4.6 guys come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichers123

Reaction score
My built 4.6 with big cams was fun and had more potential but the 5.4 is the way to go. I don't really like to rev the shit out of the motor to make power. Yeah it's tight as **** but hey whatever. I run the 4.6 eddy with adapters and it actually helps by adding runner length and moving injectors up actually give the fuel better swirl time. It's very tame just driving around slam on the pedal it puts you into the seat with ease.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
What does the non pi guy do? Rebuild the bottom end, do the pi swap, and add a blower? What kind of power would you guess a stockish '00 GT w 8 lbs of centrifugal boost would make? Does the power "come on" real high in the rpm range? At what rpm does a stock pi headed 2v mustang have to shift.
Forged internals- just how jinky are the stockers? How much boost is Joe Schmoe running? Joe Schmoe 5.0 with a blower is running like 10 lbs + or - on the stock bottom end and more times than not the block will give out before the rotating assy at around 500 hp or so.
What would y'all say is the "target" hp number that the "working man" hobby builder is trying to achieve in both pi and non-pi varieties?
The "magic number" to make or break for the fox and 94/95 GT's is still 300 for those not looking to spend a fortune. You know somewhere in the $3k-5k range.
I'm not saying one is better than the other just curious is all.
*edit* I'm more curious about the 2v's because there are a butt-ton of them vs the 3v
Don't Sext and Drive.
the most cost effective build would. Be pi heads on a non pi block 10.5:1 or so compression ration and a vortech with ~10psi of boost. With a free breathing exhaust that should net you somewhere in the 400-450rwhp range. Most people go by the old way of thinking that you need low compression to run boost, but its quite the opposite if you have a good tuner. My car is a 3vv so it breathes better and I can rev it higher andd still make power but its almost 10:1 compression and I'm running around psi, but my car has the added benefit of knock sensors so the tuner can really crank up the timing without worrying about pinging. 6k rpm is a pretty good shift point for a stock pi 2V. The stock rods are about as thick as a toothbrush and are made of powdered metal... Not very strong, 430-450rwhp is considered safe for these motors, but the blocks are good for 800+rwhp.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
the most cost effective build would. Be pi heads on a non pi block 10.5:1 or so compression ration and a vortech with ~10psi of boost. With a free breathing exhaust that should net you somewhere in the 400-450rwhp range. Most people go by the old way of thinking that you need low compression to run boost, but its quite the opposite if you have a good tuner. My car is a 3vv so it breathes better and I can rev it higher andd still make power but its almost 10:1 compression and I'm running around psi, but my car has the added benefit of knock sensors so the tuner can really crank up the timing without worrying about pinging. 6k rpm is a pretty good shift point for a stock pi 2V. The stock rods are about as thick as a toothbrush and are made of powdered metal... Not very strong, 430-450rwhp is considered safe for these motors, but the blocks are good for 800+rwhp.
Is that 430-450 safe estimate on a stock bottom end or after forged internals? According to Google the stock compression ratio for a non "pi" motor is 9.3:1 and the pi is 9.7:1, would you say that's accurate? We're you running 10.5:1 before the blower or is that after? How much psi are you running again?

Don't Sext and Drive.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
I've always heard for a boosted npi 2v, its better to have pi cams and intake but npi head to keep compression low. I thought we were avoiding putting pi heads on an npi block because the bump in compression was bad? (for a boosted application)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I've always heard for a boosted npi 2v, its better to have pi cams and intake but npi head to keep compression low. I thought we were avoiding putting pi heads on an npi block because the bump in compression was bad? (for a boosted application)

Not bad at all. 10.5:1 is fine for boost. Think about it this way, the Mach 1's come stock at 10:1 and people boost those all day long.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea...what this guy said and youll be running 2v heads at that. You will have a bigger advantage! 2v swirl, no quench pad, tiny exhaust valve...these are good attributes for boosted applications

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
430-450 on stock bottom end, after forging the sky is the limit. I'm at 9.8:1 or so, easy enough to round up to 10:1. Higher compression does nothing more than raise cylinder pressure, which is the same thing you are doing when adding boost. With higher compression it won't be such a dog when out of boost, and it will make more power with less boost. You will just have to make sure a reputable tuner tunes your car. I'm currently running about 9 psi on the stock high mileage bottom end which is ~10:1. When I rebuild the motor with forged internals I will be going at least 10.5:1. There are a lot of people that go 11:1 on the 3Vs, but that will be 93 octane minimum, and make crazy power on E-85.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I bet for the average joe running 8-10 pounds the extra compression wouldn't be enough to cause catastrophic failure as long as the a/f ratio is good.
Yea...what this guy said and youll be running 2v heads at that. You will have a bigger advantage! 2v swirl, no quench pad, tiny exhaust valve...these are good attributes for boosted applications
Lemme pick your brain. My 95 has the stock 9:1 comp ratio n/a. With 8 lbs of boost what would it be?
Also so you're saying that a 97 GT can handle more psi than a '99? If that's the case then why not go w more psi vs spending money on cams and intake for the npi owner? Say a guy had a 97 w a stock motor and he added 12# of boost. And say there's another guy who had a 97 and he did a cam and intake swap and added 8 lbs. I kinda think it'd come out as a wash at best if they were to race. But if I were a betting man I'm placing my money on the guy making 12#'s if all else were equal as far as suspension and tires etc.

Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Npi and pi produce the smae hp when forced. This has been proven over many times. The heads are only a gate way into the cylinders. Only so much can pass through valve hole and both heads have the same size hole.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Npi and pi produce the smae hp when forced. This has been proven over many times. The heads are only a gate way into the cylinders. Only so much can pass through valve hole and both heads have the same size hole.
Got ya, I didn't realize the valves were the same.
So I guess the best bang for the buck npi guy looking to make 300-350 whp is the a Vortech kit vs doing a pi swap.

Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A n/a streetable modular 2v 4.6l can produce 350rwhp,...not a daily driver. The daily driver can easily do 320rwhp.

The best bang is to do a pi swap on top of a npi shortblock. Most dyno at 260-280 depending on accessorie mods.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
A n/a streetable modular 2v 4.6l can produce 350rwhp,...not a daily driver. The daily driver can easily do 320rwhp.

The best bang is to do a pi swap on top of a npi shortblock. Most dyno at 260-280 depending on accessorie mods.
Ballpark figure spent to make that 280 hp? New parts, used? Trip to a machine shop?

Don't Sext and Drive.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock 19lbs. Stock running npi shortblock, stock running pi h/c/I. No machine shop. Long tubes help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online