6 months with the new motor and motor issues arise.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hopefully everyone on here has been doing well, haven't been active in a couple months, ill explain in the lounge.

anyways, lets take that journey down the road you have all read and seen from me more than a couple of times in the past.

it all started last week, well technically, the minute i got my new motor into my car a few months ago, but we'll skip till last week. so i still burn oil, even with my brand new motor. goes to show how much you can trust the shop that built it before i got it. anyways i checked and filled the oil about 10 days ago. car runs great, just burns oil. well somehow between last week and last night, i manage to burn... 3.5 quarts of oil! in a single week. so you can imagine im pretty ticked off right now.

anyways, along with major oil consumption, comes more terrible news.

Me: "knock knock"
SN95: "whos there?"
Me: "knock..."
SN95: "knock who?"
Me: "knock..."
SN95: "okay, knock who?"
Me: "no, its knock."

lol in case you haven't followed, i now believe, along with the major oil consumption due to possibly piston rings, that I have spun a rod bearing [(due to the low oil level). im hoping for the best and hoping its like a lash adjuster or the rocker arms or something on the top end but im just not sure. so i guess thats what i get 6 months and 6 thousand dollars later..... oh yeah, the shop that built it, wont do s***. because the owner is an a**hole.

soo, tonight i took off the driver side valve cover and looked to see if i couldn't find anything wrong, which I couldn't. so tomorrow morning, first thing, im driving up to HPP Racing where i've received great service and nothing but help to get a free diagnosis of the problem im having.

GO HPP.. oh and fyi, im on a personal vendetta to ruin Lonestar's credibility as a company and Brian's, the owner. Im not sure if thats wrong of me to do, but he flat out lied to me and my dad when i asked him if the "motor needed to be rebuilt" and if the "motor consumes or burns any oil" both of which he answered no to. and he denied me any help when i came to him with problems with the motor before hand.

so, please, nobody purchase or get any work done at Lonestar Performance in Garland, Texas.

/end story+rant

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So you bought a complete engine from them? Was it a freshly rebuilt engine or the guy just said it was in "new" condition?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
it is a rebuilt, fully forged, low compression motor that has a "couple thousand miles" on it. but then again, it also "doesn't burn oil" and didn't need any rebuilding.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Id be pissed.

Sorry that happened to you man. I'd find some way to get back at them.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn that sucks so it wasn't 100% new and they refuse to stand behind it....

So tare it down and hope its not major, check the bearings etc and pray for the best :)

I was thinking valve seals when i first starting reading but after you said 3.5 qts that changed my mind from that quickly.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yeah, I thought, well hoped, it was valve seals as well. I have no clue where this 3.5quarts came from, its never came close to burning that in the 6th months ive owned it. but, i guess ill figure something out to get it fixed.

and believe me, i want this guy out of business. my friend owns an 03 KB cobra, blew it after 1200 miles and he did everything Lonestar said to do. He also owns a 600hp 05 GT and that motor blew as well. Granted his built automatic tranny did something and the motor overrevved, but it was still Lonestar built. and then there is my buddy with an 03 Hellraiser turbo'd/supercharged Cobra. they melted 3 of his pistons on the dyno right after they built the motor, before they even did the compound boost.

now my motor is messed up. so, dont go to lonestar in short. Every shop I have talked to and individual person, i tell them I have a buillt motor from Lonestar, and their first words are "well there is problem number 1"... hahaa

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
didn't you get an "incredible deal" on the car/motor you bought from them? like it had a reasonable amount of modifications and you got a deal on it?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
yeah, I thought, well hoped, it was valve seals as well. I have no clue where this 3.5quarts came from, its never came close to burning that in the 6th months ive owned it. but, i guess ill figure something out to get it fixed.

and believe me, i want this guy out of business. my friend owns an 03 KB cobra, blew it after 1200 miles and he did everything Lonestar said to do. He also owns a 600hp 05 GT and that motor blew as well. Granted his built automatic tranny did something and the motor overrevved, but it was still Lonestar built. and then there is my buddy with an 03 Hellraiser turbo'd/supercharged Cobra. they melted 3 of his pistons on the dyno right after they built the motor, before they even did the compound boost.

now my motor is messed up. so, dont go to lonestar in short. Every shop I have talked to and individual person, i tell them I have a buillt motor from Lonestar, and their first words are "well there is problem number 1"... hahaa

your friend with the 05 GT, who built the tranny?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
6 thousand dollars for a built motor and white 97 cobra.

car had coilovers, tubular kmember, exhaust work, rear lower control arms, subframe connectors, and some other small things. nothing my car didn't really already have. but i did take the tubular kmember and coilovers off of it.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
im not sure who built the tranny. i dont know how an auto even messes up, im sure you have an idea what happened but i dont know anything about autos.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
It's not really fair for you to trash the shop. You bought a used motor with no warranty, and it eventually went bad. That's not their fault.

