1967 Mustang Coupe

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Motor's pulled apart, timing was checked and started scuffing everything. I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN, OK?

I'd have that shit done in a suitcase and a nights work. If tyler (whippy) was there with me, it'd be more beer but more like a half night. Get it done homie!

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got the 67 pushed back in the shop today. Been busy with work and trying to get my daily squared away (which didn't work, may have a Civic bonfire later) but got the clutch cable kit in today and started yanking wires. Taking a break for dinner and hoping to have all of the wires out tonight and start rewiring the car Tuesday. Slow-n-steady starts again.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I suck at getting pictures BUT I got most of the wiring out of the car, still got to finish pulling the trunk wires... but I'm at a spot now where I've got to decide how far I'm going to go.

I've had a leak occasionally and assumed it was from the cowl area. And I was right. The cowl vent on the passenger has always been missing, and the driver one literally fell off in my hands and I actually got a decent look at the rot. Most of it just looks bad from the previous owners attempting to fix it with pourly done fiberglass work, but regardless it needs attention. So now I've got to decide whether I want to pull the cowl off and fix the problem or if I want to try and pull the fenders off, attempt to fix the drain, and patch it better from the interior. I WANT to pull the cowl off and do it right but that involves pulling the windshield out and a lot of extra work, not to mention more money.

Either way, I think I'm going to pull whats left of the factory heater and redo it all with a Vintage Air unit. This will get rid of my sticky controls and rusty cables and it should let me get rid of the fan motor that sticks out into the engine bay. Got to do some measuring to make sure it will work but I think it should fit easily.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ugh, cowel work on these things sucks.
GL bro!

Did you have to do any work on yours? Or did swapping the firewalls take care of that headache? Really curious how the drains are setup on these and how much I can get to without hacking the whole thing up.

The more I look at it, the more I think I'll be able to patch it without pulling the cowl off. Maybe. The passenger side has a little rot but after knocking the fiberglass off, it looks like someone has already put a piece of metal over the vent and it doesn't look too bad. The drivers side is a mess and I'm going to have to knock a lot of it off to see what I've got to work with.

Doing something like this may be enough to fix the driverside without having to yank the windshield, but I haven't pulled the fender off yet to see how much work that'll actually take. But it looks a lot better than taking everything off.
cowl3.jpg

Started getting ready for rust repair in the trunk. The previous owner's answer to all rust was to cover it with fiberglass. And I'll admit that in the trunk, that worked pretty well but I don't like it. Some areas are "mushy" feeling and I dont like that. Got as much of the fiberglass up as I could real quick. Going to have to pull the tank to really get to everything to weld it up (and being able to come up from the tank area to weld will be a lot easier than trying to weld from outside the car. Won't be the prettiest looking once it's done, but I plan on making some panels to make the trunk a LOT nicer eventually so it's no biggie.

Gonna grab my camera and actually get some pics of all this since I feel like a build thread isn't complete without them!

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
PEEKCHUR TIME

Running out of room for "projects" in this picture but this is how the car is sitting.
10355895_10202015939940049_1566387116765991257_n.jpg

Here's the mostly finished floorpan. The shifter area will likely be modified a bit once the tranny is in and I start to figure out how I want to the shifter boot. It's dirty but looks pretty good with the 3M undercoating on it.
10367595_10202015940660067_535997535413615381_n.jpg

Now for the cowl rot. Driverside first, then passenger. The driverside vent was still "attached" before I pulled the wiring out but once I realized how rough it was, a little yank and it came right on out. Notice the sweet custom fiberglass work and dirt dobber nests... Bleh. Passenger side isn't so bad, it was almost like a fiberglass dome coming down, but I cut it up to get a look inside and thats a clean piece of metal so hopefully that was done halfway right. Not holding my breath on that though. Still pondering how I want to fix it.
10322743_10202015941980100_6046719484235841594_n.jpg

10277548_10202015942860122_8200235982627114670_n.jpg

Here's the biggest section of rot in the trunk. There was literally just a layer of fiberglass laid down over that area. Shouldn't be too bad to cut out and weld a solid piece over it. Going to try and cut one large section out and put once piece down over doing lots of small sections like I did in the floor pan. There's a few smaller areas too that need some work but nothing major. This car may look like a bit of hobbled together Frankenstein shit when it's done but it'll be solid metal and with it having a mangled up core support and everything else, I'm not too worried about so long as the rust is gone and it's solid again.
10366080_10202015945500188_4074285184020561880_n.jpg

And finally old vs new wiring harnesses yay. Got to figure out where I'm going to mount that massive new fuse box and I need to order in that heater I was talking about earlier and get it mocked into place too.
10303777_10202015943900148_4723227287842820065_n.jpg

10325654_10202015944740169_2418041010522572812_n.jpg

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yay old spaghetti and new spaghetti :)

But man rot sucks :(

I'm really excited about the new wiring. I had to chase down a lot of random electrical issues with this car back when I was driving it so it's exciting to know that once all this is in and the bugs are chased down, I should be good to go for years. Plus this kits gives me loads of options on adding in new stuff and overall should make it much nicer to do any sort of electrical work.

