1994 Convertible Side Rain Leak

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all.

Some of you may know I have posted previously of the fun I have getting water out the car after heavy rain. Well, got in her tonight whilst the rain was descending and realised the seatbelt was a bit damp. Turned round and.....

IMG_20230704_200033865_HDR.jpg

There's a water drop there on the inner rubber near the simulated B pillar. And that's where I'm pretty sure it's getting in.

So my question is, anyone got any ideas how is getting there? All looks sealed good, the outside hood covers that so it's not running down the roof and I can't see anywhere obvious that the law of gravity can help with it.

I'm lost. Any ideas out there?

Thanks all.

TMW

Snorky

Reaction score
Hi all.

Some of you may know I have posted previously of the fun I have getting water out the car after heavy rain. Well, got in her tonight whilst the rain was descending and realised the seatbelt was a bit damp. Turned round and.....

View attachment 26815

There's a water drop there on the inner rubber near the simulated B pillar. And that's where I'm pretty sure it's getting in.

So my question is, anyone got any ideas how is getting there? All looks sealed good, the outside hood covers that so it's not running down the roof and I can't see anywhere obvious that the law of gravity can help with it.

I'm lost. Any ideas out there?

Thanks all.

TMW
Can you take a picture of the spot from thr outside. I'm curious hoe the joint goes together/mates

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
water can do some funny things you would not expect it to do. if you have the general area figured out sit inside the car(or have a friend/helper do it) and use a hose to concentrate what areas are wet and see when you see it inside the car vs where you hosing down outside.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
94 convertible owner here. You can replace the seals, and all will be good. …for about a year. Removable hardtop? Same result. I keep a towel with me so that I can still drive through car washes.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Your roof seal is torn and gouged from the quarter window. Mine is torn but still has the material. Whenever I raise the quarter windows now I put my finger on the gasket and push it out of the way as the window raises into its final position. Those pointy tops tear the weaterstripping.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Really? All looks ok to me. How can you tell that?

What can I look for to confirm that?

Thanks

TMW

Last edited:

Slice

Reaction score
Also should mention older convertible tops shrink back and pull away from the windows and rubber so there may be some loose tolerance there that doesn't even look like it...

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Cheers. I had a new top fitted a couple of years ago so that should all be good

TMW

maillemaker

Reaction score
Here is mine (1995). Yours seems to have a big chunk missing?

Attachments

• IMG_7971.jpg
    IMG_7971.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1689178198026.jpeg
    1689178198026.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Right with you now.

Just checked the other side and it's the same - exactly the same bit missing.

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Right with you now.

Just checked the other side and it's the same - exactly the same bit missing.

TMW
I think I've got some rubber tubing somewhere - I'll see if I can make something to work

TMW

maillemaker

Reaction score
I think the sharp stabby point on the top of the quarter window was a design flaw. It's harsh on the weatherstripping. Whenever I put the top down I always lower the windows first, and when I put the top back up I raise the windows after, and put my finger on the weatherstripping to keep the quarter windows from jabbing the weatherstripping.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I think the sharp stabby point on the top of the quarter window was a design flaw. It's harsh on the weatherstripping. Whenever I put the top down I always lower the windows first, and when I put the top back up I raise the windows after, and put my finger on the weatherstripping to keep the quarter windows from jabbing the weatherstripping.

I do the same with the window lowering. Used to have MX-5's and they advise with them to drop the windows a bit before doing the roof so it always stuck with me.

As said, I'll take a look and see if I can get something in to help the process.

Thanks again for sharing the images and pointers.

Will advise in a few days how it goes and what I find ...

TMW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online