94 Cobra Twin Turbo

torch318

Reaction score
I've heard of a low mount turbo setup that the guy got caught in a down pour and they sucked up water and took the motor out. Just something to keep in mind if it's raining when you have the car out.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Methanol injection would be my the cooling effect to keep my iat down. also the long cold side piping helps. and yes I am still running a Mass airflow sensor. the maf is a crucial part to EFI

:) The MAF is only 1 way to do EFI. You could also have gone Vane Meter (old) or Speed Density for example. The reason I asked is I wondered bad of a lag you get. The air you measure via the MAF goes all the way to the turbo, to be cooled, then all the way to the engine - what the MAF measures isn't really going in to the engine right away. That's why I asked whether you were using a MAF - with SD it doesn't really matter.

Edit: unless of course you are blowing through your MAF...

Are you using blow off valves or bypass valves?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've heard of a low mount turbo setup that the guy got caught in a down pour and they sucked up water and took the motor out. Just something to keep in mind if it's raining when you have the car out.

I wonder if the fresh air intake could be plumbed to the side scoops.

torch318

Reaction score
:) The MAF is only 1 way to do EFI. You could also have gone Vane Meter (old) or Speed Density for example. The reason I asked is I wondered bad of a lag you get. The air you measure via the MAF goes all the way to the turbo, to be cooled, then all the way to the engine - what the MAF measures isn't really going in to the engine right away. That's why I asked whether you were using a MAF - with SD it doesn't really matter.

My car is getting switched over to a blow thru maf that's located right before the throttle body which gives a more accurate reading. This could be an option for his system if it's not what he's doing already.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
My intakes are shielded from the bottom there is no chance of sucking in water unless I submerge my car, and that would cause many other issues

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score

Edit: unless of course you are blowing through your MAF...

I use a blow off valve and don't experience any lag. Through gears the power is just there no waiting

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was hoping that there was something on there or I was thinking that would make a hell of cleaner between the exhaust blowing out and the turbo's sucking in.

torch318

Reaction score
IMO your going to have a hard time making 20 lbs of boost due to heat loss from all the piping before the turbo.

torch318

Reaction score
My piping is about as restrictive as an intercooler
I didn't say your piping is restrictive I said that with heat loss your going to have a hard time spinning the turbo to get 20 lbs. That is why I posted the link to ls1 tech the op talks about what he had to do to get 20 lbs out of his rear mount kit and how heat loss was a big part of the battle.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I didn't say your piping is restrictive I said that with heat loss your going to have a hard time spinning the turbo to get 20 lbs. That is why I posted the link to ls1 tech the op talks about what he had to do to get 20 lbs out of his rear mount kit and how heat loss was a big part of the battle.
Just remember that's only 10lbs per turbo

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Good luck with your build, but I think achieving your end goal may be harder than you think with your setup. Placing turbos closer to the engine always promotes better spool especially when you are trying to go for big boost.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Good luck with your build, but I think achieving your end goal may be harder than you think with your setup. Placing turbos closer to the engine always promotes better spool especially when you are trying to go for big boost.
Thanks man. And I shouldn't have a problem boosting that high. Right now it hits 14lbs like its nothing

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember that's only 10lbs per turbo

Umm...that's not how turbos work, at least not on your setup. You aren't running staged turbos. You are running two parallel turbos, 1 on each bank of the V8. If you are making 20 psi in the intake manifold, that means each turbo is making 20 psi - NOT 10 psi. If you stage the turbos - meaning one feeds the next turbo, then that turbo feeds the intake, THEN you can have two 10 psi turbos making a total 20 psi.

But in your case, both your turbos are pushing 20 psi. And how are you measuring psi? One of the huge downfalls of remote mount turbos and why most folks don't run them is because they are too far from the heat. Heat = Happy, Spooly Turbo. They end up being too laggy unless you are running smaller turbos. If you really are getting 14 psi - then I'd be surprised. I think you said the car wasn't intercooled. No offense, but no way are you running 14 psi with no intercooler, your IAT's have got to be through the roof. Are you running meth or something? 5, maybe 6 psi (or perhaps 7 psi, maybe that's where you got the 14 psi from) you might be able to get away without using an intercooler, if your cold pipes really are that long, then it's possible they are losing some heat on the way to the intake. I'm not so sure about your boost pressure.

Honestly, you'd make more power if you hung the turbos up front in the engine bay. You are losing tons of heat on the way to the turbos.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Umm...that's not how turbos work, at least not on your setup. You aren't running staged turbos. You are running two parallel turbos, 1 on each bank of the V8. If you are making 20 psi in the intake manifold, that means each turbo is making 20 psi - NOT 10 psi. If you stage the turbos - meaning one feeds the next turbo, then that turbo feeds the intake, THEN you can have two 10 psi turbos making a total 20 psi.

But in your case, both your turbos are pushing 20 psi. And how are you measuring psi? One of the huge downfalls of remote mount turbos and why most folks don't run them is because they are too far from the heat. Heat = Happy, Spooly Turbo. They end up being too laggy unless you are running smaller turbos. If you really are getting 14 psi - then I'd be surprised. I think you said the car wasn't intercooled. No offense, but no way are you running 14 psi with no intercooler, your IAT's have got to be through the roof. Are you running meth or something? 5, maybe 6 psi (or perhaps 7 psi, maybe that's where you got the 14 psi from) you might be able to get away without using an intercooler, if your cold pipes really are that long, then it's possible they are losing some heat on the way to the intake. I'm not so sure about your boost pressure.

Honestly, you'd make more power if you hung the turbos up front in the engine bay. You are losing tons of heat on the way to the turbos.
yes I do run meth and have no problem boosting. My exhaust is fully heat wrapped now too. I know if my block could handle it these would have no problem doing 20+ psi.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
yes I do run meth and have no problem boosting. My exhaust is fully heat wrapped now too. I know if my block could handle it these would have no problem doing 20+ psi.

As of right now I see no need to cut my engine bay apart and delete my AC to move my turbos forward. I guess you have build your own rear mount to see what it can do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online