97 Cobra Cooling issues!

the.greg

Reaction score
This is where you should be filling coolant with the small funnel I mentioned if that was unclear. You may need a locking plyers to get the plug off, atleast thats what I use.
coolanttube.jpg

the.greg

Reaction score
Thanks man I really appreciate it, but when you say remove the cross over plug which one are you refering to?
Let me get a pic for you^

Edit: upon further inspection I think you can use a 1/4 socket to remove the plug, but I also have used a set of locking plyers.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Squeezing the lower hose after you fill it squeezes air out too.

Sent by smoke signals

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
sorry for the late post but i did and it helped out a bit, now the temp gauge reads more towards the center with a little hint on the hotter side.

NJcobra94

Reaction score
take the cap off the rad and look for bubble in the coolant while the car is running.. if there is then its blown head gaskets, which are a pain in the ass to do on moduar motots....

CCobraW

Reaction score
There's a TSB for our cars. They replaced the ac condenser in 98??? To one where the fins were more spread out (less fins) They also added a diff radiator other things. I had the same problem, I just had a new engine put in and saw it getting hot. Had a aluminum radiator put in and another fan that's mounted up to the condenser that's wired with the main one, so it pushes while the other pulls. Running cooler, but it's also getting cooler out. I'm probably going to have to swap to a newer style condenser when next summer rolls around.

BigBore96

Reaction score
There's a TSB for our cars. They replaced the ac condenser in 98??? To one where the fins were more spread out (less fins) They also added a diff radiator other things. I had the same problem, I just had a new engine put in and saw it getting hot. Had a aluminum radiator put in and another fan that's mounted up to the condenser that's wired with the main one, so it pushes while the other pulls. Running cooler, but it's also getting cooler out. I'm probably going to have to swap to a newer style condenser when next summer rolls around.

This TSB was for the 96's only. The 97+ did not have that issue.

And OP, One other thing you can do. Is drill some holes in your thermostat. I've done it to all my stangs and they run cooler and basically burp themselves.
Pertaining to your fan. With the car off, unplug and inspect the fan plug. It's common for them to burn up and cause issues with them not turning on and such.
And be careful with the crossover plug. They can be a PITA. I upgraded mine to a CNC custom made one and have never looked back.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah go figure... I have a small leak back passenger side of the engine.. Hope its not the intake... It can sit and idle with the AC on and its fine.. But on the hwy it creap up to the a and l then if I sit long enough somewhere it will come down slowly back to the middle.. I'm going to pull the intake in two weeks.. Clean the imrcs... Hope I find the leak in the process.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Yeah go figure... I have a small leak back passenger side of the engine.. Hope its not the intake... It can sit and idle with the AC on and its fine.. But on the hwy it creap up to the a and l then if I sit long enough somewhere it will come down slowly back to the middle.. I'm going to pull the intake in two weeks.. Clean the imrcs... Hope I find the leak in the process.

Its not the intake. 0 coolant running through them. Chances are its the back of the head with a tube connected to it out of a freeze plug hole. My mind is pulling a blank right now on proper terms. You can't miss it though. Its got the heater hoses connect to it. Highly likely the hoses going bad or the part that's bolted in the head itself, although its not as common. Either way if either is your problem then its an easy fix. You don't have to worry about the intake

Once you are finished, you should flush the coolant, drill some holes in the t stat, and properly burp the system and it should be good to go.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Also had a 1/2 gap between the radiator and fan.. Used an old hose split in half insert it around the fan shroud help it seal so it only sucks air from the outside and not from the engine bay..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Nah it stop leaking.. I thinking it was getting a lil to much Pressure from getting hot.. It stop leaking but I'm pretty sure it will start again one day..

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
She still runs towards the hotter side but stays within the Normal range. I haven't driven her that much this week but it doesnt seem like theres any coolant leak. I check the level daily and she seems fine. Does anyone know the operating temp for our cars? it is 180 degrees correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online