95 Mustang GT Transmission Leak

randi

Reaction score
My automatic 95 Mustang GT definitely has a transmission leak. I took it in to a mechanic 2 weeks ago and he topped off my fluid and said I had a leak. Now, I checked my fluid after a 40 min drive and it was in the cold level.

When I drive after my car has sat for a few days, it smokes under the hood, passenger side near the window. This burns off in about 10 mins and doesn't (noticeably) happen again until my car has sat for a few days. There is no large puddles left after parking. A few small drops (I think, its hard to tell) but nothing huge. This makes me think that it is a small, superficial leak that I could potentially solve with a cheap, easy fix myself before taking it in to a mechanic and spending a ton of $$$. Any recommendations on things to check first?

It runs fine when it is topped off with fluid. It is hesitant to change gears once it gets low, but that's resolved as soon as I top it off.

ETA Yes, I dont know shit about cars, but I'm trying to learn. And thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
It’s really hard to diagnose without looking at. I would highly recommend jacking the car up and just getting under there to take a look.

If I had to guess though, I’d say it’s probably the output bushing/seal that’s leaking. That can be easy as a seal or difficult as a seal, bushing, and driveshaft yoke.

dalpoas83

Reaction score
if you’re parking in a spot where there’s already a bunch of fluid get you a good size piece of cardboard and place it under the car. That can help you narrow it down where it’s dripping from also.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Have you checked your cooler lines? One could be cracked and spraying a bit on the exhaust or a fitting could be loose.

Connie

Reaction score
This is Connie's husband Bob. I used to build Trannys. You said it happens AFTER the Car sits awhile. What happens when it sits is, the Fluid works it's way up to a higher level. So, I was wondering if you could look where the Dipstick Tube is on the passenger side, to see if it's leaking out where the Tube goes into the Transmission. The is an O-Ring, or a Boot on the end of that tube, and they get brittle over time. So, it's possible the fluid is getting on the Exhaust while you're driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online