1994 Cobra IRS conversion

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
95riosnake, I'll post pics when I get it all in the car. My rear tires were right on the edge of the fender but I was running a 1.25" spacer. As far as what I've read the IRS is .75" wider on each side for a total of 1.5" wider than SRA. As for the original bushings.....BIG pain in the ars. The last two were the easiest; I ran a 1/4" drill bit through the rubber around the metal insert in the center until I could pass the drill all the way around without taking it out of the rubber. Then hammer a screw driver through at the outside of the bushing and pull the rubber with a pair of pliers while cutting it loose with an exacto knife. Then run a 2" wire wheel throughto get the last of the rubber bushing out. I tried using a torch to burn some ofthe rubber out but it didn't seem to have much of an effect and I didn't want to leave the torch on the IRS to long and cause a heat problem.
I'm going to use the emergency brake cables that were on the 94 and removed the ones from the IRS unit.
The ABS wires were easy, just pull the rear seat bottom and unplug the originals and when the IRS goes in just run the new wires though the old hole and plug it in.

95riosnake

Reaction score
Honestly I think the PITA of removing the factory bushings (and the cost of a FTBR kit) might be the biggest thing I'm having a problem getting on board with, lol. I'll be following your progress for sure, it may help make up my mind.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
93blucoupe, don't mean to hijack. Just posting these pics since I think they'll help a few people.

Riosnake,

I've done the bushing swap on one of my friends '03 cobra, as long as you get the tools from FTBR then it'll make the job A LOT easier. Here are some cell pics I took of the process...
Bushings out (missing the rear diff mount bushing and front diff mount bushings)
Photo1712.jpg

Rubber from drilling the cradle bushings out with a 1/4" bit
Photo1710.jpg

Upper control arms with bushings removed and grease fittings installed
Photo1721.jpg

...with bushings installed
Photo1729.jpg

Lower control arms with bushings removed
Photo1715.jpg

Cradle front bushings bore cleaned with 2" wire wheel
Photo1717.jpg

...and now with delrin bushing and aluminum sleeve installed
Photo1730.jpg

Cradle with control arms mounted and torqued along with cradle delrin bushings installed.
Photo1731.jpg

Back in the car
Photo1736.jpg

I did this job all by myself so don't think you can't get the irs in or out alone. Took me 3 days from removal to install of the irs along with the bushing swap. Worked on it about 4hrs each day. Remember, get the tools from FTBR and you're life will be SO MUCH EASIER!!!

Also not pictured are the 9/16 bolts I installed in the front of the IRS cradle where it mounts to the body. Just about every 03-04 cobra came with the wrong size bolts in these locations (12mm instead of 14mm) so there is a clunk from the IRS moving around when you go into gear. The 9/16 (grade 8) is basically the same size as the 14mm bolts needed, you just need to drill out the hole in the pocket of the subframe to accept the bigger bolt.

-Esteban

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Thanks Mystic, I didnt get any pics while I was removing the old bushings. I didn't get the ftbr bushings or tool, which at this point I regret since it's been 2 weeks since I ordered the bushings from mm and haven't received them yet.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
When I ordered the FTBR kit for my friend it got here in exactly 3 days, a lot faster than what I thought. I already had their tools since I had done the rear diff mount and front diff bushings on my car. Those tools make all the difference in the world and you can return them and get your money back too; I'm keeping them because I know I will be using them again on my car and others cars.

BTW, the FTBR kit is just amazing! The fit is great and instructions are easy to follow, this is one of the best made products I have laid my hands on.

castine917

Reaction score
Thanks Mystic, I didnt get any pics while I was removing the old bushings. I didn't get the ftbr bushings or tool, which at this point I regret since it's been 2 weeks since I ordered the bushings from mm and haven't received them yet.
Call to check progress. I waited for my cage from them and it turned out to be a bank/credit card address was different(bank address) than ship address so they never shipped or called me. They said it looked like a fraud attempt. I had to call my bank to have info fixed then they shipped. That was years ago but, bushings shouldn't take more than a week.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Just got delivered. I called last week and got a story about the holidays and people out sick. It still shouldn't have taken seven days just to get the partsto UPS. Whatever, at least I finally got the bushings. Should be able to start installing the IRS Monday or Tuesday.

95riosnake

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and info Mystic, I didn't know they had special tools for the bushings. That's good to hear, I'll definitely be getting those when the time comes.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Looking good, Hey if anyone knows of anyone selling tips for the Magnaflow IRS car back let me know!!

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
Ok so the IRS is in and all that's left is bleeding the brakes and welding the exhaust up. Unfortunately rain is moving in so it will be Thursday before I can do anything. Here's some pics the first few are the bushing install and then some pics of the IRS in the car. I didn't get any pics of the IRS install in progress as we need to touch anything electronic without washing our hands.
f327b81a.jpg

d402fac6.jpg

9b7cc42e.jpg

348cecac.jpg

8dbc8e3d.jpg

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
The vertical bolts when we installed them the first time they started to draw the trunk flor down so we fabbed a couple steel plates 4" by 8" to absorb the load across a larger area and tie the stress of the bolts together.

OP
OP

93blucoupe

Reaction score
FINISHED! got the exhaust welded up and the brakes bled. Took a short test drive and really like it, noticed a big improvement in cornering and handling. Here's a couple pics of how it sits and the exhaust. The rear spring are stock 03 Cobra with 3/4 coil cut off. I'm going to sell my front and rear B springs and lower the car about 3/4" more after I put new wheels on.
870669ea.jpg

6cb3b379.jpg

2b40c601.jpg

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work man. Almost pulled the trigger and did this on my mystic but didnt want to hassle with all the odds and ends. Still wish I had gone through with it.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
nice but why does it look like the tips are hanging suuuuuper low, and crooked? I really want irs on my car, but im not sure how much it will cost me, and how hard it will be.

cobra head

Reaction score
i got to say u done a really good job but yes it is time for new wheels and some fat tires

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the completely blacked out rear looks great.
nice job on the IRS as well, but as stated, it would look better with new wheels & wider tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online