93 vs 94 timing cover!

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Whats up guys, I need to wrack your brains a bit, I've got a 94, im in the middle of doing a carbureted twin turbo set up, im cleaning up the engine bay and engine the best I can and I want to get rid of the big, bulky, ugly ass accessory mounts for the power steering, ac, etc. so that got me to looking in to the serpentine conversion kits that come with everything however they're only for the 1993 and earlier cars, searching to see if it would work, of course the timing covers are different, and then I see the water pump may have a different direction as well, SO, my question here is this, there's so DAMN MANY different timing cover part numbers, however, if I was to find the correct one, could I put a 93 timing cover on my 94, put an electric water pump on it, and just ride the mfr like that? Just curious if anyone else has done this and if the timing cover depths are different and if so will it throw off alignment with the crank pulley or not? So damn many questions i have.. Can't figure out if im just over thinking this or not, and if I went with the 93 timing cover with an electric water pump, then obviously rotation/flow wouldn't matter?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

95opal

Reaction score
Have a fox cover and remote mount Wp with fox vortech on mine no issues.

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Yeah the '94/'95 engines have a "reverse rotation" water pump that are more difficult to work with since there are essentially no high performance reverse rotation pumps out there. I think I found one once, but upon closer look it appeared to be stock. I have not seen an electric pump for these front covers either, but they may be out there.
Since my car has a 351W, the accessory brackets are different, at least the alternator bracket is. I'm not inclined to mess with the factory bracket setup since it works so well, but this does prevent me from moving to a dry sump system. I have an Accusump 3 quart oil accumulator, lines, fittings, etc. but have not installed it yet. Since I'll be putting the new motor in fairly soon I will want to have that installed to protect my sizeable investment.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah the '94/'95 engines have a "reverse rotation" water pump that are more difficult to work with since there are essentially no high performance reverse rotation pumps out there. I think I found one once, but upon closer look it appeared to be stock. I have not seen an electric pump for these front covers either, but they may be out there.
Since my car has a 351W, the accessory brackets are different, at least the alternator bracket is. I'm not inclined to mess with the factory bracket setup since it works so well, but this does prevent me from moving to a dry sump system. I have an Accusump 3 quart oil accumulator, lines, fittings, etc. but have not installed it yet. Since I'll be putting the new motor in fairly soon I will want to have that installed to protect my sizeable investment.

Sn95 brackets bolt onto a 351w no problem can use the timing cover and sn95 accessories. Cobra r came with 94/95 brackets shit you can run ac

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I took a complete 5.0 apart and tested the brackets on my 351 block
everything fits perfectly fine

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
"Cobra r came with 94/95 brackets shit you can run ac" Not true. The alternator bracket on my '95 R is a unique piece and does not support an A/C compressor. Think about it. You contradicted a '95 R owner about '95 R's. Not a good idea. I've owned this car since '96, so I know it pretty well.
Perhaps if you actually owned a '95 R you would know this too. The '95 R has the alternator in a different location that also required a unique upper radiator hose. You probably didn't know that either. BTW, I never said that SN95 brackets would not bolt up to a 351W. Here's what I wrote: "Since my car has a 351W, the accessory brackets are different, at least the alternator bracket is". For whatever reason, Ford decided not to use the stock alternator bracket. I'm sure they had a reason for this, but we may never know that reason.
I'm for sure not always right, including here on these forums. When I'm wrong I admit it "I stand corrected".
All of these small block accessory brackets bolt to the cylinder heads, so it's no surprise that the brackets will bolt up on a 351W.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
"Cobra r came with 94/95 brackets shit you can run ac" Not true. The alternator bracket on my '95 R is a unique piece and does not support an A/C compressor. Think about it. You contradicted a '95 R owner about '95 R's. Not a good idea. I've owned this car since '96, so I know it pretty well.
Perhaps if you actually owned a '95 R you would know this too. The '95 R has the alternator in a different location that also required a unique upper radiator hose. You probably didn't know that either. BTW, I never said that SN95 brackets would not bolt up to a 351W. Here's what I wrote: "Since my car has a 351W, the accessory brackets are different, at least the alternator bracket is". For whatever reason, Ford decided not to use the stock alternator bracket. I'm sure they had a reason for this, but we may never know that reason.
I'm for sure not always right, including here on these forums. When I'm wrong I admit it "I stand corrected".
All of these small block accessory brackets bolt to the cylinder heads, so it's no surprise that the brackets will bolt up on a 351W.
Do you have pics of your bracket both side
I'll compare to the one I have

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Standard bracket works in a 351w I see what it is slightly different on a cobra r for the intake tube . Ac mounts power steering side so no problem there

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMG_4093.jpeg
You can see they like modified a regular 94/95 bracket on the cobra r to run a factory style intake tube

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Do you have pics of your bracket both side
I'll compare to the one I have
I have two of these brackets. I have the original, which is at Precision Machines in Lodi, and one that was a spare I got with the Jason Priestley #46 car. That one is in storage so I'll need to go there to get it. I can tell you that neither of them look like the one you provided the picture of. I'll try to go by storage after work, but we've got a pretty serious storm moving in at this moment, so maybe not. I can tell you that both have had threaded fittings welded on where the alternator bolts to.
Again, I have no idea why Ford did this. Perhaps they decided that using the stock bracket would make the serpentine belt too long on the 351, and maybe that was considered not robust enough for endurance road racing, which is what these cars were intended for (targeted at) which was IMSA Grand Sports "Street Stock" series.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
THESE ARE OFF A 95-94 GT 5.0
if i see another complete 5.0 i will snag them if you need them

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Yea that’s how I plan to do it. So the standard 94/95 alternator bracket will work . There’s a really good thread on putting a 351w in these cars I can send you a link
i would need flywheel info
i am running a mega squirt on my engine management