4.6 Timing adjuster

stock

Reaction score
Any reason why people don't run these any more? I had a Steeda for a period back in maybe 02', had no problems. Im looking to installing one again, but I see Steeda doesn't even show them on their site any longer. I also don't see many people even refer to them the past few years Ive had my car back running and have been paying attention. So, were people having issues or did they just run their course and now everyone prefers the handheld tuners?

ltdan

Reaction score
I had never heard of these because I was not in to modular fords at the time they were popular (early 2000s from a quick Google), but a 15-20 hp gain for $150 seems like a pretty sweet deal.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had wondered about these myself seeing them come up for sale used from time to time. I assumed that they must have been causing some problems of some type since they seemed to come/go so fast. I can remember a few cars having them in the late 80's and 90's and then it just seemed like they all went away the next day.

OP
OP
stock

stock

Reaction score
I did a google search and didn't really find much as far as problems, except people who didn't set the gap right or didn't torque it down properly. I think I'm going to buy one and go for it.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any reason why people don't run these any more? I had a Steeda for a period back in maybe 02', had no problems. Im looking to installing one again, but I see Steeda doesn't even show them on their site any longer. I also don't see many people even refer to them the past few years Ive had my car back running and have been paying attention. So, were people having issues or did they just run their course and now everyone prefers the handheld tuners?

I sold mine on ebay for like $25.00

the tuning world has gotten competitive enough that they are useless, now. why risk problems with your crank sensor hanging out in the air when you can spend an extra $50.00 to have it dyno turned?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the timing adjusters used to cost more than a $100.... LOL.

A near-stock tune (3 pulls) can be had for about $200.00

OP
OP
stock

stock

Reaction score
A "tune" requires me to either get a chip or a flash tuner @ $300-$400 new, and I was quoted an estimate of $300 for dyno time, datalogging, and tuning till its all right, with an experienced tuner. Im not against it, but im going to have much more of a finished product when I do. Not a near stock 2v...

Im going to give one a chance again. So we will see how it goes.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Blankenship located in Shelbyville Ky can now flash your cars computer the dyno tune it needs. His dyno session plus the tune is $350.....no hand held needed, no chip needed. Just your car and cash.

Lets keep in mind that the timing adjuster only alters the full curve of timing, advanced or retard. NOT the same as a "tune"...Same timing map, just altered before or after the original crank position. Same as clocking a distributor.

The heads up stock coyote class was utilizing the same principle with sloting the bolt holes on the reluctor/timing wheel. The driver could alter the cars timing map like turning a distributor and they did gain!! Untill tech figured it out. Tech made an un-official rule mid season about it. Not to be modified.

OP
OP
stock

stock

Reaction score
Awesome bit of information there! I know a few guys who've been tuned at Blankenship, and that's a good price! I may very well look into that, Im in Louisville all the time anyways. Thanks.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I recently emailed him asking about a friend car to be tuned. He replied cheapest, best scenario is flash tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online