'96 Cobra Project *Dash Pod Update 8/16*

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score
Re: '96 Cobra Project

I'm trying to decide between anthracite FR500's and chrome Saleens. Any opinions?

When I had the car apart for paint I cleaned up the headlight lenses. They were quite foggy (see before and after pics). First I used a mixture of toothpaste and dishsoap to make sure the lens was as clean as possible. Then I wetsanded them down to the finest grit I could find. To finish them off, I used part of a restoration kit from Advance. It was a foam pad that you insert into a drill. It has some solution in the pad itself that is activated by water. Some buffing/polishing compound. The pics arent the best comparison, but they came out great!

RareBreed

Reaction score

I am partial to Saleen's, but it's your ride so do what you want. I do think that if you could afford it that the BBS RK's would look bad A** on it, but who can really afford those.

post pics whenever you decide. oh and as far as lowering it, I went with Eibach Sportlines but they are not for everyone. I went that way because I autocross and road race, but for a daily driver you may want to stick with the pro kit as it is not as bumpy of a ride. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

I'll probably end up going for the best performance value, like always... Love the way yours sits, though.

Although the price of the pro kit is very, VERY tempting.

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

I've been gearing up for the annual local show. Today I painted the crossover pipe, strut tops, fusebox cover, battery cover, coolant lid, and most importantly, the upper plentum.

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

They were wet sanded but not clear-coated. I quite like the finish. Kind of a matte black.

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

As a final "touch" before the show, I removed the valve covers for paint. WOW. I would never ever suggest that anyone ever try this. What a PITA. Had to get one of my buddies to help, and had to remove more than I wanted to, although we were able to leave the brake booster and the troublesome heater core line on the other side. Here's a before and a few afters:

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
Re: '96 Cobra Project *Update 6/18*

Try and wetsand it to get rid of some of the orange peel...

US Soldier(stang 98)

Reaction score

looks like its going well man

you need to lower that BISH!!!!!!!!!! lol

keep up the work

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

Haha thanks!

For some reason I get the feeling this car needs to be lowered or something of that nature...

greenscobie86

Reaction score

Looks very good! I wish I can find a cheap 4v Cobra...

It will look tits when you lower it!

5.Woahhh

Reaction score

switch96 said:
Haha thanks!

For some reason I get the feeling this car needs to be lowered or something of that nature...

Yeah, just a tad. I mean unless you plan on going off roading soon.

OP
OP
S

switch96

Reaction score

Today I installed my "clock/dash pod" gauges -- water temperature and oil pressure. I went with cheapies for now, but they still look pretty good. Also note the '98 cupholders and S-197 shift knob.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368-2.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

dafizuck

Reaction score
I actually like those in there even if they are the cheap ones. Knob looks good too.

Magic

Reaction score
Looks good!

Electrical or Mechanical gauges?

Also does the 05+ shift knob have the same threads as the shifters on the older cars? (Metric thread).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online