460 bass dead?

jmstang66

Reaction score
when i bought my 98 gt over the summer, the guy had put in an aftermarket pioneer head unit, and had taken out the mach 460 amps and put in a boss audio amp with rockford fosgate subs. well i didnt want that mess, so i took it all out, and couldnt get any bass. so my buddy just took out his 460 amps cuz he wired his aftermarket straight to each speaker, so i bought them and plugged them up, i do notice more sound coming from the rear speakers, but still no bass! anything close to bass is very crackily and nasty sounding...help! i dont know anything about car audio!... :hammer:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what do you mean no bass? does it just cut out or distort when the bass should hit? there stock speakers you cant expect much, a good aftermarket headunit will probaly make them sound better then the stock mach 460 amps

OP
OP
J

jmstang66

Reaction score
theres just no bass at all....mess and adjust with all the different settings on the head unit and nothing..if i get it up loud enough to where there is some bass, its all distorted and crackily....new speakers maybe? im workin on my rear seat delete this weekend so ill check em most likely

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah i have or should say had the the 460 i totally re did it with all new wires and speakers and deck. But when you put a aftermarket deck in one of these cars there is no point in having the amps anymore because the deck will be putting out more watts than the amps were so they are just there and not doing anything. And yeah you wont get to much bass out of the system. You have ok mids and his but but no bass, thats one reason the mach 1000 comes with subs now. Buy i would recommend just removing the amps. Run new 6x8 or 6x9s in the doors and back deck and also because you have the mach system you have to 4 inch mids in the back deck so replace those too and you will have a very nice component set up oh and also you have tweeters in the doors too i would recommend replacing those because they dont have built in crossovers so that new deck will blow them pretty easy. So i would replace them too with a good pair with crossovers and you will be set. I ran all new wireing to because there is so much crap running through that system it was easier just running new wire rather than just using the factory wires plus you get a better cleaner sound with new wireing less static.

OP
OP
J

jmstang66

Reaction score
well got the head unit out tonight with some help of my buddy, man handeling, and screw drivers it came out......lemme tell ya...what a cluster f*#* of wires behind there.....goin to a sound shop this weekend to have it all looked at.......

ripper

Reaction score
I think maybe the girls in your sig have thier boobies layin on your speakers and are muffling the sound. :dancing6:

cdsmith_2002

Reaction score
I have a bass problem too but my system has never been altered in anyay. I actually unplugged the amps in the trunk because the bass they put out was intermitantly an uncontrolled low frequency fluttering noise. I'm trying to figure this out because I want to keep the factory radio/cd player. I don't want a goofy looking aftermarket head unit.

The two amps in the back are for the 5x7" speakers. When standing behind the car, the left amp is for the door speakers, the right does the rear. There is a 3rd amp in front of the shifter, under the CD player that powers all 4 tweaters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online

No members online now.