96 v6 t5 in a 94 gt?

godfearingman

Reaction score
I have an 94 gt auto and I'm wanting to swap to manual and my buddies brother has an 96 v6 with a good manual transmission. From researching I think it'll bolt up just fine. My questions are is that true? If so how well will it hold up to the v8/302/5.0? And what all parts I can use off it on mine? I'm thinking transmission and clutch pedals or can I use the clutch fork and other parts? Thanks in advance!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Ive gone over all this with you.

The transmission will bolt up perfectly. You will need a 5.0 flywheel and clutch setup. You will need the clutch pedals, the clutch cable, the transmission wiring harness, the entire transmission (bell housing and clutch fork included). You will have to get a shifter and the trim around the shifter inside. Youll have to cut part of the floor away to fit the shifter. You will need the 5 speed cross member and trans mount. Your driveshaft should be the same. Then you will have to correct you speedometer using either a gear on the sensor or using a speedcal from american muscle. Finally you will need to either get your computer tuned (you will have to purchase a chip for this) or you can buy a computer from a 5 speed gt.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In addition, the gears in the V6 are different from the V8 - they are not as strong and have a slightly different ratio. If you are just driving your V8 normally and not adding a bunch of power, probably this will not be an issue. If you plan on increasing the amount of torque the engine makes then you may run into issues later on.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Ive gone over all this with you.

The transmission will bolt up perfectly. You will need a 5.0 flywheel and clutch setup. You will need the clutch pedals, the clutch cable, the transmission wiring harness, the entire transmission (bell housing and clutch fork included). You will have to get a shifter and the trim around the shifter inside. Youll have to cut part of the floor away to fit the shifter. You will need the 5 speed cross member and trans mount. Your driveshaft should be the same. Then you will have to correct you speedometer using either a gear on the sensor or using a speedcal from american muscle. Finally you will need to either get your computer tuned (you will have to purchase a chip for this) or you can buy a computer from a 5 speed gt.

I pretty much know and understand what parts I need for the swap itself was wondering what v6 parts I could take from the v6 car to work in mine. He's selling it for $300 because he can't get the title said it was an abandoned vehicle that a highway patrol officer seized and bought from auction. Plus I've under the weather the last few days and it's been awhile since you to old me what parts are interchangeable between them.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I pretty much know and understand what parts I need for the swap itself was wondering what v6 parts I could take from the v6 car to work in mine. He's selling it for $300 because he can't get the title said it was an abandoned vehicle that a highway patrol officer seized and bought from auction. Plus I've under the weather the last few days and it's been awhile since you to old me what parts are interchangeable between them.

No problems man. If he is selling it for $300 then get it. Everything you need for the swap will cross over accept the computer and the clutch/flywheel.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
In addition, the gears in the V6 are different from the V8 - they are not as strong and have a slightly different ratio. If you are just driving your V8 normally and not adding a bunch of power, probably this will not be an issue. If you plan on increasing the amount of torque the engine makes then you may run into issues later on.

Okay thanks I've found that out through research I'm not planning on doing anything anytime soon just wanting to get back into dependable running and driving condition again just has an drop in k&n filter and magnaflow exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online