How to: Installing gauges in 1995 Mustang GT.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could have used the orange wire behind the radio to supply the dimmer control and then the gauges would probably dim with the stock gauges as you adjust the headlight knob.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
you could have used the orange wire behind the radio to supply the dimmer control and then the gauges would probably dim with the stock gauges as you adjust the headlight knob.
There is a whole radio harness in there. I thought I was going to be able to tap it for power, key on power, and ground, but when I put a meter on them everything was dead. I didn't pull the previous owner's head unit so I don't know what's actually going on in there. I gave up and pulled my own runs.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea realistically you could probably power the gauges off of those power wires(if working) short of an AFR gauge, if they are working. Those can pull a little more current as I believe they heat the sender for a short time during warm up. If the radio works there is power/ground and you must have not been measuring something right.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
The radio works but must not be plugged into the legacy harness.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
The factory radio harness. Or maybe it is for optional cd unit. Can’t see what aftermarket head is plugged into.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if it works and you have sound from the speakers it sounds like it is connected to something. Depending on what system came in the car it might have a few different/extra harnesses but the main power harness is the same with all of them.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Pulled the gauges out today and re-wired the volt gauge directly to the Battery + so it now reads actual alternator output not what the isolated DC-DC output is.

IMG_8318.JPG

While I was in there I pulled out the factory radio harness (I assume that is what it is):

IMG_8317.JPG

I'm not using it so I just stuffed it back in out of the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online