ABS sensors missing

SN95_Project

Reaction score
Can someone point me (or show pics from their car) to a wiring diagram for the ABS sensors? My son and I are finally working on the suspension kit we bought from MM and when we were working on coilovers we noticed that the ABS sensors weren't there. If they didn't chop the harness, we're going to go ahead and replace them. Any idea on why someone would do that (other than to save a couple bucks)?

Also, I thought I needed a new rack and pinion, but after looking at it, I'm not 100% sure (I'm good at replacing - not so much with diagnosing). I am attaching a pic below. It looks much "dryer" on the passneger side than on the right. Could it just be oil or something leaking down onto the rack? I mean, it IS a 27 yr old car. Something is gonna leak... I think that's the oil filter over the top of it. It IS a little low on PS fluid. Just didn't want to tear it off for no reason as I've heard so much bad about remanufactured racks and that's all I can find.rack.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok first am I seeing that right that your jacking the car up from the front of the oil pan? That is the drain plug right on the side right? That could be one source of a leak or now the portion of the pan gasket that was crushed.

I am not surprised to hear about people pulling out their abs. If you were to ask them why it might be because they needed room for turbo's for example or also just because they are good enough drivers that they just do not need it.

Are you just wanting pics of the wiring schematic? Pics of the harnesses or locations or?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
First, not a good idea to jack the weight of the car by the oil pan.

As for the wet spot on the driver side, right above is usually where the oil filter housing is so when it's spun off for an oil change it all leaks down - thanks, Ford.

As for the rack & pinion, if it behaves well on the road best not to open the system and tinker. Just top off the fluid, observe for a couple thousand miles, and let er be.

Monday

Reaction score
27yrs old car??

Just delete the ABS. Was not standard equipment in any car up to '96... if you're wondering.

Monday

Reaction score
PS Have you pulled those boots off the steering? It might or not might look like a milkshake. That'll tell ya everything you need to know.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
First - thank you everyone for the feedback!
Second - no worries on the oil pan. I didn’t Jack it up that way - it’s just the angle of the pic. I had it on Jack stands and I always keep the Jack under the car (little to no pressure on the Jack - just there) in case a stand fails. I just had bumped the Jack and moved it before the pic. Good advice though!

As far as the sensors and pics/diagram - I essentially would like to know where they plug into the harness in the engine compartment. Not sure if the harness was cut or if they just didn’t put in the sensors. Not sure if I ever mentioned it but the car has been in a wreck at some point (front end collision) and not sure if they pulled them to be cheap or if one was damaged and they pulled them for some other reason, etc. any pics regarding the location will be appreciated. If the harness has been cut, I’ll probably just let it be. If not, I’ll probably buy them and put them on just to get rid of the light.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
PS Have you pulled those boots off the steering? It might or not might look like a milkshake. That'll tell ya everything you need to know.
I have not. I did t want to cause more issues. Can you give me a little more detail on what to look for and how I would replace/reinstall the boots if there are no issues? I believe it leaks SOME (like a few drops per week - and I know it isn’t engine oil), but not sure how much or where the leak would be coming from.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
New p/s fluid should be somewhat clear but definitely with a pink or red tint to it, usually. The older it gets with heat cycles, it turns to brown and no longer clear. Any signs of the aging can easily be seen just by sampling the reservoir though. You might not need to pull the rack boots. I'm a big believer in the if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just make sure that if you ever replace any boot, be it rack boot or a CV boot if the car has them, to use factory originals. Those universal replacements should NEVER be purchased. I don't even know why they sell them.

ABS sensors usually terminate in the upper fenderwell, just a simple two-wire connector. If you see a couple of black wires hanging out going nowhere, that's one likely suspect.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
So I THINK I found the receptacle for thr passenger side. See the attached pic. I also went crazy with degreaser and cleaned up the rack. It’s gonna have to come off anyway so I can replace the lower control arms during the coil over swap (doing that as it’s easier for me than pressing in ball joints). Cleaned off the oil filter and the general area around it. If something’s leaking, I should be able to see it.

Any help on where I might find the receptacle for the abs sensor on the driver side? Thanks!

Attachments

• E9CF7605-0CE3-4EAD-BFA0-32610655301D.jpeg
    E9CF7605-0CE3-4EAD-BFA0-32610655301D.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 14

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is the spout you pull out to adj the timing.

take the tire off and it should mount to the frame rail area if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
that is the spout you pull out to adj the timing.

take the tire off and it should mount to the frame rail area if I remember correctly.
Oh! Lol! Glad I didn’t mess with it!

I can see where they mounted inside the wheel well. I just don’t see the receptacle.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might need to pull the inner fender liner out to find it. Follow the large wire harness that makes its way around the engine and it could be tucked/tied up to it.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
you might need to pull the inner fender liner out to find it. Follow the large wire harness that makes its way around the engine and it could be tucked/tied up to it.
That's part of my problem. I think they just cut off the receptacles. That's why I was hoping someone had actual under-hood pics. I'll get to sleuthing! Thanks! :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looking at my wiring manual it shows that it should be a short harness that comes off of the main harness that snakes around the outside of the engine bay under the fender. I can't seem to find a pic of the harness yet but it looks like the inner fender would have to come out to find it honestly.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
They should be on fixed mounts right near the top of the strut towers just before they go into their upper bushings, still inside the wheel well. They are two-pin connectors, vaguely cylindrical. I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Forgot to snap the pic, but the connector (if it's still there on your car) will be inside the fenderwell just forward of either strut. So this is between the black plastic splash shield and the strut tower. Can't miss it.

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
They must have cut them out then. Looks like I need to find a wiring diagram and see if they just cut the wires flush with the harness.

It’s probably not worth the hassle at this point but I gotta solve the puzzle!

OP
OP
S

SN95_Project

Reaction score
So back to the rack and pinion... I degreased it really well a couple weeks back and can now see that a lot of the fittings around the metal lines are leaking a bit. Also, while doing the coil-over kit from MM today, I busted one of the boots. :( Any tips on where to get either an OEM boot or a decent rack? I looked at LMR. They don't have one for a '96. Are all SN95 racks the same? I don't mind spending more for something good - I just don't want to botch a rack.. Also, would I be better off to try and replace the boot and seals with a new seal kit and call it a day? Lastly, any tricks to bleeding a rack and pinion, or does that not need to be done since there's a return line?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online