4 point cage??

joekd

Reaction score
Do you want it for show or what? A lot of tracks wont consider a 4 point cage enough for safety

stang94X

Reaction score
my track told me i couldnt run in the 12's without at least a 4 pt just cause the cars a convertible

330CubeGt

Reaction score
That Sucks.Here you have to have a Helmet no matter how fast in a Vert.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
here in colorado you have to have a roll bar in convertibles at ... ?? 13.999 and in hard tops at 11.999?? i want to say... i forget... i dont even know why i wrote this post... but now that ive written it, im going to post it... :) i hope you enjoyed reading it as much as i enjoyed writing it. lol

stang94X

Reaction score
now that sucks, that would piss me off if i had to wear a helmet and i had a stock car running 14/15's, here its 13's or faster to wear a helmet in any car

right now i have a 6 pt, i have the 8 pt bars to tie into the sub-frame connectors that are going in for when i get the supercharger put on, that should be good for me for now, when my motor build is done ( 351 based stroker ), im doing a 10 pt conversion for shits-n-giggles but that aint gonna be for a while

but i dont think you really need a 8 or 10 pt until you hit in the 10's

as for a 4 pt, i think its good even for a mildly done up car, along with frame connectors the cage will really stiffen up the car

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
If its a NHRA sanctioned track then you need a 6 point roll cage if your running 11.500 or lower. A 4 point cage will not suffice. I have a 4 point street cage and while it adds a good bit of rigidness to the car it would not be legal if I ran mid 11's

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
are cages hard to install?

also, ive heard they can be dangerous for street cars because they completely and totally remove the crumple zone..... ????

stang94X

Reaction score
if you can measure, cut, and weld it'll be no problem for ya, i got the competition engineering kit for a 94-98 hardtop, had to cut the main hoop down to the correct height, the rest of the bars are just long straight bars that needed to be cut and notched, i dont have a back seat so it was easy to just run the bars straight down towards the trunk, and the front bars that run down by the doors i just put as far forward as it could go, and where i put my main hoop i can no longer have the stock seat belts, i didnt know that when i was doing it, i wasnt paying attention to wear the seat belts bolt to the floor and welded the hoop right in that area, so you might want to watch for that, and i dont have to worry about passengers cause ive only had a driver seat in for the past 2 years, i dont care though, so i just put a harness in and said screw it

dont get in an accident :) but ive never heard that, think of it this way, say you got in an accident with someone, would you rather be the one hitting a car with a cage or be the one that has the cage, i think i'd like to be the one with the cage

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
stang94X said:
if you can measure, cut, and weld it'll be no problem for ya, i got the competition engineering kit for a 94-98 hardtop, had to cut the main hoop down to the correct height, the rest of the bars are just long straight bars that needed to be cut and notched, i dont have a back seat so it was easy to just run the bars straight down towards the trunk, and the front bars that run down by the doors i just put as far forward as it could go, and where i put my main hoop i can no longer have the stock seat belts, i didnt know that when i was doing it, i wasnt paying attention to wear the seat belts bolt to the floor and welded the hoop right in that area, so you might want to watch for that, and i dont have to worry about passengers cause ive only had a driver seat in for the past 2 years, i dont care though, so i just put a harness in and said screw it

dont get in an accident :) but ive never heard that, think of it this way, say you got in an accident with someone, would you rather be the one hitting a car with a cage or be the one that has the cage, i think i'd like to be the one with the cage

hahahahahhaah so def. something for a sop to do... lol!

stang94X

Reaction score
well there are pre-done up ones from maxim motorsport where you slip some tubes together, weld it, and bolt it in, or theres the competition engineering one that are all pre-done up and kits you do it all yourself where you have to cut, notch, and weld it all together, i opt for the kit cause its a lot cheaper and so i could place everything where i wanted it to be

BigTang

Reaction score
just find a local chassis builder it normally runs $100/pt and they'll do it right. A good shop can tuck the bars back into the panel and give you lots of extra room that a mail order kit can't always do since they don't know where you drive w/ your seating position, etc.
since no one else has thrown this in there, it is extremely unsafe to drive on the street w/ a cage. if you get in an accident and your head contacts the bar, even w/ padding on it you are screwed. yes i had a caged street car and damn near every time i got in it i prayed i wouldnt get hit by some jack ass running a light because i knew i'd get tossed around in it since i was too lazy to wear the 5 pt cruising. btw, harnesses aren't DOT legal either.

stang94X

Reaction score
BigTang said:
A good shop can tuck the bars back into the panel and give you lots of extra room that a mail order kit can't always do since they don't know where you drive w/ your seating position, etc.

thats why i got the comp engineering kit, you can put it wherever you want, i set the main hoop as far back as i could, so i didnt have to worry about seating position, and i set the rear bars going straight inline with the frame rails so they set right over top of em

i wear my harness everywhere i go, just for the simple fact that it is kinda hard to buckle it fast when youre getting pulled over and its kinda hard to hide the fact that i dont have a belt on when the tops down, as for hitting my head, without the harness the only things im hitting is steering wheel/ or windsheild, side window or the back of the seat, with the harness im not going anywhere, might get pushed back and hit my head on the back of the seat; maybe a little sideways and hit the side window, as for a harness being legal; its not, but no cop as ever said anything about, they just kinda chuckle at me when they see me strapped into a harness, one cop asked me if i thought it was a little over board to have a harness, and then said a normal seat belt works just fine, i dont think they realize theyre not DOT approved

BigTang

Reaction score
only issues i had w/ the harness were at inspection time, but that was the least of my worries at that point

stang94X

Reaction score
street as in e-check, they just got in my car and didnt pay attention to the fact i didnt have a seat bet

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
why were you getting crap over your harness for a yearly street inspection?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online