94' GT will crank but not start

Pwilly

Reaction score
Alright, two weeks ago my car died at a red light. It would turn over fine but would not start. Had to get towed home and started through the progression.

1) Fuel pump was priming and I got fuel at the Schrader valve, but everything I was reading said that the fuel filter needed to be replaced. So, I replaced the fuel filter and she fired right up.

2) With in the next few days I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, rotor cap & air filter.

3) Last week I was out enjoying the sun shine with the top down and got home pulled in and was listening to the music and putting the top up and she died again. Would not start. Checked everything and still wouldn't start. So, I replaced the ignition coil cause I wasn't getting fire. no Run! I replaced the TFI control module. Still NO start. Turns over wonderful just no start.

4) 2 days ago got a friend mechanic to come give a look. He looked under the Rotor cap down in the distributor, hooked up #1 cylinder to an inline tester and she fired up. Turned it off and it started right back up. I ran it a mile down the road and came back and was idling in park at home and she died and again will not start.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm at wits end.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, two weeks ago my car died at a red light. It would turn over fine but would not start. Had to get towed home and started through the progression.

1) Fuel pump was priming and I got fuel at the Schrader valve, but everything I was reading said that the fuel filter needed to be replaced. So, I replaced the fuel filter and she fired right up.

2) With in the next few days I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, rotor cap & air filter.

3) Last week I was out enjoying the sun shine with the top down and got home pulled in and was listening to the music and putting the top up and she died again. Would not start. Checked everything and still wouldn't start. So, I replaced the ignition coil cause I wasn't getting fire. no Run! I replaced the TFI control module. Still NO start. Turns over wonderful just no start.

4) 2 days ago got a friend mechanic to come give a look. He looked under the Rotor cap down in the distributor, hooked up #1 cylinder to an inline tester and she fired up. Turned it off and it started right back up. I ran it a mile down the road and came back and was idling in park at home and she died and again will not start.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm at wits end.

More than likely it’s the pip module in the distributor. They are notorious for exactly what your describing and most of us with 94-95’s have had this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace?

Gotta disassemble the distributor

Or just replace the distributor as it’s easier to do. Get one from Oreiley Autoparts. They have the more reliable unit.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
you will have to remove the distributor , and I believe there are 2 or 3 screws holding it in , it is located under the plate the rotor is mounted on
its been awhile when I took one apart
the gear will need to be removed at the bottom so the whole rod slides out
I will see if I can find a break down if you need it

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Gotta disassemble the distributor

Or just replace the distributor as it’s easier to do. Get one from Oreiley Autoparts. They have the more reliable unit.

quick on draw while im typing

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace?
Not hard to replace the stator aka ignition pickup aka pip providing you have the means to press off and on the distributor gear. I would also recommend you get new C-shaped roller pins from Ford or MSD. Don't reuse the old roller pins. The correct Ford Motorcraft part number for the stator is DU-50 or E9TZ-12A112-A.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online