1997 V6 to 5.0 swap.

AldenG

Reaction score
So my V6 finally let go, and I'm taking the opportunity to do a 5.0 swap. I just have some things I want to clarify before I start buying parts. I'll probably be using a 5.0, harness and computer from a Foxbody. I don't imagine it should complicate things too much, but I wanted to make sure. Obviously it'd be ideal to get everything from a 94-95 Mustang, but there are lots of Foxbody 5.0s for sale in my area already. The one I'm mainly interested in is from an '89.

As I understand it, I can use the transmission from the V6, since it's a T5 like the 5.0s had. All I need to make it fit is the bellhousing for the 5.0 right? Are the flywheels for the Foxbodies and SN95's the same?

I also read on another forum that I'd be able to reuse my '97 K member by flipping the engine mounts on the 5.0 to opposite sides? How true is this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 5.0 had a return style fuel system just like the '97 V6, so will my stock fuel system connect right up, or will that require further modification? I have a feeling I might need to upgrade to a bigger fuel pump to get the required amount of fuel to the 5.0.

Am I missing anything else? This is my first time engine swapping, so obviously I don't have a lot of experience. I'm also on a pretty tight budget, so if I could get any tips on how to do this as cost effectively as possible that'd be great. I know it won't be 'cheap.'

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get the body and engine harness from a 94-95. The fox harnesses will need a lot more work and not worth the hassle.

The k-member is the same if I remember correctly but if you want a better one let me know. I have a brand new team-z member that’s never been installed.

The T5 will work but there is differences in gearing and you will need the correct bellhousing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AldenG

Reaction score
Get the body and engine harness from a 94-95. The fox harnesses will need a lot more work and not worth the hassle.

The k-member is the same if I remember correctly but if you want a better one let me know. I have a brand new team-z member that’s never been installed.

The T5 will work but there is differences in gearing and you will need the correct bellhousing.

Will the 94-95 harness plug directly into the Fox motor with no issues? So they're literally exactly the same motor.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exact same motor. Differences will be in the placement of the tfi module and depending on what year will determine if the motor had maf or map. Iac and tps May have different ends but I can’t remember.

OP
OP
A

AldenG

Reaction score
Exact same motor. Differences will be in the placement of the tfi module and depending on what year will determine if the motor had maf or map. Iac and tps May have different ends but I can’t remember.

Should my power steering lines hook up directly to the pump that comes with the 5.0?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah