6k to spend what do you do?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Know of any links or companies offering a package for this? I've considered it before but didn't feel confident in anything I found. The Ford Eluminator electric crate engine doesn't come with a control pack from the factory, so having to source it in the aftermarket area has me hesitant. Plus batteries right now are not as cheap as they were year back. China is starting to use the raw materials as a bargaining chip to limit restrictions on the US involving Taiwan.

Lot's of ragged out V6 Mustangs out there would make for a neat EV swap. If Ford would create a control pack/kit for an easier install it might be something more popular with retrofitting older cars.
next question is, is your garage wired for a 220v charger? I know a lot of houses end up having to have the electrical panel upgraded on the house to supply the power and this is never cheap.

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
Lmao, I mean you dont know my financial situation, I will just say this 6k is just my play money. I am not a kid spending his savings if thats what you are implying.

A kid or an adult, doesn't make a difference if it hit's the fan.

The thing about a financial collapse is it can change your whole life, doesn't matter if you're income is good now. When it hit back in 2008, people were selling off their sports car's & big gas guzzler's just to make ends meet. I only meant to put things in perspective considering the dire outlook that isn't being talked about in the media like it should be. Mainstream media & the government doesn't want the public to go into a panic and stop buying things....it'll hurt the growing economy & if that happens and hurts the bottom dollar of the big corporations.

Weekend Warrior

Reaction score
next question is, is your garage wired for a 220v charger? I know a lot of houses end up having to have the electrical panel upgraded on the house to supply the power and this is never cheap.

It's a slim chance I'll follow through with an EV build, cost of batteries now doesn't make it a viable option at the moment. But if I did I'd most likely just use a 110 plug to charge it up. It would take awhile but I don't drive much most the time.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
A kid or an adult, doesn't make a difference if it hit's the fan.

The thing about a financial collapse is it can change your whole life, doesn't matter if you're income is good now. When it hit back in 2008, people were selling off their sports car's & big gas guzzler's just to make ends meet. I only meant to put things in perspective considering the dire outlook that isn't being talked about in the media like it should be. Mainstream media & the government doesn't want the public to go into a panic and stop buying things....it'll hurt the growing economy & if that happens and hurts the bottom dollar of the big corporations.
I hear you, but I am more ready than most for another 2008. I have sold several of my properties and have cash on hand for an 08 style collapse. Going to buy all kinds of things when shtf. I was much younger in the last recession I watched many adults lose everything and saw others become millionaires. You are preaching to the choir so to speak. I do agree though.

J_lope82

Reaction score
How about some cnc ported head/cam combo from modular head shop. Those on top of a NPI bottom end. I’m not sure how much those heads run though. Anyone know?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score

The house we bought already had one. They were RV people. We just rerouted it to the side of the garage we wanted it. (Exposed pipe, not inside walls)

Since it already existed, when we were building our workshop, we installed various locations for work tools, not even thinking we would one an EV or even build our own.

A standard outlet is fine, but not for a daily driver. If you’re driving 20 or so miles a day, it’s totally fine, but if you need to recharge to like 100 or more miles, it’s probably not going to be full by the next morning. Level 1 and 2 chargers aren’t really intended to be used for long road trips anyway. That’s why they’re considered “destination chargers.” You’ve reached your destination, and are either at work, or plan on spending the night there.

If you are comfortable, you can technically upgrade your own home, but then you’re going to have to pay for an electrician to inspect and certify it anyway, so if he’s (or she) is already out there, you may as well pay for piece of mind.

It's a slim chance I'll follow through with an EV build, cost of batteries now doesn't make it a viable option at the moment.

To answer all of your previous questions, you would first need to know what setup you wanted. The traditional electric hot rod route is to buy an electric motor, an adapter plate for your transmission, and then a bunch of batteries. The other method involves getting rid of the transmission and drive shaft altogether, and using actual motors to directly power the wheels, like all modern EVs do. This is the best option, because you lose all that extra weight, and don’t lose any power transferring it directly to the wheels.

There’s lots of little things you need, that you don’t really think about, like a battery management system, ac to dc converter, bunch of little things. Then some way out there things because you no longer have an engine, like electric power steering, electric powered brakes, AC, parking brake since you can’t just leave it in first.

So the cheapest route to go for batteries is used. We have Nissan Leaf batteries in our 55 GMC. It’s not great because the range when the car was new was already pretty bad. So these batteries may not be at 100% and if they were, the truck is heavier, and has to go through a transmission, drive shady, and differential, reducing its range further.

The plus side though is you don’t have to worry about cooling the batteries, as their design is completely different from Tesla and other modern EVs. Look up Superfast Matt on YouTube. One of his projects, he converted an old 30s jag to an EV by basically gutting a Model 3. For the mustang though, you’d want Model S batteries though.

I’d like to convert my mustang someday (V6 VIN). I’m waiting for the price on a totaled Mach E abomination to go down. I will get all my random components from there. I can swap gauges with it, and actually have a REAL electric mustang.

Ford and GMs electric crate motors are jokes. It’s just for the publicity. You can’t actually buy it. And if you could, you couldn’t buy batteries or hardware to run it. I don’t know if there’s some sort of conspiracy, or if they don’t want to warranty anything that new technological wise.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
How about some cnc ported head/cam combo from modular head shop. Those on top of a NPI bottom end. I’m not sure how much those heads run though. Anyone know?
First I have heard of modular head shop, I am considering cam and heads in the form of the twisted wedge kit, as there is solid dyno info about them, they definitely do work. That being said if you have dyno info for modular head shop I would love to see it.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
The house we bought already had one. They were RV people. We just rerouted it to the side of the garage we wanted it. (Exposed pipe, not inside walls)

Since it already existed, when we were building our workshop, we installed various locations for work tools, not even thinking we would one an EV or even build our own.

