95 Eaton Swap

waltnono

Reaction score
The car originally started out as a V6 that I bought back in 95. Since then I've done a V8 push-rod swap and after that a 4V modular swap. I've been gathering eaton parts for about six months now and I finally assembled everything I need to put the long block together. The only set back that I'm having now is the pistons. I bought a set of stock 03 Cobra pistons but little did the seller tell me that the pistons were .020 over. So as of right now the teksid is at the machine shop getting bored to fit the pistons. It kinda sucks because I had already bought standard bore stainless file fit rings.

So with that set back I decided to tackle the heads. Even though I'm using the stock cams out of the 99 lincoln, I upgraded the springs with comp cam springs(26123). The first task at hand was to lap the valves and the seats. Here is a before and after pic.

Next phase after cleaning the heads was to install the springs. Since I had some extra cams laying around I decided to make my life a little easier and get rid of the lobes.

One side down and one side to go. That's enough for the day. Hopefully I will get the block back early next week so I can have the long block assembled by next Friday and starting her up over the weekend.

miss2slocoupe

Reaction score
this is very interesting! i know a guy who also had a v6SN car and it was hes first car ever and he did a v8 swap but did a 351 instead of a mod car... hes car and mine are the same but he has RK's and its pewter... most sexiest car ive ever seen!!! but i hope all goes well :) def keep us updated, and you should post pictures of when it was a v6!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mmm very nice... once you get verticle tail lights, you'll be looking sexy ;-)

also, think about how you want that thing to sit inside the car... my hood wont close over the eaton... look into a kmember spacer or something....

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
mmm very nice... once you get verticle tail lights, you'll be looking sexy ;-)

also, think about how you want that thing to sit inside the car... my hood wont close over the eaton... look into a kmember spacer or something....

The IAC is what gives you hood clearance, I'm deleting that sensor. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Well I finally got my block back from the shop and the cylinders look great.

Time to put together the bottom end. I'm going to gap the top ring @ .024 and the second ring @ .026. The rings are stainless seal pro.

The bad news of the day is that I broke the spring compress for the valves. I'm going to fab something up as soon as I get the bottom end together but in the mean time I will send the heads off to the shop and have them shaved.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
Made a little progress today.

I'm using King tri-metal main bearings and rod bearings. I have a cobra 8 bolt crank that has been turned .010 and polished. So as of tonight I have 3 pistons in and only 5 to go. Should have the short block done Monday, gotta watch Da Bears tomorrow.

OP
OP
waltnono

waltnono

Reaction score
So I ran into another problem today. One rod had a bad screw thread. Looks like the jerk who sold it to me just put some epoxy in it and sold it to me. Guess I should have checked this stuff when I first bought it.

Talked to my parts guy and I can get another rod and APR bolts for $75. I finished installing the rest of the pistons and the oil pump.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Sick build man, I think its cool you sourced all the parts to do this, and did most of the work yourself ( I say most, cuz of the machine shop work... ha!) Nicely done on those heads too!

Reaction score
send that rod back with a huge note attached stating... thanks dbag you cost me 75 bucks heres your stupidity back dumbass... nice build cant wait to see it and hear it running

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shegz67