About to Buy a Porter Cable. Suggest Some Products to Use with It

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
So I'm almost definitely going to buy a Porter Cable right after Christmas. My car needs a real detailing, and a couple of my brothers have expressed interest in getting a decent buffer. After using some POS Walmart special wax spreaders earlier this week on my sister-in-laws Tahoe, I realized just how badly I need a good buffer to do any kind of good work.

BUT, I've run into a bit of a snag in that I can't decide what products to get to use with it. I'd like stuff that is [relatively] cheap and easy to use for a beginner. While I consider myself relatively able when it comes to detailing (as I've done a lot of over-the-counter type stuff for years now), I still would rather avoid something that requires professional level of expertise to use properly.

That being said, here's what I'm looking for:

1. A decent compound. I don't need one for my car, but some vehicles that I've been asked to do in the past definitely did. I was thinking Meguiar's 105.
2. A medium-heavy swirl remover. Something that I would use on a car that has the usual swirls and water spots, but doesn't need a compound.
3. A polish. Something with minor correcting ability, but primarily used as a final step to really bring the clarity out. Was thinking Meguiar's 205.
4. A glaze or sealant. Not as important right now, as I've been using Meguiar's NXT Tech wax for this step with good results, but I'm almost out and need a replacement. I've heard nothing but good things about the Wolfgang DGPS, but it is expensive! Something comparable at a cheaper price would be nice.

I've already got a couple of decent waxes (Meguiar's #16 and Autoglym HD), so I've got that covered.

Also, 6.5" pads or 5.5" pads for the PC? I've got my eye on the deal at Autogeek which includes the PC, 5" backing plate, Pinnacle pad cleaner and conditioner, and 7 6.5" pads for $200. Also looking a similar kit with 6 5.5" pads for the same price. Not sure which is better to use.

So, I'm all ears. Feel free to post any advice you may have. Thanks!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
From someone who has used a PC for years and detailed a lot of cars with a PC and rotary heres my .02 cents on what to do.

The best, most effective setup ive found is using M105 and M205 with the Surbuf Pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/surbuf-55-i...m_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE

Those are surbuf pads if your not familiar.

You can get some amazing results with just the m105 and a surbuf pad.

I like to finish up with m205 and a softer foam pad usually.

Trust me, you wont be disappointed. It still amazes me how you can get such great results with 1 stage, m105 and surbuf.

M105 likes to be wet so I would wet the pad before using it.

Skip the glaze.

Waxes all do the same thing.

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score
From someone who has used a PC for years and detailed a lot of cars with a PC and rotary heres my .02 cents on what to do.

The best, most effective setup ive found is using M105 and M205 with the Surbuf Pads.

http://www.autogeek.net/surbuf-55-i...m_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE

Those are surbuf pads if your not familiar.

You can get some amazing results with just the m105 and a surbuf pad.

I like to finish up with m205 and a softer foam pad usually.

Trust me, you wont be disappointed. It still amazes me how you can get such great results with 1 stage, m105 and surbuf.

M105 likes to be wet so I would wet the pad before using it.

Skip the glaze.

Waxes all do the same thing.
explain why you would use a surbuf pad over a regular orange cutting pad please. i have heard of people using them, but dont have any experience with them.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
explain why you would use a surbuf pad over a regular orange cutting pad please. i have heard of people using them, but dont have any experience with them.

They have little "microfiber fingers"...Almost like a light wool pad I guess.

Either way, I read about them and figured id try them out and can honestly say that they impressed me a lot.

Surbuf pad with m105 will cut way better than an orange pad an followed up with 205 gives amazing results from a PC and a 2 stage system

Sinned83

Reaction score
I didnt see anybody answer the question about the pad size make sure you get the 5.5 with the PC

Slykin

Reaction score
Definitely +1 on wetting your pad down before using M105. Makes a huge difference..

As far as sealants go, I use Klass sealant and it's alright... I'm never sure just how much I should put on, but it seems to work decent.

Slykin

Reaction score
I think that's my problem.. I need new pads. I'm 70% sure my orange pads are just re-scratching my paint :/

2v_takeover

Reaction score
I'm using the PC right now but the current pads that I have seem to bog down the machine even under its own weight. Just wondering if these surbuf R pads are any different. Kind of annoying trying to apply the final polish and the pad firmness is so soft that it bogs the PC down, hoping these will be my solution?? :)

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm using the PC right now but the current pads that I have seem to bog down the machine even under its own weight. Just wondering if these surbuf R pads are any different. Kind of annoying trying to apply the final polish and the pad firmness is so soft that it bogs the PC down, hoping these will be my solution?? :)

The porter cable will bog if you push too hard...your not really supposed to apply that much pressure.

The surbuf pads should cut better with less pressure and I would say that they have less "bog" than a normal pad.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I use a porter cable 7424xp almost everyday.... and when its in speed 6 I cant bog the machine down.

Just for the record, I hate surbuff pads. I never get a good result from them. I got a few from CG, and i can never get them to finish down. Orange Pad Followed by White pad usually does it for me.

I have been ballin with the hexlogic pads with good results for a few years now.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use a porter cable 7424xp almost everyday.... and when its in speed 6 I cant bog the machine down.

Just for the record, I hate surbuff pads. I never get a good result from them. I got a few from CG, and i can never get them to finish down. Orange Pad Followed by White pad usually does it for me.

I have been ballin with the hexlogic pads with good results for a few years now.

What polishes did you try?

They seem to pair well with the m105 and m205. Not really sure about anything else.

And I would consider the surbuf pad more of a cutting pad so im not sure why you would try/ expect it to finish like a finishing pad.

It probably depends on how hard the paint is as well. Obviously on softer paint you may need a soft finishing pad vs a hard paint you may be able to get away with a surbuf and m205.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried like every polish out there except scholl(sp). Need to get those.

Even with 205, I couldnt get a good finish with surbuf pads. Yeah, they cut hard when you need some cutting.... I but i rarely need that cutting power.

My stang hasnt been polished in over 9 months.... It has some wash marring and swirls, but i am just gonna go over the car with a Green Hexlogic pad and V36 and all the swirls will be gone in 1 step.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

Even with 205, I couldnt get a good finish with surbuf pads. Yeah, they cut hard when you need some cutting.... I but i rarely need that cutting power.

My stang hasnt been polished in over 9 months.... It has some wash marring and swirls, but i am just gonna go over the car with a Green Hexlogic pad and V36 and all the swirls will be gone in 1 step.

Gotcha....seems like every car is different. Surbuf works great on my turd

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thats the truth about detailing.... everything is different and needs different approaches.

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score

Anything wrong with Lake Country vs. Hexlogic pads? And 5.5" or 6.5"?

And will I be good with the 105/205 combo? Or would you recommend the CG V34/36/38 stuff?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online