95 Mustang GT idle issues

Coyote12387

Reaction score
I have a 95 GT with 51K miles. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, IAC, and fuel filter. The car had a slight miss at idle, but does not miss while driving or accelerating. I checked the PCV valve and it appears to be working correctly. Lastly, the car will intermittently die after driving it for a period of time. Any suggestions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
smoke check the vac lines to look for leaks. There are a few ways that show how to do it on youtube.

OP
OP
C

Coyote12387

Reaction score
That is something I have never attempted. Guess I can give it a whirl. I ordered a new PVC valve just to try it. The EGR is removed in the car, could that be causing my issues? I know most people remove those in these cars.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Doubt it’s the egr but I guess worth trying. As you said, most of us have removed them.

Dizzy is also a possibility. The pip sensor inside is notorious for causing random dying after driving for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Would the PIP also cause the rough idle and misfire?

It’s possible. Mine would act up a little at idle but once I took off it was fine. After driving a bit I’d be moving along and out of nowhere it would just die like I had turned the key off.

OP
OP
C

Coyote12387

Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure, but the car only has 51k miles on so I would imagine so. The wires were original when I replaced them.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Coil is cheap. Only buy motorcraft. See if it helps possibly

OP
OP
C

Coyote12387

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about changing that as well. I don’t think it’s an Ignition issue though because it doesn’t seem to miss when driving. It only does it at idle. Another thing I read was it could be a faulty injector. Car also seems to be running rich.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about changing that as well. I don’t think it’s an Ignition issue though because it doesn’t seem to miss when driving. It only does it at idle. Another thing I read was it could be a faulty injector. Car also seems to be running rich.

Unfortunately a car that old with that low of miles could have lots of issues. It’s obviously sat around a lot over the years. It’s not easy on a lot of parts.

@ttocs who’s the guy you sent your injectors to for cleaning?? If this car isn’t a daily then you could get them serviced. Or maybe it’s a good time for an upgrade.

OP
OP
C

Coyote12387

Reaction score
Yeah that’s the tricky part, I honestly have no idea what the issue is. Doesn’t miss at all while driving. Only at idle, will stall out on occasion after driving, and burns rich.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Op have you pulled and inspected the plugs? Checked the wires all over?

07GtS197

Reaction score
But did you inspect the old plugs, they will tell you a lot about how its running.

OP
OP
C

Coyote12387

Reaction score
I don’t remember that was a year ago, but I’ve only put 1,000 miles on the car since changing them.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Pull the new plugs and check them. They will tell you whats going on. And if there is a stuck injector it will show on the plug.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Post up pictures of all them, we’ll help you read them. And keep note of what plug went in what cylinder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online