Caveat Emptor.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
already? i remember the "i put my motor in this weekend" thread. lol.

sorry to hear that man! but blessings come in odd shapped packages sometimes... like a fat chick who rubs your feet everyday...

anyways, i hope for the best!!!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
im not sure who built the tranny. i dont know how an auto even messes up, im sure you have an idea what happened but i dont know anything about autos.

so why are you blaming them if they didnt build the auto? it isn't there fault the motor over revved and blew up. its the fault of the driver for not getting off the gas and whoever built the tranny..

.. and stuff goes wrong in cars all the time. you can't always try and blame a shop for something going bad. some things just break no matter who built it. and since the car just started burning oil this bad, months after you have been driving the car, i would say the blame is less on them and more on you.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul said:
It's not really fair for you to trash the shop. You bought a used motor with no warranty, and it eventually went bad. That's not their fault.

Caveat Emptor.

ah yes, "carve the emperor"... meaning: "sue the owner" ....

if you were having problems from day 1, im on your side. (esp. if you communicated the fact to them)
if you started ahving problems 2 months down the line, im on pauls side.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
Paul said:

Caveat Emptor.

if you were having problems from day 1, im on your side. (esp. if you communicated the fact to them)

he said it just started burning oil "this bad" a few weeks ago. he said it burned a little bit of oil, but nothing to that degree.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
MustangChris said:
Paul said:

Caveat Emptor.

he said it just started burning oil "this bad" a few weeks ago. he said it burned a little bit of oil, but nothing to that degree.

hm. honestly, in my opinion (which isnt much) it would depend on how much it burned at first... anything more than a 1/4-1/2 qt. per oil change (every 6 months for me) is too much and unacceptable.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Paul said:

Caveat Emptor.
so whos fault would you say it is? i could have rebuilt it while it was torn down to just the short block but I didn't. the builder and owner of the shop specifically said the motor was in perfect running condition and didn't burn oil so he said there was no need. my old motor burned oil, which is why i asked. first week, it was burning oil, i told the owner of the shop, he refused to help me. go figure.

DFG_Pimpin said:
so why are you blaming them if they didnt build the auto? it isn't there fault the motor over revved and blew up. its the fault of the driver for not getting off the gas and whoever built the tranny..

.. and stuff goes wrong in cars all the time. you can't always try and blame a shop for something going bad. some things just break no matter who built it. and since the car just started burning oil this bad, months after you have been driving the car, i would say the blame is less on them and more on you.
i said granted it was the auto tranny that failed but i just figured a freshly broken in motor could handle that abuse once or twice. he got out of it immediately when it missed a shift or whatever may have happened. it very welll could of been his fault though. and since ive had the new motor in, its burned a quart or so every 2 weeks. i told the owner of the shop right when i found out it was burning the oil and he turned me down for help. he wouldn't even look at the car. the last time i topped off my oil level was a week and a half ago and it was 3.5 quarts low last night, so this is the first time it's ever burned this much oil, which is also when the knock became apparent, im guessing due to the low oil level.

and im not one that goes out against shops but this guy treats his customers like s***.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
im taking TX's side... if it was burning oil from day 1, and he told the shop, the liability is now on the shop.... maybe not legally, but ethically... and good ethics will bring in more customers... he also SPECIFICALLY asked before he bought it.

its like asking your doctor "does this condom have latex?" .. "no" ... "he, my wing-man fell off, that condom had latex"... "sucks to be you" would that go over so well?

i help run a small business and i would never #1 lie to a customer, then #2 not try and fix a problem if the problem is apparent from day 1.... (or week 1)

thats not acceptable... the fact that the guy wont even crack open his hood is what makes me even MADDER... i mean, that (personally) shows me no curiosity, meaning he was expecting it...

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i worked for a sole proprietor as well and he would go way out of his way to make his customers happy, his fault or not (to an extent of course). obviously he is doing something right if he has a solid relationship with most of his customers. 3 of the people i know who have had motors built at lonestar, no longer go there. and if shops agree that my first problem with my motor is lonestar built, that tells me something as well.

based on things ive witnessed and heard, i think he runs his business the wrong way. im not saying motors dont go bad over time because they obviously do, but I have a problem with being told my new motor was in good running order with no problems. however, from the get go, there were problems, which lonestar was unwilling to fix much less help.

its cool though, hopefully everything will be sorted tomorrow and I will know what I need to do to fix whatever is wrong with my engine.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
dude that blows hardcore. really sorry to hear bout the problems, i'd go back to the shop and bother them until they agreed to do something about it. That's bullshit they said it didn't burn oil, seems like their verbal contract should be good for something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online