1994 V6 Convertible Roof Changed - slight gap!

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have now had the roof changed and, has to be said, looks good - image below of when I went to collect...

IMG_20200217_1549113.jpg

It's a really good job, but there's a slight issue - I have a couple of gaps behind the rear window, the same both sides...

IMG_20200219_0802312.jpg

I can't remember if the old roof had the same, but it does seem to cover more than the old one. The guy who did the fitting (who has done these before) said there is a drainage channel there so if anything gets in it should just go down that, but I was wondering if anyone had any views / ideas on what could be missing, if anything?

All the seals I had on the original are back on again and there's no water in that I have found.

IMG_20200219_0802351.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

Silver95bird

Reaction score
i know nothing about how to adjust or make a convertible seal. but i will say that is going to be noisy as hell and act like a parachute at highway speed, much less the water issue. Hopefully some other Vert owners can chime in.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Well, on the positive, it's not as big a gap as it may look in the photo.

I took her up to 70 on the way home from the fitting and the noise was as previous and no effect of air gushing in either so in that respect, all good.

Be good to know what others have in that area so I can see what's (potentially) missing...

Regards

TMW

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have a pair of 98 ragtops in the back garage tucked in for the winter with the tops up. I'll take a look tomorrow and report back.

PinkieT

Reaction score
pinki.jpg yellow.jpg Here you go. Mine look the same way. No wind or water leaks.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Thanks for checking and posting.

Can't quite tell from the angle - have you got the gap into the car from the side like I have too (see my picture 2)?

Regards

TMW

PinkieT

Reaction score
Ah, I see the gap you are talking about now. Give me a few...

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Ah. So you have a gap of some kind there too.

Interesting.

I will be taking her out Saturday so will listen for some slooping and check the carpet / seat.

The guy who did the fitting said that it's a drainage channel under there anyway so in theory all should be good.

How odd I never spotted it before with the old one, but then I guess I wasn't going to be looking for it...

Thanks for the photies and checking.

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Just looking at your images again there, looks like your top one has another piece of rubber of some kind next to that plastic bit, but the bottom one doesn't?

I've got some sticky-back rubber in the garage so may make a bit of filler for that and stick it on and see what happens...

Regards

TMW

PinkieT

Reaction score
Top one had the window up, the other down. That may make a difference, the window pushes the seal out, but I don't know. They are in hibernation for the winter, not ready to wake up yet!

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
So I've got some new sticky foam stuff coming - around 10mm thick.

Will use that to plug the gap at the side bit and see what happens...

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I should have done this sooner but finally got a chance to cut and put some foam in this afternoon.

IMG_20200307_1640345.jpg

Looks a bit naff at this angle, but side-on and from the rear you can't see anything - I did the passenger side one a bit better so may re-do the driver side in a couple of weeks.

Although interestingly I've not noticed any leaks anyway but surely prevention is a good thing?

Regards

TMW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online