A standard outlet is fine, but not for a daily driver. If you’re driving 20 or so miles a day, it’s totally fine, but if you need to recharge to like 100 or more miles, it’s probably not going to be full by the next morning. Level 1 and 2 chargers aren’t really intended to be used for long road trips anyway. That’s why they’re considered “destination chargers.” You’ve reached your destination, and are either at work, or plan on spending the night there.

If you are comfortable, you can technically upgrade your own home, but then you’re going to have to pay for an electrician to inspect and certify it anyway, so if he’s (or she) is already out there, you may as well pay for piece of mind.

To answer all of your previous questions, you would first need to know what setup you wanted. The traditional electric hot rod route is to buy an electric motor, an adapter plate for your transmission, and then a bunch of batteries. The other method involves getting rid of the transmission and drive shaft altogether, and using actual motors to directly power the wheels, like all modern EVs do. This is the best option, because you lose all that extra weight, and don’t lose any power transferring it directly to the wheels.

There’s lots of little things you need, that you don’t really think about, like a battery management system, ac to dc converter, bunch of little things. Then some way out there things because you no longer have an engine, like electric power steering, electric powered brakes, AC, parking brake since you can’t just leave it in first.

So the cheapest route to go for batteries is used. We have Nissan Leaf batteries in our 55 GMC. It’s not great because the range when the car was new was already pretty bad. So these batteries may not be at 100% and if they were, the truck is heavier, and has to go through a transmission, drive shady, and differential, reducing its range further.

The plus side though is you don’t have to worry about cooling the batteries, as their design is completely different from Tesla and other modern EVs. Look up Superfast Matt on YouTube. One of his projects, he converted an old 30s jag to an EV by basically gutting a Model 3. For the mustang though, you’d want Model S batteries though.

I’d like to convert my mustang someday (V6 VIN). I’m waiting for the price on a totaled Mach E abomination to go down. I will get all my random components from there. I can swap gauges with it, and actually have a REAL electric mustang.

Ford and GMs electric crate motors are jokes. It’s just for the publicity. You can’t actually buy it. And if you could, you couldn’t buy batteries or hardware to run it. I don’t know if there’s some sort of conspiracy, or if they don’t want to warranty anything that new technological wise.
Not sure how EV's are bieng talked about so much in this thread, I would never consider one and have 0 interest in hearing about them. You electric car lovers should start your own thread to talk about your alternative lifestyle. Lmao

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
First I have heard of modular head shop, I am considering cam and heads in the form of the twisted wedge kit, as there is solid dyno info about them, they definitely do work. That being said if you have dyno info for modular head shop I would love to see it.
TF's I think have been the go-to head for the majority of people that want more than the gt40 upgrade but can't afford the AFR's or really big names. Most tuners should know them

J_lope82

Reaction score
Being that the op said his car was a new edge I figured he was referring to a 2v engine. Sounds like some people are talking about pushrod engines. 2v don’t have as much performance options as pushrod engines.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Being that the op said his car was a new edge I figured he was referring to a 2v engine. Sounds like some people are talking about pushrod engines. 2v don’t have as much performance options as pushrod engines.
Yes, to clarify it is a 2002 2 valve 4.6. My biggest issue right now is tuning there is not much info out there on what people are using to tune boosted 4.6 2 valves, the only guy that would mess with it wanted to do a complete stand alone system at a hefty price.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
tuning has always been an issue. most of us I think have gone with holley or megasquirt but it has a lot to do with with either what you can afford, learn or use or what your tuner uses. Ya gotta pay to play...

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Not sure how EV's are bieng talked about so much in this thread, I would never consider one and have 0 interest in hearing about them. You electric car lovers should start your own thread to talk about your alternative lifestyle. Lmao
You asked what we’d do to a new edge with $6k. That’s what we’d do. Another guy suggested just investing it. You can’t exactly hate on someone’s opinion, after literally asking for it. Just like with advice, you don’t have to accept it, but you sure as hell at least listen to it after asking for it. There was a similar thread a few weeks back about what kind of car we’d buy if money were no object. Same result. A lot of different answers. Some interesting, some WTF, some both. No one answer is correct, or wrong, because it’s individual thoughts and opinions on what they would do with the money.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
You asked what we’d do to a new edge with $6k. That’s what we’d do. Another guy suggested just investing it. You can’t exactly hate on someone’s opinion, after literally asking for it. Just like with advice, you don’t have to accept it, but you sure as hell at least listen to it after asking for it. There was a similar thread a few weeks back about what kind of car we’d buy if money were no object. Same result. A lot of different answers. Some interesting, some WTF, some both. No one answer is correct, or wrong, because it’s individual thoughts and opinions on what they would do with the money.
I was having some fun poking at you guys choices of electric motors. But yeah I suppose I did ask, to be clear you would take out a good runing 2 valve 4.6 and replace it with an electric motor ?

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Blankenship might be able to remote tune it.

There are some others that do remote tuning, but I cannot remember them right now.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought the remote tuning was only done after installing aftermarket ecu's? Do they do them with stock ecu's now?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.