99-04 Mustang GT catback on 96-98 Cobra

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the correct place to start this thread or not. Moderators if its not please move it and let me know. Anyways I know a few people have asked on other forums and maybe this one too if you can put a 99-04 GT catback on a 96-98 Cobra. Well good news, you can. There are a few differences though. The piping is the same on these catbacks but the hangers are a little different. The first hanger thats behind the muffler looks to be the same, but the bracket for the 99+ models were designed different. You can use your stock mounting bracket or the 99+ one, it doesnt matter. What matters the most os the rear hanger. The 99+ uses a longer rod that is mounted farther back on the exhaust. This bracket though can be modified to work with the stock hanger. All you have to do is get a torch and a close ended wrench. Heat the hanger up and place the wrench around the rod and use it as leverage to bend it. The rod is fairly hard to bend but with enough heat will bend easily. When I was bending them I had the original catback next to the 99+ one for reference. I would take measurements from the connector at the front of the catback on both and get them as close as possible. Next take a measurement of the height of the rod and make them as close as possible to original. Finally take a measurement of the offset side to side of the rod and again make them as close as possible. Once you make all 3 of these the same or close you can slide your old hanger on and install the exhaust. The good thing about doing this is that 99+ catbacks offer more brand options and are typically cheaper also. Personally I did this because I have a 01 GT parts car that had a nice catback on it that I wanted to put on my cobra. I will upload pics of the mounted exhaust later this evening. Take your time and it will line up perfect!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
why didn't you just take the tailpipe hangers off the 01 and put them on your 96? Mine are even held on with zip ties and it works just fine.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I had no hangers and they were different so I just modified them which was pretty easy and it holds it really well.

lady_in_red

Reaction score
can you put an exhaust from a 94-98 on a 04 Mach1?? My brother had an 03 cobra and said you can't, but I was told you'd just have to bend the tip hangers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online