94 Cobra Twin Turbo

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any videos of this with a gauge showing it hitting 14psi and an intake air temp gauge would help with any doubts.

Plus I'm sure everyone would like to hear the sound.

Only reason I'd like to see a vid is because I have a friend with a remote mounted gto and 10psi is hard to reach and thats with a ls motor.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Any videos of this with a gauge showing it hitting 14psi and an intake air temp gauge would help with any doubts.

Only reason I'd like to see a vid is because I have a friend with a remote mounted gto and 10psi is hard to reach and thats with a ls motor.

Yes I do, I am in the process of shooting a little 5 minute video about the car. Your friends turbos may be to small to boost beyond 10 psi, they have an exhaust leak, or they did not heat wrap all the way back to the turbos

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just don't understand why one would run a turbo kit like this . Sure it's sneaky kinda but but miles of piping and the turbo being under the car is scary

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I just don't understand why one would run a turbo kit like this . Sure it's sneaky kinda but but miles of piping and the turbo being under the car is scary
It doesn't scare me at all and this is not a kit everything was custom fabricated. The turbos are protected by a big steel plate. The reason the turbos are mounted in the middle is because that is where you have the most room the engine bay is very tight. It is not sneaky to mid mount the turbos because they are very loud back there and it is very obvious that you have them. There are many chevy cars that make well over 1000hp on a rear mount such as LMRs 2000hp base model lsx vette.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo are there any other pics of this setup or am I to just assume this is BS and go about my day?

What sort of fuel system are you running? What are you using to tune the car? What sort of power did it put down? Have you had any issues with the metal zip ties holding the piping up? How did you route the cold side pipes and connect them together?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Sooooo are there any other pics of this setup or am I to just assume this is BS and go about my day?

What sort of fuel system are you running? What are you using to tune the car? What sort of power did it put down? Have you had any issues with the metal zip ties holding the piping up? How did you route the cold side pipes and connect them together?
I am running an aeromotive 340lph fuel pump with ford racing ev6 60lb/hr injectors tuning with a moates quarter horse, eec analyzer, and clint garritys binary editor, also no numbers yet as I don't have a new block and trans yet as soon as I do it will be getting on the dyno. The pipes are very rigid when t bolted togeter and the zip ties were just left over from the original mounting. I am putting together a video showing the whole car, a couple of races, and other cool info. I have all tons of pics and if you look at the first page you'll see a few. If you want to see something specific or have any questions about doing this build yourself message me and I'd love to help you out.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It doesn't scare me at all and this is not a kit everything was custom fabricated. The turbos are protected by a big steel plate. The reason the turbos are mounted in the middle is because that is where you have the most room the engine bay is very tight. It is not sneaky to mid mount the turbos because they are very loud back there and it is very obvious that you have them. There are many chevy cars that make well over 1000hp on a rear mount such as LMRs 2000hp base model lsx vette.

The he engine bays aren't tight at all on these cars . You move the battery to the rear and there is all sorts of room for twins , that's why countless people have done it . I know all about rear mounted turbo vettes my friend has one and I still think they're not as efficient . What about piping held up with metal straps . Not trying to be a dick but saying the engine bay is tight on a pushrod car is a flat out lie .

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Seeing a turbo pushrod mustang is f!cking awesome. Who gives a sh!t if the turbos are under the hood or in the trunk or anywhere in between? He has two turbos on his mustang! That is awesome. Why the hell would anyone complain or hate that? Oh my god, he didn't mount them where everyone else does, or where you would if you had two turbos on your stang... who cares?

Good job, man. I can't wait to see you tear this sh!t up with the new block. I would put the intercooler back in when you pump up the boost. Sick car, man.

Addermk2

Reaction score
subscribing. Wonder if it'll make over 400hp.

I dont see why there is the cop out of "when I get a new block or trans". If you can boost to 14psi already, then you shouldnt have any issues putting down a run on the dyno and providing us with a sheet.

The build has started turning my gears a little bit. Might be time for custom manifolds and some low mounted turbos on my 351. Although my big single makes plenty of power already.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing a turbo pushrod mustang is f!cking awesome. Who gives a sh!t if the turbos are under the hood or in the trunk or anywhere in between? He has two turbos on his mustang! That is awesome. Why the hell would anyone complain or hate that? Oh my god, he didn't mount them where everyone else does, or where you would if you had two turbos on your stang... who cares?

Good job, man. I can't wait to see you tear this sh!t up with the new block. I would put the intercooler back in when you pump up the boost. Sick car, man.

