2v Timing Issue.

Chibbzee

Reaction score
This isn't a "How do you time a 2v" thread. Haha. I fully understand how to time my motor (besides the whole "fold your timing chains in half to mark them. Haha.). Just a heads up. Let's just say that something went wrong and my crank got spun 45 degrees clockwise from TDC. Can I safely spin the crank counter-clockwise to the "safe zone"? I really need to know and am seriously stressing... Oh, my car is a 96 GT and I'm doing a PI cam install. So, the chains are off right now. I'm seriously freaking out. I didn't hear anything nor feel any resistance by the way.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Take the followers out, I just replied to your PM but just take the followers out, and you will be in good shape, put the #1 cylinder @ TDC and time off that. #1 and #6 are "buddy cylinders" so they will always move together.

OP
OP
Chibbzee

Chibbzee

Reaction score
Take the followers out, I just replied to your PM but just take the followers out, and you will be in good shape, put the #1 cylinder @ TDC and time off that. #1 and #6 are "buddy cylinders" so they will always move together.

Just PM'd you back man. Thank you.

OP
OP
Chibbzee

Chibbzee

Reaction score
Replied with link, pics and other goodies...

Well, here is where my crank currently sits.
ume7ama6.jpg

vudytysy.jpg

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
well get the gear on there and line some dots up but like i said you need to get the followers out so you dont bend a valve and your not fighting compresison take the spark plugs out.

massacre

Reaction score
Why people spend thousands of dollars on valvetrain parts, but won't spend a couple hundred on the proper tools to properly install said parts, is beyond me.

And the "safe zone" is bullshit that is repeated all over the Internet by people who don't know how these engines work.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7928-Valve-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002STSMQ

Just spend the 80 bucks and never look back.
Then buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6487-Serv...=2025&creative=386001&creativeASIN=B00063XMJ2

and both your piston and valve timing issues will be instantly solved forever.
This kit comes with a TDC locator/holder for the crank, two cam locks, and cam locators that fit into the rear of the D-slots on the stock camshafts so you can't get them out of phase when hanging the chains/sprockets.
Believe me it will be the best $180 bucks you ever spent. To know that it is done correctly and not damaging expensive parts is totally worth it IMHO.
You can use these tools to set your valve timing "straight up".
If you want to get into changing the valve timing events and advancing/retarding the cams from stock settings then you will need a degree wheel and dial indicator with extension, adjustable solid lash adjuster, etc.
If you never build another modular then sell the tools and recoup your money. Or rent them to friends and recoup your money. Or find them cheaper on eBay.

Wichers123

Reaction score
You didn't read the title did you, this man has a 2v the way duff has explained is the one and only way it should be done correctly.

massacre

Reaction score
You didn't read the title did you, this man has a 2v the way duff has explained is the one and only way it should be done correctly.

Yeah I ****ed up on the 2nd link, sorry. In my defense the valve spring compressor tool link was correct lol.
Thanks for pointing it out I fixed it in the original post.

Duffy's way and my way are the same we have timed 2v and 4v motors together including his and including mine and others.
I just ****ed up the link sorry.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Duffy is on the money, as always lol. Those followers MUST come out or you will definitely do some damage. I used the TFS tool and yeah it took some patience on some followers, but overall it's simple to use and will save you from bending valves when getting the timing straight

Sent from my SCH-I605 now Free

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
90% Of the patience, the attention to detail and care that ive learned to have with these engines is from [MENTION=11752]massacre[/MENTION]

massacre

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Duff.
I didn't even want to bring it up to be honest lol. I went back and forth on whether I should even respond. I was merely trying to help the OP understand that using the right tools is important and a wise investment. I did **** up and posted the wrong timing kit at first, so I can see how I could have came across as a dumbass to some. That is completely understandable.

But really, if you are looking to be as successful as possible when undertaking any automotive project, it's important to understand the full cost of the project, including specialty tools which you may not already own. If you can borrow them then even better.