95 5.0 Ignition pick-up coil replacement

At1Maverick

Reaction score
Hey all, being on a budget, I opted to replace just the magnetic pickup coil inside the distributor. I've narrowed down the no start/hard starting issue to this. I was wondering if there was a video of how this is done. I remember doing a fox dizzy before but wasn't sure if I did it the hard way. I practically tore the dizzy down to the core, so the gear came off, and the housing came off.

I kinda heard the it's possible to take the plate where the rotor sits on and take the pick-up from there. Anyone done this before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Same as a fox dizzy.
Pay close attention to the bushings/bearings that the inside the housing. I've had them worn to the point that the reluctor wheel hit the PIP.

OP
OP
At1Maverick

At1Maverick

Reaction score
Got it done, yeah, I found there's quite a bit of up and down movement on the dizzy, i tried looking up specs, is there such? But the car fires up now, it still takes a couple of tries, but it does, I guess i'm gonna go ahead order a distributor as soon as possible.

Would excessive wear on the bushing cause the hard starting as well? I've tested the coil, and it's good, and although I'm going to be doing plugs and wires probably tomorrow, I trying to think of other thing that might be causing the hard starting

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's a bangin deal for a new dizzy.
As for the hard starting, I always start with the tune up first. What is the timing set to? 10* is base but most of us run about 12*-14*

OP
OP
At1Maverick

At1Maverick

Reaction score
yeah. that's what i figured, the easy, simple things first before going neck deep. The timing I set at 10* cuz I though they'd check during emission testing, I've set my older foxes at 14* before and I liked the little difference it made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online