1996 Mustang GT Overheating Fan Problem

Chris1244

Reaction score
Hi guy's sorry to have problem that I need help with on my first post on these forums.... Well I have a 1996 Mustang GT 2V 4.6 SOHC V8 and have been having a weird cooling problem. I recently have had the fan motor assembly changed due to a bad bearing in the motor. My car overheats and the temperature gauge will reach "L" in "NORMAL" before the radiator fan kicks on. The fan is functional because it does kick on eventually and will come on when the A/C compressor is on. I have been told that the cause of this problem may lay in a "lazy" thermostat that is opening to late ... My question is will a lazy or bad thermostat cause a delay in the fans kicking in ? Or could it be the temperature coolant sensor ? My thinking is if thermostat opens to late and the coolant does not flow to the radiator the fans will not kick in? I hope that is what it is I'm not in a great financial situation right now.. Thank you guys !

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
First thing is find out what the actual temp the fan is coming on at. Actual water temp guage or lazer thermo would work too.
Our stock guages are not known for being exactly accurate.

OP
OP
C

Chris1244

Reaction score
First thing is find out what the actual temp the fan is coming on at. Actual water temp guage or lazer thermo would work too.
Our stock guages are not known for being exactly accurate.
I know I've been told so I also have white gauges which someone told me could be the culprit... the person who owned the car may have placed the needle wrong.. but if the fan is coming does that eliminate the coolant temperature sensor or thermostat ?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not necessarily. We have 2 coolant temp sensors. 1 goes only to the guage and the other is used by the computer to turn the fan on among other things.
If you have a OBD2 code reader, you might be able to read the correct coolant temp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.