1996 auto transmission leak!

sn95bythebay

Reaction score
Hello everyone this will be my first post! I am new to this site and sn95 in general. I came across this problem a week ago while driving on the highway my tailshaft seal blew off so i replaced the old seal with a factory one. I thought that would fix my problem but no the next morning i checked to see if anything was leaking and there was a big pile toward the back of the transmission pan. I assumed it was the transmission pan gasket so i replaced that. Woke up the next morning to find just as big of a pile as before but it still was leaking from the same spot (toward the back of the pan). Could this be the tailshaft housing? It is not leaking from anywhere high on the transmission it looks like it is right behind the pan! If it is the transmission housing is there a gasket that i need to buy and if so from where and is it easy enough to change it in your driveway? Any info on this matter would help me a lot. Need help asap if I don't get an answer today I will have to take it to the shop

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hello everyone this will be my first post! I am new to this site and sn95 in general. I came across this problem a week ago while driving on the highway my tailshaft seal blew off so i replaced the old seal with a factory one. I thought that would fix my problem but no the next morning i checked to see if anything was leaking and there was a big pile toward the back of the transmission pan. I assumed it was the transmission pan gasket so i replaced that. Woke up the next morning to find just as big of a pile as before but it still was leaking from the same spot (toward the back of the pan). Could this be the tailshaft housing? It is not leaking from anywhere high on the transmission it looks like it is right behind the pan! If it is the transmission housing is there a gasket that i need to buy and if so from where and is it easy enough to change it in your driveway? Any info on this matter would help me a lot. Need help asap if I don't get an answer today I will have to take it to the shop

Dont go to a shop! I can help lol. What kind of gasket did you put on the pan? If you say cork, well then its still leaking. Those are a real pain to seal up. Also, the tailshaft housing does have a gasket that seals it to the main housing. Can you take a picture of the leak and post it. Take a couple pictures and try to find the highest point of the leak.

OP
OP
S

sn95bythebay

Reaction score
I got a felpro gasket for the pan and I don't have any pictures for you sorry. But like I said the leak is right behind the pan

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I got a felpro gasket for the pan and I don't have any pictures for you sorry. But like I said the leak is right behind the pan

If it is leaking at the split between the main housing and the extension housing then the gasket is probably bad. Look on top of the transmission and make sure the vent is not clogged.

OP
OP
S

sn95bythebay

Reaction score
Would you happen to have the part number to that gasket and is it easy enough to change in my driveway

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Would you happen to have the part number to that gasket and is it easy enough to change in my driveway

I dont have a part number but I can try to find you one. Changing the gasket is not hard at all. Youll have to remove the driveshaft, support the transmission with a jack, remove the mount and crossmember, then its just as simple as unbolting the extension housing and cleaning the gasket material off, then installing the new gasket.

OP
OP
S

sn95bythebay

Reaction score
Ok doesn't sound too hard. I can't seem to find the part number so if you could that would be great. Once I replace this gasket is there any other spot it can be leaking from if this gasket change doesn't fix it

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok doesn't sound too hard. I can't seem to find the part number so if you could that would be great. Once I replace this gasket is there any other spot it can be leaking from if this gasket change doesn't fix it

I just noticed I didnt reply here, sorry about that. I posted a link to a gasket in my last post.