96-98 Cobra: Red Headed Stepchildren of the Mustang world.

Ciotti

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
I let my dad barrow my Cobra for a couple days and he almost bought one to. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" said NO.

Hahahahahahahaa, my dad actually bought the one I finally found him when mom was out of town, she comes home and instead of a blue 4 cylinder fox body sitting in front of the house, there's a white 96 Cobra! God I wish I had seen the look on her face!

As far as these motors grenading with 400 horses, that's not something that I've ever heard of unless there is a shitty tune involved. There's a local SN-95 that's been running around for years with 550 to the wheels and a good tune. It's all in the tune man!

Think of things this way...
You got the car for much less than these things should be selling for considering what they are, who cares if the mods are a bit more expensive? What's the alternative, you get a GT for a few thousand less and then dump all that money you just saved and then some into a shatload of mods just to get it where the Cobra is stock, then you spend a bit less money on a supercharger? Problem there is that it won't put down as much power or have as much potential as a Cobra, christ we can put 1,000+ horse power through our blocks!
The Cobra motor is an incredible platform and can make gobs of power yet still be streetable and to me that makes it well worth the fact that you pay a bit more for mods.

jys97cobra

Reaction score
i have a stock short block with a vortech v1 setup close to 410 at the wheels, no problems so far

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Redheaded stepchild is the term that refers to the 70's stangs. The term for the 96-98 cobra is amazingness. I have crapped on countless cars (s4's, rx7's, etc.) with the car in mostly stock condition, just can't wait to get a vortech and a tune for the snake and play with bigger fish.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
The 5.0 might seem like the better deal until you realize that the 5.0 blocks blow up just as fast as the modular rotating assemblies do. People running 450whp have grenaded stock 5.0 blocks so you're not missing much.

And if you want to go fast you gotta pay. The 4.6 block you get is ridiculous and you can rev to the moon. I still love my pushrod motor to death don't get me wrong but at the prices you can get the 96-98 snakes at these days they're one of the best deals out there right now.

BMOREstang

Reaction score
The 4.6 2-valve motor is rated at 400 to 450 hp then the hypereutectic pistons start to go bye bye. Now this is just from some book I have, but in the last mustang magazine I got the whole thing was on superchargers. I remember they said that they have run about 500 hp in the stock 2-valve shortblock, as long as the tune was ok. Now the 4-valve shortblock has the same hypereutectic piston issues but is supposed to be good to 450hp. The biggest thing I would worry about is the tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online