2v newb with timing issue

94gtfreak

Reaction score
Been a while since I've been on here. Recently purchased a 2002 GT 5 SPD for dirt cheap because it had a "tick". Thru minor investigation I had narrowed it down to a chain/tensioner/guide issue. Replaced said parts, put it all back together and BAM......same issue! Noise only presents itself under acceleration around 1500 to 2300 rpm and pretty much any time under load (for the same rpm range) Noise comes from front passenger chain/tensioner area again. Is it possible I got another set of crappy tensioners or have an issue before said tensioner? Any help is appreciated!20190916_153659.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their may not be sufficient oil supply to the tentioner. Negligent oil changes, high miles, cause sludging in oil gallery's that have a low flow rate and chain tentioner oil gallery are suspects. The oil flow is next to nothing. The supply gallery gets full of sludge blocking nice fresh oil. Same goes for npi heads. They have an orfice, although its high flow, crap gets trapt in the orfice block the needed proper oil flow to feed the lashers. Ultimately causing the lashers to drain out and not pump up. This too would cause alot of noise

OP
OP

94gtfreak

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Guess I need to tear it back apart and check some things out.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
And who is to say im right? The problem could be something else, but i do agree with your idea of digging back into it.

Fast Lane

Reaction score
If not a tensioner issue then possibly you are hearing the Fuel injection???

Fast Lane

Reaction score
I would dump a bottle of Sea Foam in the oil. Drive it. Change the oil out with Mobil 1 5W30.

OP
OP

94gtfreak

Reaction score
I actually did this Fast Lane. After let it run thru a couple heat cycles I changed the oil and added a motor flush. Followed the instructions and then changed oil for the 5w30. After about 20 miles on the car, it's literally doing exactly what it did before. Here's a link to a video of it. RPMs arent being revved not much higher than 2300 here. Really wanting to get this p.o.s on daily status sooner rather than later.

Not sure if this is of any concern, but the tensioners I bought came with a metal plate with a hole in it. The ones I took off the car did not have these so I left them out. Are these necessary?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I actually did this Fast Lane. After let it run thru a couple heat cycles I changed the oil and added a motor flush. Followed the instructions and then changed oil for the 5w30. After about 20 miles on the car, it's literally doing exactly what it did before. Here's a link to a video of it. RPMs arent being revved not much higher than 2300 here. Really wanting to get this p.o.s on daily status sooner rather than later.

Not sure if this is of any concern, but the tensioners I bought came with a metal plate with a hole in it. The ones I took off the car did not have these so I left them out. Are these necessary?

To me that sounds like a loose chain hitting the cover or slack adjuster
That is loud
I would tare it down and inspect behind the timming cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online