96 Mystic Cobra

5PointSnow

Reaction score
Hey guys was browsing craigslist today when I came across this mystic local near me
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5533163506.html
the car does seem to have seen some hard times but I was just wondering what you guys thought of it and what the guy is asking (keep in mind Canadian $$$). The scrape mentioned is on the rear passenger quarter, and the exhaust is broken "somewhere near the front" as the owner says it is touching the ground. The e brake he says he thinks it is the cable.
The owner seems to have a lack of mechanical understanding from what I can tell and that makes me leery about the car. I'm really tempted to go check it out though as l love Mystics and only know of 2 in my area.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Cant hurt to check it out for your self. Walk away if it seems bad. Seems like a fair price.

Bdons_95gt

Reaction score
For us south of the border that's 128xxx miles (assuming it's in km) for about $2300.

Honestly I don't think thats a bad deal if you're able to fix everything yourself. Could be a gem in disrepair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Seems reasonable. Try making an offer. Clutch will run you around $800-900 installed, springs $300 for a set, paint repair depends on severity.

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
I think it all hangs on the paint of the whole car since I would probably be expecting up to a 1000$ bill for the rear quarter depending but if the whole car has crap paint it's a no go. I can't afford a whole car to be painted mystic.

Bdons_95gt

Reaction score
Yeah, on paper it all works out, but you really need to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's really not a bad deal on a cobra in disrepair. Around here people still want a ton for them even with high miles and issues. Can't hurt to go check it out

Thomas_W

Reaction score
All comes down to paint. If the paint is in really good shape, i'd buy it unless there was some serious rust present.

If the paint is in bad shape or rust, walk away. Last time i priced having a mystic cobra resprayed (i nearly bought a roller that was in a front end collision with a straight frame, 2006 ish). It was around $9500 for the entire car. I couldnt find a single shop in the area that would do a partial paint bc it was mystic. They also mentioned that $4000 of it was JUST the mystic paint itself.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
It is expensive but well worth it. I have had mystic pieces sprayed separate from the whole car and they turned out fine.

Thats good to hear! I Almost bought one instead of my 99, but the guy was completely off his rocker. Its interior was well worn and the clear coat beginning to peel. $18k with 89k original miles.

OP
OP
5PointSnow

5PointSnow

Reaction score
It is expensive but well worth it. I have had mystic pieces sprayed separate from the whole car and they turned out fine.
Was wondering if anybody here had experience with paint matching mystic. Good to hear it turned out well makes me more interested in the car for sure, I'm probably going to go see it tomorrow.

lutter94

Reaction score
Seems reasonable. Try making an offer. Clutch will run you around $800-900 installed, springs $300 for a set, paint repair depends on severity.

Clutch swap isn't hard for most to do with a good set of jack stands. Should be less than 300 for the clutch/pressure plate.

1994stangfan

Reaction score
All depends on skill level I suppose. I am a transmission tech, but you are correct it is very straight forward.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Surprisingly its not as hard to match as one would think. Black base, then the mystic pearl, then the clear. Problem with it is that ridiculously expensive...its around $2000 a gallon from automotivetouchup.com. paid $30 for 2oz of touchup paint lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online