Absolute newbie with questions

jun10r

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first ever Mustang and it has been 25 years since my last sports car! Lots of stupid teen racing stuff as a kid in the streets and such.

So now as a "responsible" guy in his mid 40s, I want to be able to play with my new toy but legally and as safe as possible.

There are two local drag ways, both about 30 miles in either direction from home. Piedmont & Farmington. (North Carolina)

I see some terms like Test and Tune which sounds like a good night to go try this stuff out, but honestly do not know the "procedure" for this whole thing and hope you can help out.

I am assuming there will be a sign up process, so if you are coming into the drag way is there normally signs saying registration or such for "drivers?"

Any guesses on the cost for registering and running down the track a couple times? I saw someone mention that NC, no helmets required unless faster than a certain speed? Even then, I have a couple motorcycle helmets, better than "nothing" I would assume? (If I do this regular, yes I will buy a race/car helmet!)

If there is a newbie guide to non-professional type racing I would love a link. The stuff I have found so far is for people wanting to become full on racers. I just want to see what my car will do for the heck of it!?

Other "newbie" questions, this is a convertible, I saw pictures of another one with their top up during the race? Not sure what the etiquette is for that? Windows up/down?

Thanks for the help! (94 GT vert, automagic, cams, CAI, X-exhaust, just bought it this week so figuring out what I have here!)

Jr

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Helmets are required for anything running 13.9 or quicker. Test and tune prices will vary depending on the track but generally are around $30. Once your all signed in you have to go through an inspection process where they just look the car over and look for any safety violations. Any kind of helmet is fine as long as it meets the current DOT requirements.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Great article. I am def. going to hit a local drag way asap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT3FC

Reaction score
If its a drag strip it will either be NHRA or IHRA. each have their on specifications for what is needed on a car that preforms at a certain level. The easiest thing to do would be to gind out if its an NHRA or IRA track then look up their rules and regulations. NHRA and IHRA rules and regulations are very similar.

OP
OP
J

jun10r

Reaction score
Ok, eyeballing my drag racing debut this week!! Local Test and Tune on Thursday night at Piedmont Dragway. 1/8th mile course.

I am hearing $15 per person for my admission and then $10 for (unlimited?) runs.

It will be an interesting time, I will report back.

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first ever Mustang and it has been 25 years since my last sports car! Lots of stupid teen racing stuff as a kid in the streets and such.

So now as a "responsible" guy in his mid 40s, I want to be able to play with my new toy but legally and as safe as possible.

There are two local drag ways, both about 30 miles in either direction from home. Piedmont & Farmington. (North Carolina)

I see some terms like Test and Tune which sounds like a good night to go try this stuff out, but honestly do not know the "procedure" for this whole thing and hope you can help out!
Test and Tune is the best time to go for your first time. There is no pressure of the competition. And there will be a good chance for other newbies being there as well.

I am assuming there will be a sign up process, so if you are coming into the drag way is there normally signs saying registration or such for "drivers?"
At Piedmont you usually pay entry at the gates going into the pits. Not sure for their Test-N-Tune but usually there is a small trailer to register/ pay to run. Just ask whomever is working the gate.
I'm not sure about Farmington. I've only been there once.

Any guesses on the cost for registering and running down the track a couple times? I saw someone mention that NC, no helmets required unless faster than a certain speed? Even then, I have a couple motorcycle helmets, better than "nothing" I would assume? (If I do this regular, yes I will buy a race/car helmet!)

Piedmont is $15 gate and another $10 to run T-N-T. http://www.piedmontdragway.com/
Piedmont doesn't require a helmet if you run slower than 8.00. But being as it's a test and tune a helmet would be a good option for any speed. No telling what could happen to the car in the other lane. They don't usually check but most require at least DOT 2005 rating.

If there is a newbie guide to non-professional type racing I would love a link. The stuff I have found so far is for people wanting to become full on racers. I just want to see what my car will do for the heck of it!

I've seen an excellent write-up some where. I will have to find it.

Other "newbie" questions, this is a convertible, I saw pictures of another one with their top up during the race? Not sure what the etiquette is for that? Windows up/down

Windows must be up any time the car is on the racing surface. So roll them up before you pull into the burnout area.

Thanks for the help! (94 GT vert, automagic, cams, CAI, X-exhaust, just bought it this week so figuring out what I have here!)

Jr

Some answers written in red above!

When you first get there take some time and watch how things are moving. Watch what other drivers are doing and pay attention to the announcements as sometimes they have certain lanes to pull in for certain classes.
Don't worry about getting your absolute best time the first time out. Take that time to learn how everything proceeds.
If your running street radials pull around the water box. And do just a light "dry" spin to clean the tires. No John Force burnouts required here. Pay attention to the guys up on the starting line as they will let you know when to pull into the burnout box and when to do the burnout.

When you stage do what we call courtesy staging. Basically you pull up to the starting line without lighting any bulbs. Then creep in and light the top yellow bulb (pre-stage) only. Wait until the other lane pulls in and lights their top bulb. Then you can move in to light the second bulb (staged). After both lanes have lit the 2nd bulb then the 3 big yellow lights will come on. Either one at a time for a Sportsman Tree or all at once for a Pro Tree. Then the green light will come on.
Tip: Leave when you see the 3rd large bulb come on to get a better reaction time. Though this will vary a small amount by several factors including the car, the driver, and how shallow or deep you staged. But this knowledge will come later after you've gotten used to everything else first. So don't worry about reaction times on your first outing.

Piedmont and Farmington are both 1/8 mile and IHRA sanctioned tracks. And Piedmont (as well as Roxboro and probably Farmington as well) do not usually check over the cars too much. Especially on TnT nights.

Most of all have fun and absorb all the information you can!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.