2001 vert rear spoiler issue

carbuff

Reaction score
So, like most of the things on this car, my rear spoiler has been rigged. I noticed it was a bit loose but didnt really think anything of it. Well,today I removed it to find that all of the mounting studs were gone and it was held on with hardware store screws and those collapsible wing nuts. And one of the mounting areas was almost completely gone. I would just replace it but then Id need to get it painted and all. Maybe later on. And a spoiler delete is out of the question also because the mounting areas on the trunk are not a pretty picture. Anyone ever dealt with this issue? The spoiler is very thin and light so I could see how the mounts could have broken off. Maybe a common issue? Idk. I will try to get some pics up.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I find decent spoilers in boneyards. If it was me I would get one and rattle can it matte black, it will look good on a yellow car. That is what I have.

dwcopple

Reaction score
Fill the underside of the spoiler with epoxy. Drill and mount with lag screws!

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
I am definitely thinking about the matte black replacement. Theres a complete trunklid with spoiler on craigslist for 75 bucks. As far as the epoxy, they made these things so light and thin that I would need a whole lot of epoxy to make anything worth drilling into This thing is megga hollow. I can balance it on onefinger. These are both great ideas. Thanks. Also, was the original bolt a metal insert that was sort of crimped on the fiberglass?

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
The one on craigslist is for a 99. Different spoiler.:(

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with dw. Fill the holes with 2 part epoxy. Sand smooth and then drill and use a good lag.

Or get inserts and epoxy them in.

Otherwise, yeah your looking at a different wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trebor3170

Reaction score
Honestly, I think you would be best to find a replacement. I'm experienced in fiberglass layup and repair, and I doubt very seriously that I would attempt to repair that spoiler. Just epoxy will not hold, epoxy is an adhesive, not a structural element, it would need to be reinforced with glass fibers or some other structural filler. Could it be done? I'm sure it could, but you should also be concerned about the liability. If the repair fails, and it comes off, you could be liable for any damages caused.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you would be best to find a replacement. I'm experienced in fiberglass layup and repair, and I doubt very seriously that I would attempt to repair that spoiler. Just epoxy will not hold, epoxy is an adhesive, not a structural element, it would need to be reinforced with glass fibers or some other structural filler. Could it be done? I'm sure it could, but you should also be concerned about the liability. If the repair fails, and it comes off, you could be liable for any damages caused.

Only issue I have with this statement is the fact that some body panels are assembled with epoxy and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rear quarter fly off of a Camaro driving down the road!!!! [emoji38]

The right epoxy’s are stronger than the material they adhere to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Yeah, Im still waiting on a replacement to show up on craigslist. Junkyards around here want as much as new for stuff. Till then Im still driving around with 4 squares of duct tape covering the holes. People ask me what it is and I tell them its the ultra rare option, spoiler delete. LOL.

HOOPTIE_97GT

Reaction score
If you want to try rigging it get some sheet metal and cut it to fit the area that’s black on the spoiler mount. Drill two small holes and mount the plates with epoxy under them to the spoiler mounting areas. Drill mounting holes in the metal plate and use sheet metal screws to mount the spoiler. Or use a ton of JB weld.

Best option is a new spoiler. Try OfferUp if they have it where you are. I’ve bought a bunch of stuff there.

delling3

Reaction score
I am a boat guy. Get some west systems epoxy, and some colloidal silica filler. Mix according to directions, and use a syringe to inject the epoxy. You can use threaded inserts, or drill and use lag screws. It will be stronger than the wing, and probably stronger than the decklid. Vett strong structural material.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
So, Its fixed! I ended up using 4 carriage bolts and some 1.5" square metal plates I had laying around. The plates had square holes in them and after putting the carriage bolts on them I taped them together with some metal tape that I have. I fished them through the big cracked part to each hole and then I dropped it down on the trunk carefully lining up the holes. from inside I used some nuts and washers and tightened it all up. I used some silicone sealant in between to seal out any water. Its on there good. Probably much stronger than stock. Looks much better. No more funny looks at my holey trunk lid. LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.