1992 Toyota Pickup Build

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Well, I never started a build thread for the mustang and I regretted it, so I figured I better start one for the truck. I had been looking for a late 80s-early 90s pickup for about a year and I finally got one. I bought a one-owner, all original, low mileage 1992 Toyota Pickup. It was driven by a woman and never taken off road. The body/paint isn't in great shape, but the interior is spotless and the truck is mechanically sound. General plans for the truck in the near future are 4.88 gears, 2" lift, and 33x12.50 BFG All-terrains.

Picture from the craigslist add.

IMG_0221.jpg

Pictures from the day I picked it up. Guy in the pic is my buddy that went to northern va with me to pick it up. Im from south western va by the NC/VA state line

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

First step was to remove all of the grandpa add-ons which consisted of bed cover, stickers, rusted rear bumper, step rails, and mud flaps. Much cleaner after all that was removed.

IMG_0228_1.jpg

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking forward to seeing you install a '85 solid front axle, and a 1uz V8. Trucks need V8's and solid axles (plural).

But don't listen to me. It's really easy for ME to spend YOUR money.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Alright, I'm looking forward to seeing you install a '85 solid front axle, and a 1uz V8. Trucks need V8's and solid axles (plural).

But don't listen to me. It's really easy for ME to spend YOUR money.

Yeah I think a SAS conversion is in my future, but right now, IFS and a mild body lift will suffice

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
First up, gears. The truck came with 4.30 gears, but I'm going with 4.88s so theyll match 33" tires perfectly. The easiest way to regear a toyota pickup to 4.88s is to get them out of a 4runner. 4 runners with 31" tires, v6, and a towing package came with 4.88s. I got lucky and found a set on craigslist for $350. They also came with ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) which is basically push button 4wd where my truck has manual hubs. I basically took the ADD system off the 4.88s and switched my manual hub axle tubes onto the differential. The rear center chunk is a direct swap.

4.88 front differential with ADD

IMG_0726.jpg

Pulled my 4.30 front differential out of the truck and test fit the new 33" BFG A/T's

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Started disassembling the 4.30 diff to swap everything over to the 4.88s

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Then disassembled the 4.88s to swap over my manual hub axles

IMG_0728.jpg

Then assembled everything

IMG_0742.jpg

Pulled the bed to prep for paint and clean

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Pulled the rear rusty center chunk out of the diff housing

IMG_0712.jpg

Cleaned the housing and mating surface

IMG_0743.jpg

New studs

IMG_0768.jpg

And installed the new center chunk

IMG_0770.jpg

This entire time I was also sanding/wire wheeling/cleaning the frame, leaf springs, axle housing etc. So I then painted everything satin black

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Would it be possible to steal the entire push-button 4wd system from a 4runner? Wouldn't that be better than having to lock your hubs manually? Great work on cleaning and painting the frame & bits.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=20078]DavidBoren[/MENTION] you could make the switch if you really wanted to, you would just have to wire the button up to the cab. I kept manual hubs for two reasons. First, the add system makes the axle in two pieces so that 4wd can be engaged and disengaged where as the manual hubs use a stronger solid axle running into the diff. Second, when add is NOT engaged, the axles and cv's still turn even though the front driveshaft isn't which wears out the cv's and front diff components quicker. Where as with manual hubs, when they are set to free, literally nothing is turning but the wheels

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. That makes perfect sense. I have been out of the 4wd game for a couple years (moved out of Montana), and have been focusing my efforts on learning road racing/pro-touring suspension design.

Cool conversion, though. I like what you are doing. I've always really liked Toyota pickups.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
[MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION] thanks man! Still working on the Jeep or is the car taking up all the time/money? lol

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice work! The frame and axles look great. It's great to start with a truck that's not rusty. I still need to swap 4.88's into my truck. More projects than time and money right now...

David, Part of the beauty of 2nd and 3rd gen Toyota is the simplicity which is why most go with manual hubs.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Didn't get lots of pictures of the lift install. I got a 2" body lift from 4crawler with upgraded blocks and grade 8 hardware. I also don't have pics of my shifter installs, but I added a short shifter from LCEngineering and a transfer case shifter from 4crawler. Love the way everything came out. The stance is perfect in my opinion. Ill also get some interior shots asap.

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
A 1UZ swap would be pretty awesome. My truck will eventually get a 5VZE when the 3VZE dies, it's a pretty easy swap. I highly recommend the 4Crawler body lifts, I have used them on a few of my trucks and 4runners and been very happy with the quality.

Installing the body lift is also a good time to install Energy Suspension poly body mount bushings. The old rubber bushing compress after 20+ years and the poly ones make the truck a lot quieter and tighter.

OP
OP
BMAC96GT

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
A 1UZ swap would be pretty awesome. My truck will eventually get a 5VZE when the 3VZE dies, it's a pretty easy swap. I highly recommend the 4Crawler body lifts, I have used them on a few of my trucks and 4runners and been very happy with the quality.

Installing the body lift is also a good time to install Energy Suspension poly body mount bushings. The old rubber bushing compress after 20+ years and the poly ones make the truck a lot quieter and tighter.

I do regret not replacing the body mount bushings when I was in there. The truck only has 150,000 miles so they were still in decent shape

And I plan on a 5vze swap as well when the 3vze dies. What all is involved in that swap? I have't done much research on it

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Didn't get lots of pictures of the lift install. I got a 2" body lift from 4crawler with upgraded blocks and grade 8 hardware. I also don't have pics of my shifter installs, but I added a short shifter from LCEngineering and a transfer case shifter from 4crawler. Love the way everything came out. The stance is perfect in my opinion. Ill also get some interior shots asap.

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

That looks great! Short shifter is a great addition, I have the Marlin Crawler one. Nice work.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good looking truck. I have a 89 yota 4x4 reg cab, 22re. It currently has 340,000 miles but the origional engine burnt a vlv a 310k and it was the same price to buy a used engine off c/l vs rebuilding the head. It's a great truck but I really wish it was an extended cab like yours.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I do regret not replacing the body mount bushings when I was in there. The truck only has 150,000 miles so they were still in decent shape

And I plan on a 5vze swap as well when the 3vze dies. What all is involved in that swap? I have't done much research on it

You have to change the exhaust crossover behind the motor and re pin a lot of the engine harness. There is a whole section with lots of info over on Yotatech.com.

Also check out www.toyonlyswaps and www.offroadsolutions.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
looks awesome man especially for a body lift. not that there is anything wrong with body lifts typically but i've seen some bad ones lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online