349 swap

meanmachine98

Reaction score
I just recently bought my 98 mustang and was wondering about the best way to go about swapping my 349 into it and what transmission anyone would suggest running in it. As for details about the engine it's a scat rotating assembly and as far as cam not sure cuz I told the shop to put something in it that doesn't put me outside running pump gas and the only spec's I have on it is if I run an auto I need a minimum of a 2500 stall converter. As far as what I wanna build the car for is road course but yet maintain daily drive ability. Any suggestions?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna need a new Kmember etc since your changing modular to pushrod. If this was your intention from the beginning you may have been better off buying a 94-95. Since your building a purpose built road car your probably going with aftermarket K etc and gutting it so won't be that hard a swap. Not sure if i'd go auto either, it can be done as 4R70w's are very strong but a TKO 5-600 may be a better fit.

OP
OP
M

meanmachine98

Reaction score
I was looking for a 94 or 95 for that reason but they were all either convertibles or the owners didn't return my calls. And I was going to buy after market K member that comes with coil overs to kill two birds with one stone. As far as tyranny was just going to keep the 4r70w until I was sure of what route I want to go but most likely gonna go with a manual. My only other question is is if I carburetor my other engine just for the sake of getting it in the car and having it run, is how much does the current transmission rely on the computer because then I'd just probably buy a fi system if it would not properly work without the proper computer inputs

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the 4r70w is electronically controlled, shift points, line pressure, TC lock up etc.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You could sell it or find someone who wants to swap. 98 4r70w were better than the previous years so it is worth a few dollars in a trade.

OP
OP
M

meanmachine98

Reaction score
Sweet thanks for the info I may look to find a manual conversion seen a lot of guys just go to salvage yards for the linkage and pedals. Thanks again

99GreenStang

Reaction score
For the record you don't need a different K member to go from mod motor to pushrod it can be done without changing the K member with little modification. But that being said if your going for a True Race Car a UPR setup would be ideal for weight reduction and many future mods but that UPR comes at a price of course.

The 4R70w is basically a electronic version of the C4. You can purchase a Quick 1 Bauhamn Electronics Transmission Controller that will allow you to adjust the auto for peak performance and make custom tunes for your car and will work on carb motor as well as they have a TPS kit for them.

In my opinion and in my experience time spent shifting is time spent not going. Most All V8 cars benefit from an Automatic whether the owner knows it or not .

Good Luck and God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

meanmachine98

Reaction score
So the transmission just died on me. I found a replacement one that's from a pickup and has a reverse valve body from a mustang. My main question is if it will work with my linkage and if it will bolt up properly to my car. I understand that the output shaft needs to be replaced but I'm gna use the one on the garbage transmission. I talked to a gentleman at bauhamn and he reassured me it should bolt up but he didn't say anything about the valve body. Any information would he greatly appreciated. Thank you

99GreenStang

Reaction score
A 4R70w out of a 99-04 mustang will bolt up to a pushrod motor without any problems what so ever. Don't believe me look at my car.

Addermk2

Reaction score
A 4R70w out of a 99-04 mustang will bolt up to a pushrod motor without any problems what so ever. Don't believe me look at my car.

no, it wont.

the 4R from a V6 will.... which you didnt specify

RichV

Reaction score
I'll just put in my 0.02 since the term road course was mentioned.

I have no idea what 98 you have, GT or V6. If your serious on a road course build take these into consideration.

1. Why even contemplate a automatic of any kind? T5/T56
2. UPR is a waste on open track car. Use MM only, expensive but stuff holds up to the abuse.
3. Why not just PI your current (if GT) and keep it easy rather than dealing with electronics or rigging it to carbureted?

If you have done any open track driving you should know that a lot of power/torque is very hard to control. Not for the novice driver. A stock SN handles and brakes relatively well if you address some basic suspension and chassis items. The engine is really the last thing to upgrade, unless you are adding reliability items like cooling and oiling.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
no, it wont.

Well you can word it however you want. My cars a V6 had a 4R70w and it bolts up to a pushrod motor without any problems what so ever. You never specified whether you were talking about a V6 or a V8 either.

All I know is I'm right because I said a 4R70w out of a 99-04 mustang will bolt up to a pushrod motor just didn't put the V6 part. Which should have taken that in to account seeing as my car is a V6 that this is what I meant anyways.

Either way a 4R70W Trans from a 99-04 mustang will work on a pushrod motor as long as it is a V6. Thanks for pointing out that I left that out by the way.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
no, it wont.

I like in this reply where you say "No it won't" well a Trans out of a 99-04 V6 works so yeah a Trans out of some kind of 99-04 mustang works so yeah yeah it will hombre.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I post from tapatalk I only know u have a green 99.... I can't see signatures...

It's all good bro. I remember talking to Ford Racing about this when I did my swap and they said if you got a V6 then that's a plus because I can use the transmission and if I had a V8 I couldn't use it.

No hard feelings here bro I must have just forgotten to put down that a 99-04 V6 4R70W will bolt up to a pushrod motor. I must have just forgotten to put the V6 part probably wasn't even thinking about it lol. So my bad there man. As long as it's cleared up now and the guy with the question about it got the correct information that he needed and all his questions are answered then I'm happy! Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to put V6 down that way no one gets bad information! So Thank you very much for that !

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
For the record you don't need a different K member to go from mod motor to pushrod it can be done without changing the K member with little modification. But that being said if your going for a True Race Car a UPR setup would be ideal for weight reduction and many future mods but that UPR comes at a price of course.

The 4R70w is basically a electronic version of the C4. You can purchase a Quick 1 Bauhamn Electronics Transmission Controller that will allow you to adjust the auto for peak performance and make custom tunes for your car and will work on carb motor as well as they have a TPS kit for them.

In my opinion and in my experience time spent shifting is time spent not going. Most All V8 cars benefit from an Automatic whether the owner knows it or not .

Good Luck and God Bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What modification to the k memberwould be need it too put a pushrods into a 4.6 k member. .

99GreenStang

Reaction score
What modification to the k memberwould be need it too put a pushrods into a 4.6 k member. .

K members are the same from 96-04 on V6's and 4.6's so you can drop either or of them in either car with no modifications using standard motor mounts but that's for a modular motor.

If your wanting to put in a pushrod motor like I did a 308 ( 302 bored over 40 for those who don't know) I took a set of 95 GT 5.0 motor mounts and on the passenger side mount I popped the keeper out and flipped the mount around to where it needed to be to fit while still allowing me to bolt the mount to the block. When I got the mount in the correct position I took a bolt and a lock washer and nut and put it in place of the keeper that I popped out and tightened the mount and well ah your done. The driver side mount fits perfectly untouched out of the box. This takes like 10 minutes to do very simple and very effective.

This method can be used to put a pushrod motor in any 96-04 mustang no matter if it's V6 or V8 since both K members are the same in the 4.6 and the V6 throughout all those years

Hope I answered your question my friend! Thanks for inquiring about it from me! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask! Take care brother!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online