The rot does suck, I really REALLY do not want to have to pull the cowl off but I really REALLY REEEAAALLLYYY do not want to put this car back together with it still in there. Guess it's time to start ordering new stuff to fix it and finding somewhere to store all the stuff that's coming out of this car because the pile is getting pretty big.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMO, Shoot some POR 15 in the cowl area then weld in cover panels over the cowl grills and call it done.
I think the cowl panel is spot welded on and is a nightmare to to get off. I know it is on my 66 anyway.

Jimzstang

Reaction score
Man, does this car bring back memories!
My first car was a 67 coupe (back in, ahem, 88).... Enjoy the ride!!!

Sent from my the death star

RichV

Reaction score
Do you have stock suspension? How did you get the wheels under it? Spacers?

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have stock suspension? How did you get the wheels under it? Spacers?

Stock-ish for the most part. The car is currently running the Mustangs Plus Grab-a-Track setup which is slightly lowered in the front. Wheels fit fine. Small 1/4" spacers on the rear for a little bit of added clearance. Not sure on offsets or anything like that. A local wheel shop is the only place I could find staggered 17/18's and I let him take care of all that.

Here's a picture of the car back right after I got the wheels so you can see the actual stance of it. It'll get more low eventually.
45875_1374575044400_6246855_n.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OK, Duh,
nice looking car - and you still have space man, :D

i'm not sure what you mean by pulling the cowel off - it's part of the body, doesn't come off.
in mine, we had to cut it off and rework the bottom to fit the new dash, then weld the whole thing back into place.
you have to work on it through the holes and bottom.

I think you're going to want to grind/remove as much surface rust and flakey rusty nuggets as possible,
then, instead of just covering it up, treat it with a neutralizer/encapsulator.

Check here:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rust-reconverter-lt.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...m={keyword}&utm_campaign=NonBr-Rust+Solutions

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OK, Duh,
nice looking car - and you still have space man, :D

i'm not sure what you mean by pulling the cowel off - it's part of the body, doesn't come off.
in mine, we had to cut it off and rework the bottom to fit the new dash, then weld the whole thing back into place.
you have to work on it through the holes and bottom.

I think you're going to want to grind/remove as much surface rust and flakey rusty nuggets as possible,
then, instead of just covering it up, treat it with a neutralizer/encapsulator.

Check here:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rust-reconverter-lt.html

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...m={keyword}&utm_campaign=NonBr-Rust+Solutions

I guess I shouldn't say you can just pull it off but it does come apart. You have to pull the fenders and windshield out, drill the 100+ spot welds out, and the upper cowl can then be separated from the lower section. From everything I've read and the people I've talked to, it's a major ***** but at the same time, this car is as far apart as it's ever been and it's the perfect time to do it if I'm going to do it. I've been cutting out most every bit of rust I've come across and it doesn't seem right to leave the biggest part of it in there.

It'll also give me a chance to make sure the upper cowl section is attached correctly and sealed because my cowl grills don't exist, they've been filled, but I'm still getting a leak from the lower cowl which means water is coming from somewhere and running into it and after seeing all the other "half-right" work on the car, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't done quite right either.

I don't know, it's a whole lot of work and a lot to think about because it's going to be a big decision either way. To go the quick and easy way and fix it the best I can from below or cut and weld and cut and weld until it's sealed up and fixed nicely.

EDIT: Quick google search found me this pic to show what I'm talking about.
install-M136L-1.jpg

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
good luck, that job isn't for the weak.

Your leak might be coming from the windshield seal.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
totally man, now is the time to take care of it.
water gets in from the vents. there should be a drain gap on either side.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got some time to go mess with the Mustang. Still have decided how I'm going to tackle the cowl area so I decided to mess with the trunk area.

Pulled the tank, and start banging around and found a good bit more rot and poorly covered repairs. The passenger side rear corner where the tanks drops down was literally a piece of metal siding riveted in and the whole area was covered in some sort of body filler. There was a hole about as big around as your fist in the metal below the green spots on the trunk picture above. Started cutting some out that I plan on fixing with just sheetmetal, going to order a few replacement pieces for the more formed areas. I'll have pics of the damage later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell