2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Swapped in a 1999 Cobra cluster.

I did it the not-so-common way and used ForScan to pair the IC module to the ECU and then mate the PATS keys to the cluster. WOrked perfectly. I assume the speedometer will read 100% correct, however the mileage is off.

My car has 70K miles, this cluster has 65K. Yeah it's close but I don't want to much around with mileage issues on a 70K mile car I may sell one day. Unless i can find a solution to this, i'll likely just do the board swap method. This will keep the mileage the same, but the speedo will be off slightly since the GT is a 150MPH speedo ad cobra is 160MPH. It's not a speedo gear calibration issue, it's a display issue. The odometer is right but the board things its sweeping a needle on a 150MPH face.
IMG_9370.jpeg

Just want to verify the speedo is dead on and then i;ll board swap to get my mileage correct.

But I love this look
IMG_9368.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Pulled a hard vacuum. Refilled with nitrogen and then another hard vacuum and recharged the AC. Held the N2 pretty well so I think I got all the leaks.

IMG_9455.jpeg

Not much left to do. Have some issues with the convertible top motor. I’ve topped it off a few times and it struggles to lift the top at times. If I stop the top halfway and leave it it slowly returns down. It’s 50/50 on cylinders or motor and based on what I’m seeing I’m going motor firsts

Alignment, tint, done. Sell it. Buy a Cobra (just kidding…for now)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So this car has always had a stinky exhaust. Not rich, but dawned on me that it may be lean.

So I plugged in my data tool and decided to look at the O2s and sure as hell they register as lean. The voltages swing down to near 0 frequently indicating it’s trying to add fuel.

Quick Look at fuel trims and it’s definitely adding fuel.

IMG_9492.jpeg
IMG_9496.jpeg

Both banks go lean frequently, so probably a vac leak somewhere. Of course I loaned out my smoke tester to a friend. Grr.

Also traced an accessory whine to an aftermarket tensioner on the car. Ordered up a new Motorcraft tensioner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.