Reaction score
I'll have to admit... this does look a lot better:

52032025939_a897b4c15c_c.jpg

OP
OP
chithead

chithead

Reaction score
Also upgraded tires - all four wore out BFGs have been replaced with Toyo Extensa HP II 275/40R17:

52018982055_1c2e19a992_c-jpg.16752

52018505803_1dbd85d778_c-jpg.16753

Also had an alignment done - drives so much better now. The tire shop commented on all the new parts underneath. At least they pretended to be a little impressed.

OP
OP
chithead

chithead

Reaction score
Quick update on that transmission leaking - finally had a chance to drop the pan after confirming the dipstick tube wasn't leaking anymore, but fluid was all around the gasket area. The gasket looked to be just fine, everything was SUPER clean inside which leads me to believe the seller wasn't lying about the transmission being rebuilt right before I bought the car.

But the pan... it looked like it had been dropped into some dirt and gravel, then they just popped the gasket back on and bolted up. Very strange. I cleaned it up really well, used the new FelPro gasket, and no more leaks so far! For the first time in 2 years, all the fluids are staying inside!!! It's kind of a strange feeling actually.

OP
OP
chithead

chithead

Reaction score
Some updated pictures of how she sits today:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Had some issues lately that are prompting a mini gut and rebuild. Maybe tackle some wiring demons and do a freshen up of the interior. Exterior definitely needs something too. Can't decide whether to just touch up those paint spots and get a complete clearcoat, or maybe try a wrap? Leaning towards getting her back to that Bright Atlantic Blue glory though. Anywho, more updates to follow as we keep working on her.

OP
OP
chithead

chithead

Reaction score
Thank you! I even thought about trying to embrace the faded spots and put like bare metal looking airbrush, or a faux airplane hide, checkerboard, American flag tearing through, something... but that blue is just so pretty.

Ordered an electric fan, CCRM, and new fan harness plug today. The fan decided to quit working and overheat the engine. Thought she was pretty much toast after getting back home the other night, but she still seems to run ok.

Also have some lighting upgrades arriving soon, maybe tackle that exhaust again.

OP
OP
chithead

chithead

Reaction score
Forgot to update also, have had a hard starting at times since owning the car. Recently replaced the crankshaft position sensor since it was suggested as a possible reason, and was pretty cheap. However, as with everything else, ended up replacing the cam sensor, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, intake temp sensor, EGR valve and EGR sensor... only to find out she still was a struggle to start again.

Found a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and put that in. Also replaced the tank to filter fuel line as I boogered it up pretty bad trying to remove from the stock pump. She cranked right up with just half a key turn. Starts every time, no problem.

But now there is a fuel smell. Not sure what that's about, but can definitely smell gas after replacing that pump. Can't see any leaks anywhere, wondering if the pressure regulator might be faulty, or the charcoal canister could be bad. Haven't done a tune yet after getting the larger throttle body, thought about getting one of those SCT X4 and adjust some things.

Really leaning towards trying a PI head swap now. Thinking NPI Stage 2 cams though to avoid any chance of piston to valve contact. But if going through all that, there is a guy local with an Aviator block , 4V "C" heads, and Mach 1 intake that is awfully tempting to play around with. I mean if you're gonna upgrade... why not take it up another notch.

Venompower

Reaction score
Forgot to update also, have had a hard starting at times since owning the car. Recently replaced the crankshaft position sensor since it was suggested as a possible reason, and was pretty cheap. However, as with everything else, ended up replacing the cam sensor, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, intake temp sensor, EGR valve and EGR sensor... only to find out she still was a struggle to start again.

Found a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and put that in. Also replaced the tank to filter fuel line as I boogered it up pretty bad trying to remove from the stock pump. She cranked right up with just half a key turn. Starts every time, no problem.

But now there is a fuel smell. Not sure what that's about, but can definitely smell gas after replacing that pump. Can't see any leaks anywhere, wondering if the pressure regulator might be faulty, or the charcoal canister could be bad. Haven't done a tune yet after getting the larger throttle body, thought about getting one of those SCT X4 and adjust some things.

Really leaning towards trying a PI head swap now. Thinking NPI Stage 2 cams though to avoid any chance of piston to valve contact. But if going through all that, there is a guy local with an Aviator block , 4V "C" heads, and Mach 1 intake that is awfully tempting to play around with. I mean if you're gonna upgrade... why not take it up another notch.
Pull the reference line off the fuel pressure regulator and if there is gas in it the regulator is toast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online