Here's the thing with that - I'm not sure people are really hating on him for doing it, think of it more as probing for the reasons. After all, most people put turbos under the hood for good reason. And no, that reason isn't to be like all the other sheep. There are solid reasons grounded in thermodynamics and physics. If we are talking about something subjective, like the color of a car, and he wants to sticker bomb the shit out of it to do something different, well then alright, all the "hate" doesn't make any sense. But when he bucks a common way of turbo charging a car, he's going to get questions asked. All the better if he can answer those questions - and if his answer is simply "because I wanted to" then alright, no one can say anything to that. It's his car. But doing what he did raises a lot of (valid) concerns and questions, thus the perceived hate I guess.

To go out of one's way to just be different, more times than not is cool and totally okay; but to do that on something that doesn't necessarily make sense will garner questions. Not saying he did anything wrong, just what is probably causing folks to ask stuff. Either way, it's his car, it's all good, whatever he wants to do.

Edit: Thinking more on this, I honestly wonder if he didn't drop the turbos in the engine bay, run like 6 psi, and end up making about the same amount of power without needing meth. Remember, boost is simply back pressure - just because one runs more boost doesn't mean that more power couldn't be made with *lower* boost on a better flowing system. In fact, that's one of the first things one notices when upgrading the system flow (whether it be the heads, better flowing intercooler, piping, whatever) - the same power is all of a sudden had at a lower boost level. And I'm willing to bet a dollar that all that piping he has going back and forth is causing some back pressure.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Mcglsr2, very valid point. I like to see people tinker with cars. Any way they choose to do it. A twin turbo pushrod mustang is cool, regardless of how or where the turbos are mounted.

Is it the most efficient way to use a pair of turbos, no, probably not. But it wasn't too long ago that I read about a fox body with a set of huge turbos mounted (filling) the trunk, and they were making big boy power with big boy boost, even with all the heat that is lost on the way back to the turbos. The guy did use small diameter, thick wall exhaust pipe that was heat wrapped, to try keep exhaust gas velocity up, and to maintain as hot as possible exhaust reaching the turbos. So it can be done with a good level of success.

And there are lots of rear mount turbo 'vettes out there pushing plenty enough power. But the Corvette legitimately doesn't have room under the hood.

All that being said, I do understand why an unconventional set-up like this may draw questions. But I think that regardless of it being outside the norm, people should still be giving more credit where credit is due.

Cool car, nonetheless. More pictures or video of this thing would be awesome.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its certainly a good point for conversation and hopefully the constructive criticism and questions or doubts isn't misinterpreted for negative haterz. Keep us up to date with it for sure.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But it wasn't too long ago that I read about a fox body with a set of huge turbos mounted (filling) the trunk, and they were making big boy power with big boy boost...

...And there are lots of rear mount turbo 'vettes out there pushing plenty enough power. But the Corvette legitimately doesn't have room under the hood.

Sure it can be done successfully - but there's a common theme here in what you are describing: and that is that the turbos wouldn't fit in the engine bay. The reality here is that the remote mounts were done as a "work around" because they wouldn't fit up front. In OP's case, they could fit up front, so it kind of nullifies the reasoning for it (other than "just to be different-ish"). If OP were running some massive turbos and insane boost, and had to remote mount as a result, okay, I get it.

Here's a counter-example to yours: go look at any drag car using super massive turbo(s)...where are they mounted? Yup, up front. Not in the rear, not remote. But front and center. Granted, they do all kinds of mods to make them fit up front - but that's my point. If the turbo, regardless of size, fits next to the engine, that's where you want it, because science. If you want to run massive turbos but don't have room or want to make the room, then remote mount is your secondary choice. Never, though, is it the first choice.

So, yes, it's "cool" that he set up remote mounts, and has gotten it to work. I don't discredit him for that. I just personally have a hard time with it because it seems to be a subpar setup he forced himself into, for the sake of being different. It's like he wanted to make a phone call, and instead of buying a cell phone he opted instead for some cans and string. Will the cans and string work? Sure. Is it better than the cell phone he could have easily gotten? Not so much.

That's just where I'm coming from. Not trying to hate or anything. I'm an engineer and love to see all kinds of solutions to problems. It's just that I guess some I like to see more than others. But as I said, it's his car, so it's his call, and if he loves it, then that's awesome I don't begrudge him that.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I absolutely understand that it's not optimal in any way, but two turbos on a pushrod mustang is cool no matter where they are mounted.

Yeah, I would much rather see one massive twin acroll turbo front and center, with each bank of cylinders feeding its own side of the split exhaust housing. Throw the radiator in the trunk like vortecd4v did, and mount a massive intercooler in the stock radiator location.

Yes, that would be better, but I am still going to give credit where credit is due.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score

It has been a while but I have uploaded a small idle clip. I am working with a friend this summer to make a cool video with all of the turbo noise everyone wants to hear.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying Front mount is better. Therefore i'm Going to install a new front mount setup and see the difference.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
That's an interesting place for the turbos! I seen the pics underneath and was envisioning running intake tubes to the side intake ducts just behind the doors. That would be a killer way to take in air but would probably be a bit of a fabrication nightmare though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online