2 x AODE or 4R70W trans wanted to rebuild and help shipping to Australia?

Edz66Conv

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new on this forum which was recommended by a friend. I have a 66 Mustang with a late model 351W roller engine, currently fitted with an AOD box. I'm trying to get two AODE's or 4R70W 2 bolt starter transmissions (to suit rebuilding) and these are not available in Australia.

I'm after the one that will bolt up to a 351W roller engine (off the 93 5.0 Mustang onwards).

Does anyone have any contacts, preferably on the West Coast as shipping will be cheaper? Maybe a wrecker they have dealt with before who is happy to deal with an overseas buyer and can help get them to the dock in LA. I have someone who will handle shipping from there.

Any help appreciated

Eddy

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Your best bet for that kind of application is a 98-02 4r70w from a mustang 3.8l v6, or maybe one from something like a ranger or explorer that had v6/V8 Windsor pushrod engines as well. Less upgrading to do the newer it is. 03+ are likely not to have the gear for the VSS to mount to.
Are you rebuilding the AOD with newer parts, or adding fuel injection and all the OBD2 electronics to the 66? I ask because a v6 4r70w will need upgrading to handle 351 torque.

OP
OP
E

Edz66Conv

Reaction score
Hi Silver95bird
I have a friend who has built a lot of AODs who will be rebuilding it with good bits. The motor is actually a 408 stroker , 420 hp, 480 ft lbs at 3000 rpm so, yes, it will be built stronger to handle the power, kevlar bands and upgraded friction plates and valve body etc. Carby at the moment but probably fit a Holley sniper later so simple fuel injection. From the reading I have done, the 4r70W is a better gearbox with hardened gear-sets to start with so I'll probably go with that.

I just need to confirm what will bolt up to the older windsor and any contacts in LA or the west coast that I can source a pair of transmissions from.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
At one time there had been a kit to build an AOD with the wide ratio gearset in the Ford Racing catalog, but I doubt it's still available. If you can find the instructions online it'll be a perfect how to for your job.

Kevlar bands aren't really necessary, IMO, as no version of those transmissions should ever be WOT shifted 3-4. Make sure you have the wider reverse drum and the wider OD band, and the lifespan is much improved. Leave it in Drive, not OD for racing. In AOD form it's hell on the OD bands/direct drums/input shafts, and in the electronic versions it usually snaps the stub shaft first. A lot of stronger AODs seem to go for the non lockup setup, but I'd imagine they make a TON of heat that way. Brings me to my next two recommendations: flush out the cooler.lines with one of those solvent cans meant for the job, blowing out the lines afterward. Second, get an aftermarket trans cooler. The bigger the better.

I can't recommend enough to read the transmissions OD 101 article. It's at tccoa.com in their tech articles, written by a Ford transmission engineer. Long story short, a very stout transmission can be built with mostly stock parts.

If you're rebuilding the AOD with the better gearset from a donor trans, get a 98+ one from any V8 car. It'll be better than the v6 version. Your initial post made it sound like you wanted a 4r70w with a Windsor bellhousing, and we're going to drop it in with all the electronics intact.

I've built a few AODEs and 4R70Ws, all outlasted the cars I put them in. The seal rings on the Pistons in the drums are the worst to get in without damaging them. And those springs like the one on the forward clutch will seriously take an eye out. Be careful.

OP
OP
E

Edz66Conv

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info, great help. I have a very large trans cooler in front of the radiator now and my trans only has 1500 miles on it. I'll chase that article, sounds like a good read. I also have the one from slideshow who is a pro at building these. So 4r70w 98 - 02 from a V8?
Cheers.

driftin

Reaction score
That sounds a fun and challenging project. Sub to see your progress. Goodluck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online