95 gt problem

Reaction score
I recently bought a 95 gt with 160,000 miles. And it leaks a little oil from the rear main, and when it gets only about a half quart low it starts missing or jerking especially in 5th gear, and when I put about a half quart too much in it also misses or jerks and has some blue smoke out driver tailpipe. But if I have the oil level right at the full line it runs perfect with no smoke until it gets low again. What's going on?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
when was the last time the PCV was changed?
The 2 things shouldn't have anything to with one another. but stranger things have happened.

OP
OP

Reaction score
I know where the pcv is located. But when I take it off what should I be looking for? And to clarify some, when either too much or too little oil. engine is not actually missing, it just runs kinda crappy and has less power and jerks at lower rpms

OP
OP

Reaction score
Also I'm sure this has nothing to do with it but mods are- 4:10 gears, cold air intake, smog pump delete, under drive pulleys, 3 inch exhaust with h pipe, and it sounds like it might have a mild cam, not sure though

RichV

Reaction score
This the goofiest one yet.

As suggested, PCV and ignition. I would also make sure your engine ground is 100% and check the vacuum lines.

Does it have any other issues? Electrical, running/driving, any weird noises? Sounds like it has a cam? Not sure why someone would put a cam on stock headed/intake 5.0, so check the vacuum lines for sure.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Ok about to change pcv valve, no other issues, but now it is running bad even with correct amount of oil. It's not running real bad and you don't really even notice is until you put it in 5th gear in low rpms, it jerks and shakes until about 2000 rpm

RichV

Reaction score
I would check the ignition system as well. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor.

OP
OP

Reaction score
UPDATE! I changed the pcv valve and filter, both were in bad shape, the valve wasn't even in there tight jested lifted right out, filter was nasty. Also the rotor cap was very corroded so I wire brushed all components, and I changed the oil with 10w 30 castrol high mileage, and the went for a drive, it started off driving a little better and after about 15 minuted of driving it started running perfect. And I drove it about an hour more and still running smooth and perfect, what does this tell you???

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm thinking the the PCV filter was clogged and was causing excess crank case pressure. you'll oil leak should be less now too.
I think it's related to your rough running too.

Don't know what the low oil level has to do with it though.

OP
OP

Reaction score
UPDATE! Ok so this morning when I drive my car it starts running bad again, is I decide to change the sparks plugs, wires, rotor and cap, and then I find the real problem. One of the spark plugs was corroded and has crap baked on it and so half the time it wasn't even firing. Replaced and wow the power of all 8 cylinders! Running the smoothest ever with lots if power, thank you all for your imput

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online