95 gt electrical questions

Cherochaun

Reaction score
Bought a 95 gt about 6 months ago. Bought an aftermarket air/fuel gauge. According to all info I found the 95 has a 3 wire 02 sensor. The ones on my car are 4 wire. It has aftermarket X pipe on it. Could had been converted but I'm not a complete newby n I swear the elec clips look factory installed. Routing, wrappings, plugs at all ends look like original equipment. As well 95 should be obd1 so was looking at a bama 4 bank chip install. Then I noticed I have an obd2 plug in the left side center console by accelerator pedal. It is straight hard wired not a conversion cable set up. Again it looks completely factory installed. Has anyone ever come across this or has this auto had some obviously highly skilled shop do some work on this car?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its been a while since I ran the factory o2s but your o2 connector should look like the link at the bottom. Looks like a 4 pin harness to me.

The obd2 connector was only used with v6s. It was installed in the v8s because they knew they were going to be switching over to the new system. While its there it is not connected to anything.

Bama sucks and I almost dare you to find anyone with a 94/95 that has them and is happy with them. I tried them YEARS ago after a HCI swap and thought since all my gear was in their drop down menus that it should be no problem. The thing was running so rich at idle that it was backfiring and made your eyes water so I limped it to a dyno and had it done right. Your not going to get much of anything out of a tune till you get into the heads/cam. I would say put that money towards some gears or suspension mods myself.

OP
OP
Cherochaun

Cherochaun

Reaction score
I have to get it tuned one way or another. After installing headers the idle is inconsistent. After reaching running temp it gets worse to the point it has to catch itself from stalling out!. After 15 minutes of driving it will sometimes stall at a light. Anything under 1800 rpm and it has a stumble best I can describe. Not like trying to cut out but a stumble consistent 2-3 second stumble. Just put a 200 amp alternator in msd coil pack, etc. Cold air, cat delete, etc. Air/fuel mixture is my best guess for the issues.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why do you have to get it tuned? You really don't need to do it until you get into the heads/cam and there isn't much to gain until that point. Did it just start running bad after the header install or was it doing it before?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure how a header install could effect the idle unless they are not sealed up and letting air in and throwing off the o2 codes? What tb is on it?

OP
OP
Cherochaun

Cherochaun

Reaction score
Stock. I haven't dove into that area yet. I haven't researched it enough to know if it's needed. What's your thought about possibly needing to replace the mass airflow sensor? I've double checked all my vacuum connections. AIT?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would go as far as to clean the maf but it should not be the source of an idle problem. IAC could be acting up or the tps giving a bad signal and confusing the ecu. Does it do it when its cold/hot/all the time?

OP
OP
Cherochaun

Cherochaun

Reaction score
Worse at operating temperature. Still present once the idle settles after initial start up though. Doest stall out coming to a stop until after running for about 15 minutes. At that time it's constantly catching itself from dieing. Idle is up n down about 400 rpm. If you just try n hold it at 1000 rpm it feels like a half open choke on a hot engine like you should put it to the floor to clear it out. There is no hesitation upon acceleration at any time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Today I'm gonna start unplugging sensors til I find one doesn't make a change in operation. Go from there.
don't go as far as unplugging at first, just try tapping on them with the back of a screwdriver and then grab and wiggle/jiggle/pull on each harness and see if it studders at all. I have been discovering that the original harnesses on my car have started to have a bad grip on the sensors and it would cause problems especially after the car was hot and everything expanded. You should be able to give a pretty solid pull on each harness and they should not disconnect or even come loose. IF there are any that have 2 clips that are holding it on and one clip is broke, replace it.

OP
OP
Cherochaun

Cherochaun

Reaction score
Off hand I know ofat least one. It was my damn fault too. When I removed the incoming air temperature sensor to remove cold air intake it was brittle and I handled it like you would a new part. Without the finesse it needed. Thanks for the info. Gonna be a couple days at least maybe a week before any updates. Weather here is not real cooperative right now n my garage is off limits at the moment to roll the car inside. Have a new high volume oil pump be here tomorrow to install as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea you think those clips are not important but next time it gets up to temp play with the harness and give a pull and see what the motor does. If that does nothing then just start jiggling wire harnesses.

OP
OP
Cherochaun

Cherochaun

Reaction score
Put it back on. Headers is just a set of shorty retro bolt ons. Stainless ceramic coated with threaded port for egr. Egr tube was short by 1/4 Inch to thread back together though. So I cut an inch out of it and installed a short piece of recommended high temp hose to reconnect.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online