1997 2V - Mild street Build

97DFG

Reaction score
The plan is to shed unnecessary weight, while maintaining certain features, have a solid frame, a respectable suspension and eventually do a full PI swap with cams!

My current project: swap my crunchy, T45 for a 3650 (got it for free)! Do I need to worry about what size clutch and flywheel I get or will either size work? Any other recommendations to make my swap easier are well appreciated! Proper transmission fluid and amount for 3650??

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I gotta say your not gonna notice much difference between the t45 and 3650 unless your t45 is already junked. I did the PI swap on my 98 last year was super easy. Shedding weight depends on how far you want to go with it. Things I did was got rid of the factory seats for some Corbeau lighter seats. Tubular suspension and coilovers, deleted the ac, abs, got rid of the charcoal canister. Ditched the front bumper support bar. Took out the carpet insulation and airbags. Put the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. I also am using some light weight drag wheels. Last year with only half of those things I got my car to 3020lbs with a full tank of gas. This year should be well under 3000lbs.

Hope that helps. Follow my build thread if you would like to see a PI swap and weight reduction in progress.

neverenuff

Reaction score
Which Corbeau seats did you go with? The GTS II's are nice but I should've sprung for the suede ones

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

97DFG

Reaction score
I gotta say your not gonna notice much difference between the t45 and 3650 unless your t45 is already junked. I did the PI swap on my 98 last year was super easy. Shedding weight depends on how far you want to go with it. Things I did was got rid of the factory seats for some Corbeau lighter seats. Tubular suspension and coilovers, deleted the ac, abs, got rid of the charcoal canister. Ditched the front bumper support bar. Took out the carpet insulation and airbags. Put the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. I also am using some light weight drag wheels. Last year with only half of those things I got my car to 3020lbs with a full tank of gas. This year should be well under 3000lbs.

Hope that helps. Follow my build thread if you would like to see a PI swap and weight reduction in progress.

synchros in my T45 are toast along with throw out bearing. gonna put the 3650 in and possibly rebuild the T45 later.
For weight reduction I was planning on rear seat delete, aluminum driveshaft, light weight flywheel and battery relocation for distribution. Want to lose rotational mass for acceleration. Charcoal canister??

98snakehorse

Reaction score
synchros in my T45 are toast along with throw out bearing. gonna put the 3650 in and possibly rebuild the T45 later.
For weight reduction I was planning on rear seat delete, aluminum driveshaft, light weight flywheel and battery relocation for distribution. Want to lose rotational mass for acceleration. Charcoal canister??

Rear seat if you are adding the aftermarket backing, doesnt really lose weight. The seat cushions and back really don't weigh and awful lot. If you wanna lose weight just take the back seats out and leave it at that. Aluminum DS is a good mod, fly wheel wouldnt be a bad addition either. Battery relocation is a good one, moves the weight to the back and cleans up the engine bay quite a bit. The charcoal canister uses engine vacuum to pull any extra pressure that is in the gas tank. It basically filters out any extra gas vapors and puts in back through the engine. The canister is mounted inside of the passenger fenderwell and has a dedicated vacuum hose that connects to your plenum. I just run an inline filter on mine and vented it to the atmosphere. Cleaned things up a bit more while shedding some more weight.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Rear seat if you are adding the aftermarket backing, doesnt really lose weight. The seat cushions and back really don't weigh and awful lot. If you wanna lose weight just take the back seats out and leave it at that. Aluminum DS is a good mod, fly wheel wouldnt be a bad addition either. Battery relocation is a good one, moves the weight to the back and cleans up the engine bay quite a bit. The charcoal canister uses engine vacuum to pull any extra pressure that is in the gas tank. It basically filters out any extra gas vapors and puts in back through the engine. The canister is mounted inside of the passenger fenderwell and has a dedicated vacuum hose that connects to your plenum. I just run an inline filter on mine and vented it to the atmosphere. Cleaned things up a bit more while shedding some more weight.

Does venting it to the atmosphere affect the smog testing? as far as emissions not visual. and does it produce a CEL?

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Does venting it to the atmosphere affect the smog testing? as far as emissions not visual. and does it produce a CEL?

No check engine light. As for smog I have no idea as im in Iowa with zero emission restrictions

Sent using my Typewriter

neverenuff

Reaction score
Best items to lose weight: A/C, tubular k-member and factory seats. Easily save 120+ pounds here alone

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

chris91

Reaction score
Your speedo isn't going to work with that 3650. You're going to need a Speedcal to fix it I do believe.

OP
OP

97DFG

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can directly swap a quick disconnect, engine portion, harness from a later 2v with the coil on plug setup to my coil pack setup?? Thanks for any info.!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online