2000 Convertible exterior a-pillar problem?

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Did you ever get any shots of the windshield area on that 01? I've tried everything I can think of aside from cutting out the seal in that a-pillar piece to get it to lay down. That'll be next though...

I actually did. I am uploading a bunch of photos from my phone to IMGUR right now. I should be able to post it pretty quick.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
gUnjGPn.jpg

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
The seal on mine looks different there, yours has a bit cut out around the edge, where mine doesn't. It also looks like yours is flush at the top, where mine is actually raised. I need to get a picture from about the same angle on mine, may go out there and do that in a few minutes to see how it compares. It looks to me like my windshield isn't sitting as far down as it should be, especially compared to your picture. I'm going to call Safelite and see what they can figure out, it's definitely there screwup if the glass is sitting out higher than it should be..

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Mine from the side:

2014-04-08%2010.38.33.jpg

And Another:

2014-04-08%2010.38.55.jpg

I'm going to try calling Safelite and see what they can do (or if they'll do anything, since I wasn't the one who had it done, I do have the receipt at home somewhere though..

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Called Safelite, they were very helpful, and although the warranty usually doesn't transfer to a new owner, they are going to honor it in this case. Scheduled for a new windshield next Wed (the 16th).

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score

I just hope it fixes the problem, although I'm 99% sure it will. Now that's not to say that the 2 parts on my car aren't warped now due to the stress that's been on them for a year though.. May still need those 2 parts, so hopefully SVTstang96's parts are the same as mine. I also noticed that the earlier pictures aren't being displayed correctly, I'll have to check into that if he needs to see how mine mount again..

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I just hope it fixes the problem, although I'm 99% sure it will. Now that's not to say that the 2 parts on my car aren't warped now due to the stress that's been on them for a year though.. May still need those 2 parts, so hopefully SVTstang96's parts are the same as mine. I also noticed that the earlier pictures aren't being displayed correctly, I'll have to check into that if he needs to see how mine mount again..

I think they may be the same not 100% sure but I will dig them out from the back of the shelves tonight or tomorrow and grab those pictures for you.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Technician came out this morning, and was able to fix it without replacing the glass. He explained that the problem is the seals used on the aftermarket windshields are a tad thicker than the factory seals, so if everything isn't put back perfectly they stick up. Also the rubber seals on my trim pieces were hard as a rock, where new they'd have been a bit pliable. He was able to make them lay down, but it took a bit of tweaking the metal where the screw goes in (he moved it up maybe about 2mm), and now they sit like they are supposed to.

As of right now, they look like they are supposed to, so that's one less thing I have to worry about, lol.

2014-04-16%2009.01.12.jpg

2014-04-16%2009.01.27.jpg

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
He also said I have the newer windshield seal on my car (seals the top and door windows to the windshield frame), like on the '01+ model convertibles, and he had just replaced one like it on an install job a few days before. Might need to order new one, mine's seen better days...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.