8.8 Help!

RedDragon71

Reaction score
Guys any of you had this problem: I bought a built 8.8 for my 94 gt guy said it was out of a 99
no room for my brakes, i think he put 94 axles in a 99 housing. Im basically trying to figure the best solution to fix. should i buy 99 axles and put in ? will there be enough clearance for the tires in the fender?
Should i swap all the items fron the new rear end into the old stock housing? btw the rear end is already in the car didnt realize i was going to have this problem till i tried to put breaks on. I also didnt know the 99 had a wider housing. whats the lesser of two evils installing new axles or swapping everything over ?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Gonna need some more details... what's the actual issue? 99 is going to have longer axles. Are you saying the axles stick too far out to allow your calipers to bolt to the housing and properly sit on the rotor? Pictures would be a huge help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RedDragon71

Reaction score
Gonna need some more details... what's the actual issue? 99 is going to have longer axles. Are you saying the axles stick too far out to allow your calipers to bolt to the housing and properly sit on the rotor? Pictures would be a huge help

Thanks for reading. The new housing is wider then my old but the total length of axles are the same. So there is not enogh axle sticking out of the housing.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Easiest is buy new axles then. Cheapest is swap all if it. Much more work though. So I guess it depends on your budget

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
How did he put SN axles in a 99+ housing? I didn’t think they would even go in. I’m assuming the axle is too close to the housing and you can’t get the caliper bracket on?

totalchaos

Reaction score
How did he put SN axles in a 99+ housing? I didn’t think they would even go in. I’m assuming the axle is too close to the housing and you can’t get the caliper bracket on?
They will go in but you can't bolt the caliper on.

OP
OP
R

RedDragon71

Reaction score
That’s right way to close! He didn’t do abs wheel and there’s not any room for it anyway. What a mess

OP
OP
R

RedDragon71

Reaction score
Well I figured out a way to get it all bolted up and test drive the car.... lots of whining on decel so now I’m going to pull everything out and put it in my stock sn housing with new bearings and seals. I think I wasted a lot of money trying to avoid building a rear end myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy