3.8l to 5.0 swap

nsanders2440

Reaction score
i am building my 1996 mustang v6 into a 5.0 car what all will be required to do this please i need help im a high school student and want to start this project....

flatout blackout

Reaction score
Im trying to do the same type of swap. It seams like every forum ive posted on about it , no one knows any thing about it or they hate on u for doing it. i have a 94-95 5.0 HO im fixing to drop in my 98. Heres what i know so far since im going the fuel injected route i need the ecu almost all wiring harness instrument cluster rear end and drive shaft for a 94-95, and theres some speculation about a vacume relay under the passenger side wheel well not sure about it though. it depends on if ur going carburetted or injected as to what specifically u will need though plan on at least the drive shaft and rear end reason being i know on my 98 that i have a 7.5 with 2.73 gears and 28 spline axles and it wont hold up to the hp and trq that the 50 can lay down im going to go with an 8.8 and 3.73s. im not a mechanic by trade but ive turned a wrench or two in my time lol. so i know its going to take me a hot min to get all the kinks straitened out if any one has any mor input that could bennafit us i know i would be grateful ( i also know my spelling sux)

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You're going to need the motor, tranny, rear-end, driveshaft, a lot of the wiring, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's much more cost effective to either sell the V6 and just fork out the extra cash for a GT or buy a complete donor car if you're set on using your V6 body.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
+1 and for starters your in the build section, Normally you ask these questions in the tech sections where this type of things are talked about then buy your parts start a build thread and take pictures lol.

But on a serious note i bought my 94GT running and driving for $1k so there out there for cheap. It alot easier to just buy a 5.0 cat (94-95) as a hole running and driving OR buy a wrecked one for dirt cheap and then you will have everylast nut bolt and wire you need to do the swap.

Have any know how to turn wrenches?, any experience fabbing anything or have anyone with any experience to guide you though it. The way your coming off is you have alot of want and energy to build a car and im not knocking that at all because i was the same way when i was younger but do you atleast know the basics of what you will need to do the swap besides the motor. If not you have a long way to go...

IF you can't find enough info on here let me kno i have a buddy that did the swap not to long ago and he might not mind filling you in on the little odds and ends but its a pretty straight forward bolt in swap besides the wireing harness. Unless you have the desire to go with a carb?

Mika

Reaction score
I'm doing the same. The body was so cheap, well let's just say it was cheap. I am using the explorer setup; EDIS, computer, accessories(a/c, power steering, alt) because I got it cheap, well you get it. In my studies I've found that it seems as if the harness from the computer to the engine compartment seem to be the same or close enough. I don't know why the v6 engine harness couldn't be fitted with a few extra wires for injectors and coils. I think possibly the 4.6 computer would work with EDIS and not a distributor. Anyways I'll keep you informed as I am at this portion of my build, http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,52730.0.html . I hope it works.

i'll let u know,
Mika

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online