95-98 Clock Spring in 94?

Chenn2389

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member looking for some help and I can't for the life of me find a solution. My current 94 has a bad clock spring. The horn and cruise doesn't work and bag light has been on since I picked it up. My engine is out for a rebuild and I have been cleaning up the interior while I wait for the machine work.

My initial solution was to install a new momo wheel and hub and wire up the horn using the 86-89 OEM contact switch. This has been discontinued and I cant find any other way to wire up the horn.

My next bright idea was to just replace the clock spring, order the FR500 wheel and paint match and restore the old airbag. Well fun fact, the 1994 clock spring was a one year production run and has been discontinued going on ten years. The 1995-1998 clock spring has the same electrical connections, but the mounting system changed from 3 screws into the steering column, to a quick release system. I have read every possible thing I could find on the subject and have not found a single instance of someone trying the 95-98 clock spring in their 94 and following up with a post confirming weather or not it worked. The tabs and screw holes for the 94 clock spring are still on the steering column all the way through the SN95s production run ending in 2004. This leads me to believe that the physical column is unchanged from 94/95 and that the quick release system clips to the same tabs but is hold in place with plastic spring loaded tabs instead of screws. I think it'll work, but I don't want to drop $100+ on a CS and another $250+ on the FR500 wheel, and about $50+ on the interior paint just to be SOL when it's all said and done.

I also called LMR and American Muscle to see if they have tried it or had any of the customers bite the bullet and try it for themselves, but they had no answers and suggested it probably wont work.

I pulled my clock spring apart to look at the ribbon and see it it could be repaired, but it was cracked in 10 places and the ribbon was turning to dust in my hands.

I'm stumped on what to do, I'm not going to keep the stock airbag and wheel in there if nothing works. Having a non functioning time bomb on the steering column right in front of my face just seems unsafe. I was really hoping to at least get the horn to work on an aftermarket set up but it looks like that's no longer in the cards for the SN95 either.

I have a cage and harnesses in my car and not worried about the safety aspect of not having airbags. I don't have any smog or safety inspections anymore as I have classic car insurance and its registered as a classic here in Phoenix, so that's also a non-issue.

I am desperately hoping someone can chime in with a solution to my problems. This is the last issue on my list of things before the car is completed.

OP
OP
Chenn2389

Chenn2389

Reaction score
So I ended up ordering the NRG short hub, quick release 2.0, and a wheel for the same price and just the FR500 wheel. Once they come in I will mess around and see if I can fabricate a DIY rotary contact to get the horn wired up. Probably not going to happen, a lot of work for just a horn, but we shall see LOL.

Rio red Cobra

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member looking for some help and I can't for the life of me find a solution. My current 94 has a bad clock spring. The horn and cruise doesn't work and bag light has been on since I picked it up. My engine is out for a rebuild and I have been cleaning up the interior while I wait for the machine work.

My initial solution was to install a new momo wheel and hub and wire up the horn using the 86-89 OEM contact switch. This has been discontinued and I cant find any other way to wire up the horn.

My next bright idea was to just replace the clock spring, order the FR500 wheel and paint match and restore the old airbag. Well fun fact, the 1994 clock spring was a one year production run and has been discontinued going on ten years. The 1995-1998 clock spring has the same electrical connections, but the mounting system changed from 3 screws into the steering column, to a quick release system. I have read every possible thing I could find on the subject and have not found a single instance of someone trying the 95-98 clock spring in their 94 and following up with a post confirming weather or not it worked. The tabs and screw holes for the 94 clock spring are still on the steering column all the way through the SN95s production run ending in 2004. This leads me to believe that the physical column is unchanged from 94/95 and that the quick release system clips to the same tabs but is hold in place with plastic spring loaded tabs instead of screws. I think it'll work, but I don't want to drop $100+ on a CS and another $250+ on the FR500 wheel, and about $50+ on the interior paint just to be SOL when it's all said and done.

I also called LMR and American Muscle to see if they have tried it or had any of the customers bite the bullet and try it for themselves, but they had no answers and suggested it probably wont work.

I pulled my clock spring apart to look at the ribbon and see it it could be repaired, but it was cracked in 10 places and the ribbon was turning to dust in my hands.

I'm stumped on what to do, I'm not going to keep the stock airbag and wheel in there if nothing works. Having a non functioning time bomb on the steering column right in front of my face just seems unsafe. I was really hoping to at least get the horn to work on an aftermarket set up but it looks like that's no longer in the cards for the SN95 either.

I have a cage and harnesses in my car and not worried about the safety aspect of not having airbags. I don't have any smog or safety inspections anymore as I have classic car insurance and its registered as a classic here in Phoenix, so that's also a non-issue.

I am desperately hoping someone can chime in with a solution to my problems. This is the last issue on my list of things before the car is completed.
Not sure what your trying to accomplish, but if your saying you have a bad clock spring then replace it with a new one. Am sure someone must have a reproduction or factory part. Now for my question , I have a 95 Cobra. When I lift on the gas to shift i hear what sounds like a rattling up near the clock/speedo area. I was possibly thinking speedo needs grease, but is the clock spring at the clock or are you referring to the speedo/miles indicator as the clock spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online