2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Got a lot done today. Still waiting on injection-o rings so holding there for now.

Refilled coolant
Drained and filled power steering fluid
Drained and filled trans fluid
New spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets
PI intake
Replaced transmission mount
Adjusted hood latch

since I was on a roll, I decided to pull off and replace the AC line that was leaking. Quick swap, and pulling a vacuum as we speak

IMG_8669.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Managed to pick up some 99-04 calipers. These have 40.5mm pistons as opposed to the 38mm pistons on the 94-98 cobra calipers (which I have on the car)

The MC is 1/16” bigger on the 99+ cars so I’m hoping swapping to the “correct” cobra calipers improves feel. They are too firm right now.

Debating leaving the cobra, or sanding it all down and doing the ‘01 Bullitt pony.

IMG_8674.jpeg

Snorky

Reaction score
Managed to pick up some 99-04 calipers. These have 40.5mm pistons as opposed to the 38mm pistons on the 94-98 cobra calipers (which I have on the car)

The MC is 1/16” bigger on the 99+ cars so I’m hoping swapping to the “correct” cobra calipers improves feel. They are too firm right now.

Debating leaving the cobra, or sanding it all down and doing the ‘01 Bullitt pony.

View attachment 33641
Keep the cobra!!!
You can buy bullit pony ones from AM. But not cobra ones

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Done. Started it up. Burped the coolant system (I think) and finally adjusted my darn hood latch so it closes easily.

Not really might left to do:

Charge A/C
Alignment
hood scoop
Swap cobra calipers
Tint windows

And then decide what I’m doing for my wheels because the current tires are 8 years old so need to replace them.

IMG_8698.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Guess you never know what you'll get with Cardone.

These are both the same line reman calipers but just opposite sides. One looks like a beat up used Cobra caliper, and the other looks like a new casting from PBR.

1711564434063.png

I think i might Amazon prime me another caliper and see what shows up. I'd like to get both of the left if possible. Then i can paint and apply pony

GTamas

Reaction score
I liked the previous wheel better on your Sn95. This wheel is a bit more edgy, in my opinion better suited to the edgy design of the fox.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
And threw a bullitt wheel on. Now to think about my next step. There are pros and cons to each choice.

I also have a mint set of ‘98 cobra wheels, but those aren’t going to be one of the choices here. Saving those….

IMG_8862.jpegIMG_8859.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Put about 20 miles on the car today.

The PI swap (over the Dorman intake) made a very noticeable difference over 3000-4000 rpm. Definitely pulls harder at upper RPM. I buy the 15-20HP difference LMRs dyno video showed.

Now it feels like it isn’t running out of steam when winding out on the highway.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Picked up a 99/01 Cobra cluster.

I realize need to be programmed, specifically PATS. But I can do this using Forscan. However in order for me to do the swap, it needs to be 100% accurate. By that I mean i need to transfer my mileage over, and the speedometer needs to work correctly. I think that can be done through ForScan as well but I will need to play around with this.

Needless to say, i will do a little research on this first.

1711983453934.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Took the 38mm piston calipers off….

IMG_8959.jpeg

Installed the 40.5mm piston calipers.

IMG_8960.jpeg

I like this better. Other caliper arrives tomorrow so I’ll get it painted up and installed shortly. Tempted to go for a drive and see how this feels with one of each on the car.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’m kind of curious to know if it would pull to that side or not.

I'm curious as well, so I'm going to go give it a try.

Same rotor and pads that were bedded in together, so the only change is the caliper piston diameters. SHould be interesting to see how it feels

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’m kind of curious to know if it would pull to that side or not.

Put a good 20 miles on the car with mismatched calipers. Couldn’t tell a difference. Kept it local at first but then even hit the highway. No pulling.

However pedal feel improved in the right direction, so now I feel like my brakes actually do something. Will need to swap the other side on shortly.

Also…bought a similar model of the car. As close as I could get. I wish I had black interior. I do still have the wheels but doubt I’ll ever put them back on.

IMG_9169.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online