8.8 Rearend Housing Fitment

Ram_Air

Reaction score
Which years of 8.8 rearend housings will fit the 1994-1995 SN95 cars? I have been told the earlier housings will not fit. Building a 1994 SN95 for racing; it is an original 3.8 car. :help2:

ryclef331

Reaction score
Obviously 94-95s will fit....so will 96-98. Direct bolt in. the earlier fox axle will bolt in as well BUT they're drums and also more narrow (not sure by how much exactly). 99-04 will drop in as well BUT they are 3/4" wider on EACH side so it will push your tires out a bit furter....which actually LOOKS better. Everything else is a direct bolt on! I'd SUGGEST retaining the brake lines from the bottom of the car and across the axle on the car the 8.8 is getting installed in as a JUST IN CASE there are some differences in the years that I've never seen.

I've put a 95 axle under an 03 cobra so I know its a cake walk, car to car.

OP
OP
R

Ram_Air

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt response. Does anyone know how much narrower the early version is? The drums is not an issue since I am cutting the ends for the large Ford bearing and also using aftermarket Strange brakes all around the car. This is a drag racing car.

ryclef331

Reaction score
The housing lengths between a fox and an SN95 mustang are actually the same. The distance is made up in the axles themselves on our cars. They're about a inch wider overall as best I can remember. So you can either run the drumsetup with a narrower axle or SN95 axles with custom brackets to mount the calipers or cut the brackets off the stock SN95 housing and weld them on....being as you're building a race car, I assume you're really just looking for a housing to fill with the parts of your choice....look hear for the SN95 caliper on a fox axle brackets

http://www.northracecars.com/

FYI V6 brakes and GT brakes on the back were all the same during the SN95 run...

OP
OP
R

Ram_Air

Reaction score
Thank you again for the information. Will be taking the housing to the chassis shop to have the new ends installed. I will be running Strange Engineering spool, axles and brakes. Will post more about the car as I continue the build. It is a NHRA Stock Eliminator 1994 - 5.0 SN95...my plan is to go after some 305 F.I. GM cars and show them a good time. :boink:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online