2004 termi swap fuel questions.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
alright guys... got pretty much everything worked out... got some shop space, got the motor getting pulled this week, been doing alot of reading...

i have a 2003 shop manual and a 1996 shop manual.. and im getting cross-eyed reading some of this stuff...

My goal is (before i get started) to put in a 2003 tank that i've already baught and i would like to keep a return style fuel system.

It appears most terminator drivers upgrade to a return style system, which my engine builder also mentioned to me... (he also owns a termi)

anyways, if we cant get this all weezled out, ill register on SVTP, but im pretty sure i wouldnt fit in too well over there. lol.

the 2003/2004 gas tanks have more effective sumps, dual pumps, and a returnless style system. The last thing ford wanted was a cobra hitting a corner (with that bad ars IRS) and starve the fuel pumps...

so, how do i get this bad-ars awesome gas tank into my 96, complete with a functional return style system? Ford says "minor modifications" are required, so im not worried about the fitment, im worried about the pumps, the rails, the lines, etc. etc. etc.

also, i am getting the entire FDPM harness.

Thanks all,
Chris

KWClutch

Reaction score
Well you don't need the FPDM or harness if you're wanting to keep the return style that's already on your car. The FPDM tells the RETUNLESS pump when to turn on and off. A return style pump keeps pumping no matter what and the extra returns back to your tank. You need to figure out what you're wanting to do, but to modify your current return style to support the HP you're going to push it will be significantly more expensive than to switch your car to the 03 returnless system.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like switching to the 03 system would be better.

are your eyes still crossed?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
sounds like switching to the 03 system would be better.

are your eyes still crossed?

yea, ive got all my ford manuals out. but they dont give much tech info... just ..... how to take apart and put back together info...

lol...

KWClutch said:
Well you don't need the FPDM or harness if you're wanting to keep the return style that's already on your car. The FPDM tells the RETUNLESS pump when to turn on and off. A return style pump keeps pumping no matter what and the extra returns back to your tank. You need to figure out what you're wanting to do, but to modify your current return style to support the HP you're going to push it will be significantly more expensive than to switch your car to the 03 returnless system.

okay, so what does it take to get a dual-pump/termi tank with a return style? i dont need to *keep* the 1996 ford "OEM" stuff, if going 100% aftermarket will be easier/cheeper...

or is that a super-generalized question??

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why not just get a Walboro intank pump, and run new lines to a new fuel rail?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i dono. thats why im asking. lol.

what does that consist of? can i use the cobra tank? the cobra tank has better designed sumps to help prevent starving the pump. so, thats why i was hoping to use it... can i use the walbro with a stock hat? (ive never done anything on the fuel system, except for taking off the injectors from a friends PI motor and changing my own filter.)

jkoogler

Reaction score
your stock fuel lines for a pullied cobra will be ok. Im using stock everything except for 60 injectors, 255 in tank 255 external I modified my stock fuel rails. its very easy to do. Do a searrch on corral. This is the same set up I had on my t-trim setup and I made 475 to the tires without any issues. This will work until I add a nitrous kit but I am going to run set up small tank set up for that.

KWClutch

Reaction score
Yeah one 255 wont do it. You can also use 2 Walbros or SVT Focus pumps/ Ford Aviator pumps or better yet Ford GT pumps.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i was leaning toward ford GT pumps. but that was about all i could figure out from scrolling through svtp....

KWClutch

Reaction score
If you wanted to go return style you'd need to upgrade both of your fuel lines. Braided is the only way to go and it's expensive. You'll need to buy http://www.maperformance.com/aeromotive-adjustable-fuel-pressure-regulator-with-install-kit-dsm.html. And either modify the 03 Cobra hat or buy a FORE hat http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-04-svt-cobra-fuel-delivery-fore-precision-works-fuel-hats-c-16_261_2526/fore-precision-works-03-04-cobra-dual-walbro-pump-billet-hat-p-17794. It gets expensive really fast. That's not including the rails. You can modify rails as well or buy bigger ones.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
alright... now we are onto something... lol.

so, i'd need to buy 2 of those FORE hats, right?
plus 2 GT pumps.
Plus the aeromotive FPR Kit

And maybe even fuel rails if needed

plus that DSM FPR kit only comew with 4 feet of line..... im sure id need more???

Thats if i go aftermarket.

What will it take to get the cobra tank in without all the aftermarket stuff, trying to use my cobra/GT stuff?

What kind of power can the cobra/GT stuff handle?

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
why not just get a Walboro intank pump, and run new lines to a new fuel rail?

thats what i been telling him, but he wants to be a pain in the arse. lol

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
KWClutch said:
Yeah one 255 wont do it. You can also use 2 Walbros or SVT Focus pumps/ Ford Aviator pumps or better yet Ford GT pumps.

i dont see y it wouldnt for a 03/04 motor with mild bolt ons. my car made 550 with a single walbro and a bap with 60lb injectors. and it still has a lil room.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a termi. im pretty sure they are 39lb. but with the bolt ons and pulley u talked about before, you will prolly only have 440 -450 rwhp.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
full bolt ons, pulley, ported eaton. those are my plans... :) what kinda power? and waht kind of fuel modifications?

Aaron, i hate being a pain the ars, but i wanna look at all my options... lol.
I want to avoid a BAP, if possible, but money may speak for me. lol.

as for an upgraded cobra system, i didnt want to spend $2,000.00 so im leaning toward using as much GT stuff as i can... so NOW your advise is coming into play.. you were just ahead of your time. thats all. lol!

KWClutch

Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
KWClutch said:

Right, you're using a BAP. He would have to run an inline system like that and that is also pretty pricy. Not saying it's inferior. It's a great set up and I'd love to go return style down the road. I just think at the moment it would be cheaper/easier for him to go returnless. And Matt you'd only need ONE hat. That one hat holds both INTERNAL pumps...which is very nice.
i dont see y it wouldnt for a 03/04 motor with mild bolt ons. my car made 550 with a single walbro and a bap with 60lb injectors. and it still has a lil room.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
KW, that quote was a little tough to read... would you mind a re-post, please?

Thanks,
Chris

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
KWClutch said:
96_SVT_Cobra said:
KWClutch said:
Right, you're using a BAP. He would have to run an inline system like that and that is also pretty pricy. Not saying it's inferior. It's a great set up and I'd love to go return style down the road. I just think at the moment it would be cheaper/easier for him to go returnless. And Matt you'd only need ONE hat. That one hat holds both INTERNAL pumps...which is very nice.

Fixed. there u go chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online