About dropping this trans....

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
How do I go about doing it? I know the mid pipe has to be removed, driveshaft removed, clutch cable removed, obviously needs to be unbolted, and trans mount removed.. But anything else I should know about? And is there an easy way to go about doing this? My first transmission drop so I'd like to know everything before I go tearing into it and break shit

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Forgot about the shifter, thanks RZ. And starter too? Damn I heard that thing is a PITA to remove... Guess I'll be finding out soon enough!

chris91

Reaction score
You need about a 3ft extension to get the starter out. And you can either remove the intake manifold or use a bunch of extensions and a swivel to get the top two bell housing bolts out. Other than that, its a breeze....

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Ha it's a breeze the man says....... Intake manifold eh? Well I have that down to a record time anymore so should it need to come off, that won't be terribly hard. I had a damned feeling that it was gonna be a pita...

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The third starter bolt sucks balls. I didn't even put it back in when I put everything back together, haven't had any issues since and removing the starter is easy now

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

Wichers123

Reaction score
The third starter bolt sucks balls. I didn't even put it back in when I put everything back together, haven't had any issues since and removing the starter is easy now

Haha I did the same thing, I had to drop my kmember down to get it out with my long tubes..

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Make sure you get the car absolutely as high as possible. When I dropped my trans, I quickly discovered that my jackstands didn't quite go high enough to get the trans out from under the car. I was so pissed I just stood in the engine bay and pulled it out the hole where the engine was. I then threw it as hard as I could over the car.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
^lol yeah I usually throw mine over my house.

Thanks for the tips guys. I read in many places last night to leave the third bolt out. So that I will do

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Nope have decided I'm parking the car for the season. After talking to my parents neither of us have the money to get it fixed and I don't want it sitting in my driveway without a trans in it.

Believe me I'm no slow worker lol I can have it out in no time with the right tools. I'm pretty ****in pissed with this car this year..... Now I get to spend the season in my Grand Am and fix my jeep....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Oh and make sure you remove the bolts from the sheet metal bell housing cover/guard before you try to pull off the trans, or else it'll catch between the the block and the flywheel and you'll spend an hour wondering why the damn thing won't come out.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
as everyone said.

#1) starter (i just put two bolts in mine when i put it back in.... If you have long tube headers, put all three bolts because you'll have to drop the engine to change the starter with LTs anyways. lol)
#2) scatter plate (dont forget the bottom two bolts. they always sneak up on me. had to put my tranny on twice because i forgot to put the plate back in. lol.)
#3) about 100 different swivels and extensions wont be enough to get the top two bolts on the bell housing. good luck LOL :p (i tease. i tease.) I suggest unbolting the engine mounts from the k-member, that gives you a little room to play if you want to lower/raise the motor/trans assembly.
#4) drain the fluid, but dont refill it until you put the transmission back in the car. Then re-fill it from the shifter area instead of the fill-hole. its about 1,000x easier and 1,000,000x less messy. lol.
#5) have the driveshaft inspected while its out. for $45.00 they'll service the u-joints and re-balance it. just cheap peace-of-mind. The shop i took mine to even painted mine (which pissed me off because mines aluminum.... wtf.)
#6) inspect pivot ball before you re-install. perfect time to replace it (for $20.00) before it goes back in. if its not flattening out dont worry about it.

the.greg

Reaction score
Also jack up the front of the engine gently to get a better angle for sliding the transmission out.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I have a big ass 5 foot extension with a swivel socket like this one in my tool box for transmission jobs as it makes trans r&r a lot faster.
Snap-on-6-Point-Swivel-Ball-Extension-Sockets.jpg

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh... I remember doing all of this on my sixer. Those top two bell housing bolts are a ****ing son of a *****. I had a hell of a time on them. I was so pissed that day... :angry7:

img005.jpg
img023.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Not sure on the 4.6, but the 5.0 you can get to the bell bolts with a wrench from the top.

Anyway, one other tip ...

Do the shifter 1st, nothing like being dirty as shit and getting the interior all f*d up.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and walkthrough's fellas that'll make this job a lot easier when it comes time to drop. Sorry to disappoint anyone who clicked on this thinking I had dropped it and posted pics..... It's been decided that I can't afford to repair it for a long time to come so I'm gonna have to call it an early season and pull insurance on it :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online